“Beautiful Country Inn”

Ranked #2 of 4 Norfolk B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful Country Inn”
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely country inn in the beautiful Connecticut Berkshires. We have stayed at several over the years when visiting family and have found this one to be among the most charming and well maintained. The rooms in the main house are well appointed and clean. Our room had a charming claw-foot tub/shower which might, however, be a challenge for the unsure of foot. Breakfasts are generous and the dining room is lovely. Prices are quite reasonable compared with some of the tonier places in the area.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We spent two nights at the Inn on a recent road trip to New England and enjoyed our stay very much. Our King suite, room #2, was very large and quite clean. We heard no noise from other guests, but the Inn is close to the highway and passing cars were quite audible. Breakfasts were excellent. The room was a bit chilly, which didn't bother us but might have been troublesome for others. We didn't mention this to the staff, but I daresay they would have dealt with the issue had we done so.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vaoenophile
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We stayed there over the Columbus Day weekend and I am exhausted from not having slept all night. We had originally booked a room in their "Carriage House" because our experiences in B&B's is that in the main house it can be noisy. When we arrived they told us they had upgraded us into the Main House and showed us to our room. The room was lovely; working fireplace in the room, antiques, large bathroom and very clean. We put our luggage in the room and went out to explore the area. We returned around 11pm that evening and turned on the tv. The television was not working. After several visits from various staff members who could not fix the television, I opted for a magazine. About an hour later, I turned off the light and tried to fall asleep but could not because the people in the next room were talking quietly and I could hear everything they were saying. I could hear when they rolled over, when they flushed the toilet when they sneezed. When I finally did doze off I was woken up by the man in the next room vomiting in his bathroom and it was as if he was in the room with us because the walls and insulation between the rooms was so thin. I got about 3 hours sleep. I'm exhausted while I write this, but wanted to make sure I left a review that was accurate. While sitting at breakfast the next morning, we overheard a woman next to us telling the innkeeper about how sick her husband had been the night before. Later, when the woman had left the breakfast area, we told the innkeeper about what a terrible night's sleep I had and why. Her comment was, "oh, we just got a bunch of ear plugs...". I was stunned. I do not want to take a mini vacation, pay top dollar and have to wear earplugs to bed. The breakfast was okay. My teapot had a yellow jacket sitting in the spout so when I went to pour my tea, out climbed a bee. I'm allergic to bee's so I wasn't thrilled about that. Also, the food was marginal. The omelette was dry, the toast and pancakes cold and the tea waster was not hot. The staff and the ambiance were the best thing about the place, but I had the feeling that the people working there were "winging" it and really don't know how to run an inn.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 4 or 5. The walls are paper thin and you can hear when the person in the next r...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank nbens
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Being European, my wife and I were very glad to finally find a hotel that has a bit of history - especially the main building with its bright breakfast room looks more like an English manor than like your average motel. I don't know how old the house actually is, but I'd imagine that it would be the perfect starting point for your antiques shopping trip into the Berkshires.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Klaus R
New Rochelle, New York
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My husband and I just returned home from a lovely weekend where we stayed at the blackberry river inn. We arrived very late Friday night and were greeted by two very friendly women. We were hungry having missed dinner. There were no restaurants open, so they offered to give us dinner at no charge. The cook was still there and made us delicious pasta,broccoli and very nice tallapia. I've never had that experience before! Rooms were charming, clean and a huge bathroom.
Breakfast was served by a young girl from Austria who was delightful! The breakfast was made to order and the breakfast room was beautiful. All in all, I would definitely stay there again. The parlors were very warm and inviting as well. My husband and I travel frequently in the united states and abroad...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Julie R
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2012

good place for the family, the owners are very nice. we came late and they brew tea and gave us fresh cookies. breakfast was good as well. the rooms and the bathroom are clean. they als have wifi free internet in all the rooms

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Evgeniy_Kharam
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We had needs for a group stay in north western CT and have used the Blackberry River Inn two years running. We rented their entire 'Carriage House', which worked out very well. We needed to be up and out early, so they made special arraignments for early buffet breakfast, which everyone in the group enjoyed. We intend to stay there again next year if we are back in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank jermasterinco
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norfolk
White Hart Inn
#1 of 1 in Cornwall
Inn at Iron Masters
Inn at Iron Masters
#2 of 4 in Lakeville

Been to Blackberry River Inn? Share your experiences!