“Smarty's was not such a smart idea!- We'll never go back! Ever!”

Smarty's Bar and Grill
Ranked #32 of 45 Restaurants in Niantic
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Smarty's Bar & Grill 8/30/2013

On a recommendation from a friend we decided to go to Smarty's for dinner before taking in a movie. We were greeted right away and brought to a table outside facing the water. A one man band was entertaining so we thought we were in for a good time. Not so much! Turns out Smarty's was not the smartest choice. Awful does not do this place justice. Had we read the reviews BEFORE going there we surely would not have gone!

We just ordered appetizers to keep it fun. It took them 45 minutes to bring out cold sweet potato fries, cold potato skins, over cooked- dry and equally cold pulled pork nachos and guess what the chicken wings were... Yup, you guessed it also COLD! No plates or flatware so after we got tired of waiting I went inside to get my own flatware and plates. My wife never got water or the ice cubes for the drink she had. Those were brought well after the drink was finished. The milk shake I ordered never showed up and although I asked for extra salsa that never showed up either. I asked for the manager but she never came out. I had to go inside to find her. While listening to all the excuses for their awful service another diner also came inside looking to pay for his meal so they too could leave. Not surprisingly we shared the same waitress.

After I showed the manager the 3 latest bad reviews on TripAdvisor she offered to comp our meal which we refused. We were not looking for something for nothing, all we wanted was to have a good meal. Because the food was cold we sent it back. We did eat the potato skins and one drink so we paid for those and left. We will NEVER EVER set foot in this "restaurant" EVER again! Ever!

If horrible service, cold food, long wait for food and so-so entertainment is your idea of a fun time then this place is for you. If not, there are plenty of "smarter" choices than this place.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We had spent the day at Rocky Neck Beach and thought would stop for dinner before traveling home. Came across Smarty's Bar & Grille. Looked nice and had outside tables so we could extend a nice day. The waitress didn't bring us a wine list or mention the specials. The service was very, very slow and the food was of poor qualtity. We both had scrod, fried and baked, it tasted funny, everything was cold and my baked potatoe was not cooked, still hard in the middle. A waitress at another table put her tray on the ground where everyone was walking while taking the customers order. The ladies room lighting was so dim I could hardly see, no hot water to wash your hands or papertowel to dry them. I would suggest if in the area choose another place to eat as we surely will not go back there.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We decided to try Smarty's one more time as it was not too good this past winter, when I ate there with my son. In the past (last summer), it was excellent, but, it has been down hill since then. We ate outside and the waitress was very good. We waited quite a while for the food. I ordered the broasted chicken which was excellent last summer, however this time I should have sent it back. It was overcooked and dry and really did not taste too good. The baked potato looked like it had been re-baked and was very dry. My wife said her meal, the stuffed shrimp was very good. In the past, the outside sitting area is usually pretty filled up. Tonight, maybe only three other tables were taken. I guess others have also figured out that it has gone downhill! I will not be back!

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Our first trip here, and we won't be back. Four of us were excited about this restaurant, we'd heard good things. My friend ordered the steak delmonaco medium rare and it came out well done. She sent it back and it came back so undercooked that It was actually raw in parts. We asked for the manager, and after waiting 10 minutes, no one came forward. We asked again, and were told the chef would come out. Another 10 minutes, no one came to see us, and we left. We paid for the steak anyway, since no one would talk to us, or offer to take it off the bill, but It was inedible. The clams were good, as we had heard, but both side dishes of the vegetable (zucchini) came out cold and had to be sent back. Our server was very nice but completely clueless, and it was clear she couldn't or didn't know how to help us, and was not supported by her managers. Very disappointing that the management team wasn't interested in making sure we had a good dining experience. Don't waste your money here.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Smarty's was suggested by a shop owner in Niantic. It's on a pretty busy intersection, but has an outdoor eating area with a view of the bay. A 1 PM lunch on a Tuesday and I think I was the only customer. The two daily specials was 1 1/4 pounds of steamers (with chowder, either RI or NE) and a warm lobster roll. I decided to try both as to have some for dinner later. There were a lot of steamers, served with broth, butter and lemon. Steamers can be really good or really bad. My Dad's advice was to clean the heck out of them and then start over. These were flavorful, but very sandy, with broken shells. The lobster (no roll for me) was a medium size portion and good for July.
The server, Julie, was very attentive and friendly. I would return to Smarty's but skip the steamers next time.