“Peaceful getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mountain View Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Norfolk
Mountain View Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Norfolk B&B and Inns
North Carolina
“Peaceful getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

We absolutely loved our stay at this B & B. The comfortable rooms, delightful front porch complete with swing, and friendly hosts made this a great place to stay. We stayed in several B and Bs throughout our week in Connecticut and this was our favorite.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Argyle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2010

The gourmet breakfast had me wishing for their luncheons and dinners. The food was not only well prepared, it was attractive. I enjoyed hearing the history of the house and the region. All-in-all, it was a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Pleasant Valley, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2010

My wife and I had the opportunity to stay at the Mountain View Inn to celebrate her birthday. Her favourite teen band, The Bay City Rollers was playing at The Infinity Hall that night, so we decided to make a getaway of it, even though we only 90 minutes away, In New York.

We usually stay in hotels when we are travelling so this was a welcome change, to say the least. We had actually read about the MVI on Tripadvisor and booked our room online. We arrived around 4.30pm and were met by one of the hosts, Dean. We were warmly welcomed and offered a light refreshment before we got settled. Our room was cute, very comfortable, 4 poster canopied bed and had an adjoining porch. We had told Dean that we were going to the Infinity Hall for a show and he suggested reserving a table at The Bistro there, which he kindly did for us. He also invited us for a Sherry before we left for the show, which we were not expecting but took up on his offer. We met his wife Jean Marie before we left and were again warmly welcomed.

After the show, we walked back to the MVI( a very comfortable walking distance) where Dean had left out a decanter of port for an after dinner drink. It was obviously on the honour system, so we each had a port and sat out on the veranda and enjoyed a relaxing end to our evening.

Breakfast was served at 8.30am. I had indicated when I reserved online that due to Crohn's disease, I was restricted in my diet, and Dean obliged by making sure that what I was served was okay for me. We shared breakfast with 4 others and the chat was great. Dean joined us for breakfast and we all enjoyed his company at the table.

The Mountain View Inn was the best bed and breakfast we have stayed in. It was like a home away from home. The Infinity Hall offers some great shows. It has been beautifully renovated and the food was great. It has a very intimate atmosphere. If you are planning to go, you should stay at the Mountain View. You will love it!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2010

My manfriend (he's a little old to be called a boyfriend these days!) and I have stayed at the MV Inn twice, and I can honestly say this is the perfect weekend getaway to just...breathe.

First, the surroundings - Norfolk, CT is such a beautiful and quiet place. If you're looking a ton of nightlife, strip of bars, etc, this is not the town for you (forgive me if you are laughing at me at this point, but I generally run with a 30-something NYC crowd that takes full advantage of NY's 4am bar close time). However, if you want to enjoy some peace/nature/local points of interest, you should definitely come visit. Infinity Hall and Bistro serves some wonderful food (locally grown/raised whenever possible) and has some pretty good music shows come through. There are also some lovely "small town" things to visit in the area (local history museum, farmer's market, etc) while taking an after-breakfast morning walk (not to mention the Yale fellows summer music program - we stopped in for the 10:30am student show and heard some beautiful performances). I've heard that there are some great hikes in the area, which we will probably cover on our next trip up.

Then let's discuss the B&B itself. The house is amazing - like you are stepping back in time, but not in the "charming" way (such as the way a realtor may describe an old apartment in dire need of updating), but in a beautiful, tastefully restored, attention to detail way. Check out the wallpaper in the second floor sitting area, that is my absolute favorite. The grounds themselves are beautiful (I think I'm a sucker for covered patios and expansive green lawns), and we had no problem finding a chairs to sink into to enjoy a bottle of wine and the beautiful weather.

Now the rooms - while I do enjoy taking a peek into the other rooms when they are open, both times we have stayed in room 5. We like it best because it has a pretty view of the patio/backyard and a very comfortable king sized bed. However, all the rooms appear to be very clean and well maintained, with enough decor to make it feel cozy and from another era, but without being chintzy. There are some faux flower bouquets, which I noticed were dust free - given how difficult these can be to clean, I found this pretty indicative of the level of detail that goes into maintaining the place.

The innkeepers - Dean and Jean Marie are wonderful - I think we are a bit younger than the normal B&B crowd, but Dean and Jean Marie always make us feel at home. Actually the morning we left we didn't set an alarm and we ended up sleeping through breakfast (blaming it on the bed). They saved us breakfast and settings at the table, which was very much appreciated. The breakfast is tasty and well presented - always on beautiful china and crystal goblets (the stuff my family didn't take out unless we had "company," which usually meant someone more important than the in-laws) which makes it feel a little more special. Innkeeper #3, Miss Noelle the mini poodle, is just adorable and a guest favorite. I would like to take her home with me.

Another bonus is the vintage clothing shop that is adjacent to the living room area. Jean Marie has some very fun and interesting things in her collection, and it is certainly a highlight of my trip to peruse the shop. If you're into vintage clothing, or just beautiful things, it's definitely worth stopping in.

My apologies if you were looking for some sort of constructive criticism while reading this review, but I just can't offer any. I love coming to stay here and very much look forward to our next visit (as there will certainly be one).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

We came across the Mountain View Inn by chance when we stopped in Norfolk, CT. It turned out to be one of the nicest places we have ever stayed and we will certainly make a point of returning.
The innkeepers, Dean and Jean Marie, clearly love what they do. They have restored their large Victorian home immaculately. Each room is furnished with an eclectic mix of Victoriana and it takes you some time to appreciate how much thought has gone into every detail, fixture and fitting. Whether or not Victorian is your preferred style, you can’t fail to appreciate this artistic home as an homage to the era.
We stayed in Felix’s Room, which was large, lavishly furnished and blissfully quiet. It was spotlessly clean and the four-poster bed was very comfortable.
The breakfasts, cooked and served by Dean himself, were delicious. Dean took time to give us maps of running trails in Norfolk as well as historical information on the house and locality. Above all, what marked Dean and Jean Marie out as innkeepers was their genuine warmth. They seemed to really enjoy being hosts and made you feel incredibly welcome.
Norfolk itself is a pretty little town, famous for the Infinity Ballroom, Connecticut’s oldest music hall. It is also surprisingly close to The Berkshires, and makes a good base for exploring that region. We enjoyed a day trip to Lee, Stockbridge and Great Barrington.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2010

We stayed in many beautiful bed and breakfasts and met many kind and gracious inkeepers on our summer roadtrip of New England, but none compared to Dean and Jean-Marie and there lovely home at Norfolk, CT. Mountain View and Norfolk was the only stop we couldn't drag ourself away from after just one day. Dean and Jean-Marie went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and welcome, and to provide the best of everything. Our time there was made even more memorable with our visit to Infinity Bistro and Concert Hall. We were pleasantly surprised to find such a chic establishment with excellent food and well known musicians in this small and charming town. During the day, we hiked Haystack Mountain and visited the local library and Tobey Pond. The library and pond are one of a kind and make you feel as if you have been set in the pages of a story book.

Do yourself a favor, and make your way to Mountain View Inn and Norfolk CT. Be sure to pack an extra set of clothes, You may end up staying longer than you planned.

Debra Wanless
Sacramento, CA

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank debwanless
Hampton Bays, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2010

The owners and 'stewards' of this victorian inn are serious about keeping this victorian true to herself! Every eye for detail, the cleanliness, friendliness and a beautiful and delicious breakfast all lead to an atmosphere of ease and relaxed enjoyment.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norfolk
White Hart Inn
#1 of 1 in Lakeville
The Cornwall Inn
The Cornwall Inn
#1 of 1 in Cornwall

Been to Mountain View Inn? Share your experiences!