“3rd time is NO charm!”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Niantic
Arlington, Massachusetts
“3rd time is NO charm!”
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My husband & I stayed here previously- it was close by for our needs. However, THAT will not be our priority again. The halls are dark, the mattresses are easily 30 yrs old & it truly is just like lying on a board at practically floor level. My husband was in the bed and as I got up he said "wow, you look soo tall." The bed does sit almost on the floor. My back was aching from this last visit. Also, there is no second sheet to encase the yucky blue fuzzy blanket within...ewww! Each time we have been here the carpet is DAMP & dirty looking and now they are putting Renuzits air freshners in the rooms- sickening cover-up! This time the tub/shower smelled of dried urine. We get back into the room late in the evening & I always say "let's get to sleep & hurry and get outta here in the am." Yes, the tv is very old, but it works. The hotel needs a huge makeover & is not worth the $120 we paid this past Saturday night. We will drive a little further and see other options from now on. *At some point you have to put $$$ back into things that will attract customers & keep them coming back!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank newyork52

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Wappingers Falls, New York
Reviewed 22 May 2011

A girls overnight for a show at Mohegan was the reason for the trip. The cost of Hilltop Inn was a draw, plus it advertises to be 5 minutes from the casino, and provided a shuttle which was booked a week in advance. Upon arrival late afternoon, we noticed the parking lot had only 3 cars in it (on a Saturday). We checked in, inquired about the shuttle and when we'd be leaving and were told "there is no shuttle". The clerk told us he could see we had reserved it, however, his reply was that the shuttle driver was in New Hampshire for the weekend, and that the manager knew this. No one notified us, and he handed us a few phone numbers for local taxis which was useless at this point. We drove ourselves the 13 miles to the casino. They claim to be 5 minutes away. Upon entering our room the smell of dampness was strong. The refrigerator had been unplugged and the carpet was SOAKED. While checking under the mattress to make sure of no bedbugs, we found empty wine bottles. Yes, they were under the mattress! We changed, and drove ourselves to the casino. Upon returning at 2:00 am, there were still only 3 cars in the parking lot. Creepy! We were chilly so I went to the front desk to ask for extra blankets. The clerk left, then reappeared with 2 very old looking blue blankets. We threw them on our beds and when we awoke the next moring I flipped over my blanket only to find if covered with mouse droppings! I took pictures!! We went to the very tiny breakfast area and found coffee, a few bagels, old cereal in dispensers and pancakes in an chafing dish. We only took the coffee. We noticed that in the time we were there we NEVER saw another guest (that's because there were none), and we NEVER saw anyone from housekeeping. We complained to the front desk about the soaked carpet, no shuttle, not even an offer to pay for a cab, the mouse droppings on the blanket and the clerks response was "well at least you saw the show at the casino". Not exactly the answer we were looking for! My friend, who had booked the room in her name, called to speak to Naru, the manager. She had an excuse for everything, and felt there was no apology. A week later a credit appeared with a full refund of the price of the room. Take my advice! I have stayed in many hotels and am not demanding, and a simple room is fine for short stays. This was AWFUL! Don't waste your money!

Room Tip: You get what you pay for!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank NYJoviGirl1966

Travellers are raving about these Niantic hotels

New London, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 March 2011

Very friendly staff ...Good location ..near I-95 and fast food restaurants. I am pleased with the cordial attendant and the very clean rooms. It felt like home...a hidden gem

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Varon88
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I chose the Hilltop Inn because it was the most reasonably priced hotel near Mohegan Sun that had shuttle service. Their website quoted a price of $125 but also claimed to match or beat rates. I had a quote of $109 from Hotels.com so I called and they honored the lower price. Great!

I made the reservation and inquired about the shuttle service mentioned on the site. I assumed it was complimentary like most other hotels in the area but it was an extra charge of $10 per person and they highly recommended reserving a spot in advance. That would cancel out the good rate I had found but I had already made the reservation and I didn't care to go back to researching a new place, so I signed up.

The hotel itself was fine. Just fine. Average. Not great, not horrible. Your basic inexpensive motel. The front lobby was clean and well-kept. The hallways were a bit dark, but not scary. The room had a slight stale smell to it, and some of the towels had set-in stains, but there was a fridge (unplugged) and a microwave and complimentary breakfast in the morning so I was content.

Unfortunately, when it came time to take the $20 shuttle, we were told that the other people who had reserved spots had cancelled so it was just us. The shuttle driver wouldn't show up to drive only two people so we ended up getting driven to Mohegan by (who I believe to be) the manager, in her personal mini-van. It was obvious she didn't want to drive us but she also didn't want us unhappy. We offered to drive ourselves but she said she would drive us there for free if we got a cab back. We were already in the back seat, ready to go, so we agreed. It wasn't until we were on the highway that she mentioned a cab would cost around $40.

As I stated, the place was nice enough, but I wouldn't return. I appreciate the manager trying to do what she thought was right, but in the end I was left feeling dissatisfied and slightly ripped-off.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mavijac
Livingston, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed in a room with king-sized bed. Upon entering the building, the first thing I noticed was the hotel's a little old. The hotel's age reflects on their carpeting. It was old and a little dirty. We used the staircase going to our bedroom (I wasn't sure if they have elevator).

Next thing I noticed was our room's door. It was hard to open and the lock did not recognize the card key initially. Secondly, the carpet, again, looks a little worn. Their ceiling also reflects stains on some spots. And so I was a little afraid that there might be bed bugs. Luckily, there were none. Their bed and pillows are comfortable enough that made us sleep soundly the whole night.

The toilet bowl had rings and when you flush it, the water had some dirt particles. It even makes loud sound when you are flushing it, which sounded like it's clogged or something. When I took a shower, the water supply was weak. I had to stand as close to the head as possible to wash off the soap from my body.

It was a bit chilly the night during our one night stay and so we decided to turn the heater on. Voila! The heater started to smell like it's burning after 5mins of turning it on.

I recommend people to spend a few extra bucks to rent rooms in known chain hotels around the area than stay in this one. Keep out!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Closter, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 September 2010

I booked my vacation at the Hilltop Inn. I was pleased with every aspect of the accomodations I found the staff to be welcoming and hospitable, would return again
to this Inn.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank cortez450
Manchester, CT
Reviewed 31 August 2010

This hotel was fine - price was great, clean room, nice pool. The service was very good. I saw lots of negative reviews for this hotel - none of which I experienced.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kronka
Also consider these accommodations in or near Niantic
Sleep Inn & Suites
Red Roof Inn Mystic - New London
Days Inn - Mystic
Days Inn - Mystic
#11 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Days Inn Niantic Near Casinos? Share your experiences!