“Has Gone Downhill”

Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
East Lyme, CT
“Has Gone Downhill”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We decided to try Smarty's one more time as it was not too good this past winter, when I ate there with my son. In the past (last summer), it was excellent, but, it has been down hill since then. We ate outside and the waitress was very good. We waited quite a while for the food. I ordered the broasted chicken which was excellent last summer, however this time I should have sent it back. It was overcooked and dry and really did not taste too good. The baked potato looked like it had been re-baked and was very dry. My wife said her meal, the stuffed shrimp was very good. In the past, the outside sitting area is usually pretty filled up. Tonight, maybe only three other tables were taken. I guess others have also figured out that it has gone downhill! I will not be back!

• Visited August 2013

Berlin, Connecticut
“Once and never again”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Our first trip here, and we won't be back. Four of us were excited about this restaurant, we'd heard good things. My friend ordered the steak delmonaco medium rare and it came out well done. She sent it back and it came back so undercooked that It was actually raw in parts. We asked for the manager, and after waiting 10 minutes, no one came forward. We asked again, and were told the chef would come out. Another 10 minutes, no one came to see us, and we left. We paid for the steak anyway, since no one would talk to us, or offer to take it off the bill, but It was inedible. The clams were good, as we had heard, but both side dishes of the vegetable (zucchini) came out cold and had to be sent back. Our server was very nice but completely clueless, and it was clear she couldn't or didn't know how to help us, and was not supported by her managers. Very disappointing that the management team wasn't interested in making sure we had a good dining experience. Don't waste your money here.

• Visited August 2013
Montana
“Service and view!”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Smarty's was suggested by a shop owner in Niantic. It's on a pretty busy intersection, but has an outdoor eating area with a view of the bay. A 1 PM lunch on a Tuesday and I think I was the only customer. The two daily specials was 1 1/4 pounds of steamers (with chowder, either RI or NE) and a warm lobster roll. I decided to try both as to have some for dinner later. There were a lot of steamers, served with broth, butter and lemon. Steamers can be really good or really bad. My Dad's advice was to clean the heck out of them and then start over. These were flavorful, but very sandy, with broken shells. The lobster (no roll for me) was a medium size portion and good for July.
The server, Julie, was very attentive and friendly. I would return to Smarty's but skip the steamers next time.

Plano, Texas
“Smells bad, feels dirty, food not good.”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We stopped in for breakfast and the place definitely smells and feels like a bar. It just didn't feel like a clean restaurant. My toast was cold and they use fake maple syrup....my kid's picked up on immediately. The menu has misspellings on it. I would not go here again.

Wassaic, New York
“Excellent-We are definately going back!”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My husband and I were on our first trip to Niantic and I had checked out trip advisor for all the restaurants first. We actually weren't going to make Smarty's one of our stops because I saw some mixed reviews online. But as we were walking down Main street picking up menus from each place I did go into Smarty's.
As soon as I walked in, I was greeted promptly by a very nice waitress named Jennifer. I asked for a take out menu and she showed me the lunch specials too. Since my husband and I were on a quest to try Lobster Rolls all over town, I was happy to see it on the specials. She said it wasn't a regular menu item. They really need to put it on the menu! I asked about certain things because of my food allergies and she was very knowledgeable. I thanked her for her help and said I would take the menu back to show my husband. She said she hoped to see us soon.
I showed my husband the menu, told him lobster rolls were on the lunch specials and said how nice and helpful Jennifer was as we were walking by. The great attitude of the waitress is what actually made us walk back through that door!
We walked in and she was happy to see us and said "I'm glad you came back". I asked to be seated in the coldest part of the restaurant. The room was darker had air conditioning and ceiling fans and was just perfect.
We decided to share the lobster roll and the Worcestershire-garlic burger. Our waitress raved about that burger so went w/it and added cheddar to it. It came with fries and a pickle too.(7.95+.50 cheese). The lobster roll came w/French fries and a pickle($13.99). I don't normally eat fries but I decided to have them. They were very crispy and tasty!
The burger was cooked perfectly medium rare, flavorful, juicy and just melted in your mouth! Neither one of us put any condiments on the burger(we always do) because it was that good. We even went for the burger first and not the lobster because it looked so good as we cut it in half that it never left our hands until we devoured it!
The lobster roll was served on a buttery toasted new England roll w/drawn butter on the side and fries. This lobster roll was the best value of the day out of the 4 lobster rolls we had that weekend.
As we were waiting for our food we continued to peruse the menu and Jennifer was happy to answer any questions about everything and was very knowledgeable and made recommendations for future visits. I've worked in the restaurant business for 12+ years and I am always happy to see a waitress not run back and forth to ask the kitchen questions every time you ask. We only were drinking ice water with our meal and even after she gave us our check she still came back and filled our glasses again. Really good waitress!
Pros- food and prices were great! Service outstanding! We noticed that all of the waitresses were helping each other out and worked well together.
Cons- Not a one!
My husband and I were so into our food that we never even noticed the view of the bay that we had! We can't wait for our next trip to Niantic and Smarty's!