“Huge bugs all over the floors, no apology, rude”

Days Inn Niantic Near Casinos
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Niantic
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We got in late and went straight to sleep after 7 hours in the car. Woke up, and saw dead half-inch long bugs all over the bathroom floor. Grossed out, I looked around the rest of the hotel and by the time I spotted half a dozen 1/2-inch bugs on the carpet near the bed, I just stopped looking and called the front desk and packed up. The lady at the front desk didn't even apologize that the room was loaded with dead large bugs. When we googled bed bugs, they looked just like the ones on the ground, but the woman was adamant that "they look like bed bugs, but they're not bed bugs" (apparently an entymologist by trade? yeah right). She went to look at the room and made it a point to show me tiny crumbs on the floor for some reason, and explain that those are not bugs. No, really? It was very belittling. So I showed her the bugs and she became more and more stand-offish to me. An apology would have been nice, because it was really gross! We weren't even rude about this, we were very calm and quiet and polite, mostly because we were just shocked into silence. Not only did they not apologize for the room being literally covered in dead, huge bugs, they were rude about it too. I don't even want a refund, I just don't want to be insulted because I found dead bugs all over YOUR hotel. I see now I'm not the only one complaining of bugs here (I'm not even alleging what KIND of bugs, just that they were large, dead, nasty-looking insects). Wish I'd known. So, stay here at your own discretion.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank traveler04101

Reviewed 11 September 2011

Do not waste your time or money at this place! It is old and smelly and our blanket was clearly dirty with what appeared to be dried up bodily fluid. Slept with my hooded sweatshirt on and only a thin sheet. Breakfast is a joke. Bagels were so old and bread had fruit flies in it...which is funny since they had no fruit in there!!! I was disgusted the entire time and will NEVER stay here again!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank sherry h
Reviewed 8 August 2011

This was not the first visit but it is the last visit. The bed was delapidated. My wife had to sleep on a couch and I had to sleep on the side of the bed that she couldn't sleep on because my side was even worse. The toilet rocked and scared the @#!% out of you when you sat down. The toilet seat would all of a sudden slip and spook you more.

The sink would clog up and there were multiple black gouges/scrathes in the sink that made it look gross. The glasses and coffee cups had no sanitary wraps and made us wonder if they were actually washed after used by other guests. The room looked good when we entered it but soon found that it was less than clean. Our previous vist wasn't much better but we over looked some deficiencies.

The coffee at breakeast did not even change color when the powdered creamer was added to our coffee. Find another hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hospi409
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We went to the hotel as a last minute booking because all the hotels at Foxwoods/in the area were booked. I ended up getting a travel discount through my job, but even that price was not worth the stay. It was better than a motel, but the hotel itself was very outdated. The beds were not comfy and the shower did not stay hot. We had to call the front desk because the bathroom wasnt working. In the morning we wanted to save time and went to the continental breakfast which was not good at all. When we found out the rate of the hotel without the discount, it was what you would expect to pay for a 4 star in Boston. Overall not happy.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KeriS7
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My husband & I stayed here previously- it was close by for our needs. However, THAT will not be our priority again. The halls are dark, the mattresses are easily 30 yrs old & it truly is just like lying on a board at practically floor level. My husband was in the bed and as I got up he said "wow, you look soo tall." The bed does sit almost on the floor. My back was aching from this last visit. Also, there is no second sheet to encase the yucky blue fuzzy blanket within...ewww! Each time we have been here the carpet is DAMP & dirty looking and now they are putting Renuzits air freshners in the rooms- sickening cover-up! This time the tub/shower smelled of dried urine. We get back into the room late in the evening & I always say "let's get to sleep & hurry and get outta here in the am." Yes, the tv is very old, but it works. The hotel needs a huge makeover & is not worth the $120 we paid this past Saturday night. We will drive a little further and see other options from now on. *At some point you have to put $$$ back into things that will attract customers & keep them coming back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank newyork52
Reviewed 22 May 2011

A girls overnight for a show at Mohegan was the reason for the trip. The cost of Hilltop Inn was a draw, plus it advertises to be 5 minutes from the casino, and provided a shuttle which was booked a week in advance. Upon arrival late afternoon, we noticed the parking lot had only 3 cars in it (on a Saturday). We checked in, inquired about the shuttle and when we'd be leaving and were told "there is no shuttle". The clerk told us he could see we had reserved it, however, his reply was that the shuttle driver was in New Hampshire for the weekend, and that the manager knew this. No one notified us, and he handed us a few phone numbers for local taxis which was useless at this point. We drove ourselves the 13 miles to the casino. They claim to be 5 minutes away. Upon entering our room the smell of dampness was strong. The refrigerator had been unplugged and the carpet was SOAKED. While checking under the mattress to make sure of no bedbugs, we found empty wine bottles. Yes, they were under the mattress! We changed, and drove ourselves to the casino. Upon returning at 2:00 am, there were still only 3 cars in the parking lot. Creepy! We were chilly so I went to the front desk to ask for extra blankets. The clerk left, then reappeared with 2 very old looking blue blankets. We threw them on our beds and when we awoke the next moring I flipped over my blanket only to find if covered with mouse droppings! I took pictures!! We went to the very tiny breakfast area and found coffee, a few bagels, old cereal in dispensers and pancakes in an chafing dish. We only took the coffee. We noticed that in the time we were there we NEVER saw another guest (that's because there were none), and we NEVER saw anyone from housekeeping. We complained to the front desk about the soaked carpet, no shuttle, not even an offer to pay for a cab, the mouse droppings on the blanket and the clerks response was "well at least you saw the show at the casino". Not exactly the answer we were looking for! My friend, who had booked the room in her name, called to speak to Naru, the manager. She had an excuse for everything, and felt there was no apology. A week later a credit appeared with a full refund of the price of the room. Take my advice! I have stayed in many hotels and am not demanding, and a simple room is fine for short stays. This was AWFUL! Don't waste your money!

Room Tip: You get what you pay for!