“2nd Times a Charm”

Add it.
Rocky Neck Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Niantic
Reviewed 3 September 2013

august 21-23 ....our second visit was perfect! arrived a little early but ...yayo our room was freshly made up! everybody is always so happy and kind. unpacked and hit R.N.Park beach and boy was it crowded!!! ($15.00!) enjoyed the day. Went back to our comfy room. Saw Pam outside and asked her about passes we could get for another beach in town (free) Next 2 days went to McCooks Beach and it awas exactly what we love.......quieter, no rocks or junk and we could sit in our chairs with our feet in the water! The second night at Rocky Neck Inn we ordered take out from the adjacent sports bar. We went to pick it up and what a nice place~from the outdoor bar to the huge dining rooms and many TVs inside. We would highly recommend this lovely place for a little getaway! the rooms have fridge stove micro coffee pot... what more could you ask for.....oh yeah...a great candy store in town!!! :)

Room Tip: bring your own bacon n eggs! Whats better than breakfast in bed
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tking57

Reviewed 27 August 2013

We try to go back for a 'sisters' reunion' every year and always really enjoy it. This year only had time for one overnight. Arrived and the ever-helpful Pam changed us to a different room; I hadn't been clear enough about the number of beds we needed when I called to reserve the room back in May. We love it there, we enjoy the full size fridge, the gas stove plenty big for our appetizers, and the availability of gas grills on the big lawn out back, easily accessed for the smokers through the back door of the unit. Will keep going back, year after year. [Small bonus: the owner also owns the bar/café next door and we got a $5 discount with our room key. I got the best Clams Casino there I have had in years!]

Room Tip: If you have 3 adults or more, ask for the suite with 2 beds in the main room plus the separate bedro...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SassyKassy
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed here last June as part of a wedding party and were so pleased that we vacationed here again this year. The staff are super helpful, the apartment is spacious, well-equipped and clean. Itwas very both day and night, and the beach proximity is excellent. We visit relatives in various locations throughout the area as well as sightsee and findthe location unbeatable.

Room Tip: The efficiencies have a fully equipped kitchen - Perfect for a long term stay.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2013

With the name including "inn and suites", it conjures up an image of a quaint, cozy amenity filled lodging. However, this is NOT the case. Cinder block walls are not cozy. Neither is a shelf full of small appliances dangling off a plug strip. (fire hazard anyone?) We also loved the plastic mattress pads that crinkled all night long. A bonus was the internet. The cable came up through the floor in the bathroom! This place touts itself as "newly renovated" however fresh paint on a place like this is like putting lipstick on a pig. Would not recommend to anyone for any reason.

Room Tip: Not sure they have a good room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Just_Us_Here_Now
Reviewed 1 June 2013

my wife and i stayed for 1 night and we were very happy with our room. it felt more like a small condo with a back door that opened onto a beautifully trimmed lawn.our room had a king sized bed, a nice ceramic tile floor, a full size refrigerator, a spotless bathroom and an air conditioner that handled the 90 degree weather beautifully. maybe the Inn is not new but i have stayed in newer hotels that were not as nice. the staff was extremely friendly and the fact that you park about 30 feet from your room was very convenient. it was quiet except for the noise from local traffic but even that was barely noticeable. my only complaints are minor. the television could be higher. its a little difficult to see from the bed and a shower mat would be nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tking57
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

I arrived about 6:00pm. The desk clerk was quite friendly even referred to me by my firdt name. I inquired if there was an ice machine. She said not but there was an ice tray in the refrigerator in the room and there should be ice in it (there was no ice in it) or the on site restaurant had ice. As I got into my car to go to my room a Niantic police car drove through. When I parked my car in front of my room there was a group of loud people a few cars down. The room itself was neat & clean. The bathroom was badly in need of an updating. The bath had no electrical outlets. The mattress was encased in that terrible noisey plastic wrap. The restaurant was not open for breakfast. The discounted price drew me to The Rocky Neck Inn. I am not sure I would stay there if I had to pay full price.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank NanaP155
Reviewed 6 November 2012

At first glance, this motel looked like the kind of place I’d been looking for. It reminded me of the kind of motor court we used to stay in when I was a kid, right down to the Adirondack chairs outside the rooms. The motel is a long single-story series of red brick buildings, and looks like it’s been kept up well. The grounds in front are wooded and well-kept. Even after we entered, I was pleased with how nostalgic it felt. The rooms are very basic. Against the back wall were a fairly large fridge, microwave, toaster, dishes, and pretty much everything we would need if we were going to be eating in the room. We were even provided with a small bottle of dishwashing liquid. Even though the walls were all cinderblock except for the front wall, which was brick, it had a cozy feel with the way it was decorated. What I had forgotten since my college years was how well cinderblock conducts sound, especially low, bass sound. The motel seems to have quite a few long-term residents, and one of these was in the room next to us. I learned on our first night that he likes to keep his TV loud…all night. One of us did complain to the manager, and things quieted down for the first few nights of our week-long stay, but then the volume started to creep up again. Combine this with an uncomfortable bed and I can’t say I slept very well during our stay there. Not only was the mattress uncomfortable, but the plastic mattress cover kept popping off in the night, causing both it and the bottom sheet to keep bunching up under us during the night. The children that apparently live in other rooms considered the entire property their play area, including under our window. Even though the weather was nice and the windows could be opened, we kept them shut so we’d have at least some privacy. These children were unsupervised much of the time they were out there. As the week went on, and instance after instance of lack of consideration on the part of the longer-term residents built up (I only gave two examples here), our initial positive impression wore off. It appeared to me that the longer-term residents felt a sense of entitlement to the place, and that they felt didn’t need to show any consideration toward the shorter-term visitors.

A few comments on the room (rather minor, but I think they are worth being said): Our room smelled like the hair oil my dad used to use the entire time we stayed there. I never figured out why. Also, since it is an older motel, don’t expect the greatest water pressure in the shower.

On the positive side, the location is nice, right across the street from Rocky Neck State Park, which has a beach and hiking trails. It’s not right by I-95, so we didn’t have highway noise. It has a nice restaurant next door. It’s just a short drive to other restaurants and another beach in Niantic. Our wi-fi worked fine. I’d been concerned about that after reading some of the reviews. The manager was nice and the room was clean.

I really was disappointed, since I was looking forward to staying in a nostalgic, locally-owned business with more character than a chain motel. The motel itself is nice, and I would consider staying there again if they changed their focus more toward the tourist market.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wolfie_n
Also consider these accommodations in or near Niantic
Niantic Inn
Rodeway Inn Waterford
Rodeway Inn Waterford
#2 of 5 in Waterford
Days Inn Niantic Near Casinos

Been to Rocky Neck Inn? Share your experiences!