“Service and view!”

Smarty's Bar and Grill
Ranked #32 of 45 Restaurants in Niantic
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Smarty's was suggested by a shop owner in Niantic. It's on a pretty busy intersection, but has an outdoor eating area with a view of the bay. A 1 PM lunch on a Tuesday and I think I was the only customer. The two daily specials was 1 1/4 pounds of steamers (with chowder, either RI or NE) and a warm lobster roll. I decided to try both as to have some for dinner later. There were a lot of steamers, served with broth, butter and lemon. Steamers can be really good or really bad. My Dad's advice was to clean the heck out of them and then start over. These were flavorful, but very sandy, with broken shells. The lobster (no roll for me) was a medium size portion and good for July.
The server, Julie, was very attentive and friendly. I would return to Smarty's but skip the steamers next time.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

We stopped in for breakfast and the place definitely smells and feels like a bar. It just didn't feel like a clean restaurant. My toast was cold and they use fake maple syrup....my kid's picked up on immediately. The menu has misspellings on it. I would not go here again.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

My husband and I were on our first trip to Niantic and I had checked out trip advisor for all the restaurants first. We actually weren't going to make Smarty's one of our stops because I saw some mixed reviews online. But as we were walking down Main street picking up menus from each place I did go into Smarty's.
As soon as I walked in, I was greeted promptly by a very nice waitress named Jennifer. I asked for a take out menu and she showed me the lunch specials too. Since my husband and I were on a quest to try Lobster Rolls all over town, I was happy to see it on the specials. She said it wasn't a regular menu item. They really need to put it on the menu! I asked about certain things because of my food allergies and she was very knowledgeable. I thanked her for her help and said I would take the menu back to show my husband. She said she hoped to see us soon.
I showed my husband the menu, told him lobster rolls were on the lunch specials and said how nice and helpful Jennifer was as we were walking by. The great attitude of the waitress is what actually made us walk back through that door!
We walked in and she was happy to see us and said "I'm glad you came back". I asked to be seated in the coldest part of the restaurant. The room was darker had air conditioning and ceiling fans and was just perfect.
We decided to share the lobster roll and the Worcestershire-garlic burger. Our waitress raved about that burger so went w/it and added cheddar to it. It came with fries and a pickle too.(7.95+.50 cheese). The lobster roll came w/French fries and a pickle($13.99). I don't normally eat fries but I decided to have them. They were very crispy and tasty!
The burger was cooked perfectly medium rare, flavorful, juicy and just melted in your mouth! Neither one of us put any condiments on the burger(we always do) because it was that good. We even went for the burger first and not the lobster because it looked so good as we cut it in half that it never left our hands until we devoured it!
The lobster roll was served on a buttery toasted new England roll w/drawn butter on the side and fries. This lobster roll was the best value of the day out of the 4 lobster rolls we had that weekend.
As we were waiting for our food we continued to peruse the menu and Jennifer was happy to answer any questions about everything and was very knowledgeable and made recommendations for future visits. I've worked in the restaurant business for 12+ years and I am always happy to see a waitress not run back and forth to ask the kitchen questions every time you ask. We only were drinking ice water with our meal and even after she gave us our check she still came back and filled our glasses again. Really good waitress!
Pros- food and prices were great! Service outstanding! We noticed that all of the waitresses were helping each other out and worked well together.
Cons- Not a one!
My husband and I were so into our food that we never even noticed the view of the bay that we had! We can't wait for our next trip to Niantic and Smarty's!

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Awesome fried fish sandwich & broasted chicken was delicious - very moist. The portion sizes were great as well - especially with the broasted chicken dish!

Reviewed 2 June 2013

I have been trying Smartys since they started. The waitresses I experienced were mostly untrained. the food is sometimes okay I've had too many "bad experiences" that tell me it was more than chance.
Believe it or not they serve wine in what looks like a stemless water glass. Very unappealing. That says a lot about their ambiance. My wife and I have not gone back for over a year and a half because of all these things. Today we tried it again. Still using stemless wine glasses. My plate of steamers were foul smelling and some were cooked and others undercooked. I have washed my hands 4 times and haven't gotten the stink out yet. My wife ordered Ceasers salad and asked for the dressing to be "light". when it was served it looked like there was no dressing. the cook said they were using a clear dressing but in reality it was a strong vinegar taste that was more like Zesty Italian. Have you ever seen a clear Ceasar Salad dressing? I didn't think so.
We have made up our mind to not go back there.

1  Thank NianticResident