“Mixed Feelings About This B & B”

Blackberry River Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Norfolk B&B and Inns
Rotterdam, New York
“Mixed Feelings About This B & B”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My husband and I met up with our friends at this B & B recently. On the positive side, the main house was large and beautiful. There was a large pool area and lawn where we were able to just sit and talk. The person who checked us in was very pleasant and friendly and they were in no hurry for us to check out the next morning. Breakfast was also quite nice. Now, the negative side, there was a little bit of a bait and switch situation going on. We booked our specific rooms online a few months out to be sure that we got the ones we really wanted. What is not on the website is that if you want to guarantee the rooms you want, you have to book a two-night minimum stay which was not an option for us. When we arrived, neither of us were in the rooms that we had reserved. After some discussion, my husband and I were able to get the room we had booked, but our friends were not. Our room was very nice and had a private bathroom, but our friends' room was very small with a shared bathroom. I think the website needs to reflect a 2 night stay in order to book a specific room. Also, I think with a little TLC, this Inn could become a 10. It is a little run down, and the outside buildings and pool area both need some paint. Some of the couches need to be replaced or steam cleaned also.

Room Tip: Make sure if you want to pick a specific room that you book at least a 2-night stay.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lesa O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Brockton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Two women, fabulous and mature, stayed one Saturday night. Booked the twin-bedded room in the Carriage House. Although the room was a little small, we enjoyed the parlor right outside of our door - kicked off our shoes, had a nice cold beverage, and caught up. My bed was comfy, the noise was nonexistent to me. The water pressure in the shower was terrific -- hot, strong, invigorating. Breakfast was a delight - veggie frittata or fresh blueberry pancakes, fresh fruit, hot and cold beverages. We attended a fabulous concert at Music Mountain, visited the Beckley Furnace and Land of Nod winery, and then the next day headed to Goshen for an old fashioned 4H Country Fair and then to summer theater - "Fiorello" in Bethlehem. Great inn - charming setting, tasteful decor, attentive staff.

Room Tip: Our room in the carriage house was on the ground level; additional rooms on second floor via stairs...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Albany, New York
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This Inn was a pleasant surprise! The room was small but comfortable, the bathroom was large. Everything was clean and the "concierge" was so friendly! I noticed that some reviewers mentioned noise an issue but we did not encounter this. Breakfast was a delight: a beautiful light-filled room, an incredibly efficient and friendly server, and a nice selection of pancakes, eggs, etc available to order. If I have occasion to be in the area again, I certainly will try to stay at the Blackberry River Inn!

Room Tip: We liked Room 5 in the carriage house--first floor, corner room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely country inn in the beautiful Connecticut Berkshires. We have stayed at several over the years when visiting family and have found this one to be among the most charming and well maintained. The rooms in the main house are well appointed and clean. Our room had a charming claw-foot tub/shower which might, however, be a challenge for the unsure of foot. Breakfasts are generous and the dining room is lovely. Prices are quite reasonable compared with some of the tonier places in the area.

• Stayed July 2013
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We spent two nights at the Inn on a recent road trip to New England and enjoyed our stay very much. Our King suite, room #2, was very large and quite clean. We heard no noise from other guests, but the Inn is close to the highway and passing cars were quite audible. Breakfasts were excellent. The room was a bit chilly, which didn't bother us but might have been troublesome for others. We didn't mention this to the staff, but I daresay they would have dealt with the issue had we done so.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vaoenophile
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We stayed there over the Columbus Day weekend and I am exhausted from not having slept all night. We had originally booked a room in their "Carriage House" because our experiences in B&B's is that in the main house it can be noisy. When we arrived they told us they had upgraded us into the Main House and showed us to our room. The room was lovely; working fireplace in the room, antiques, large bathroom and very clean. We put our luggage in the room and went out to explore the area. We returned around 11pm that evening and turned on the tv. The television was not working. After several visits from various staff members who could not fix the television, I opted for a magazine. About an hour later, I turned off the light and tried to fall asleep but could not because the people in the next room were talking quietly and I could hear everything they were saying. I could hear when they rolled over, when they flushed the toilet when they sneezed. When I finally did doze off I was woken up by the man in the next room vomiting in his bathroom and it was as if he was in the room with us because the walls and insulation between the rooms was so thin. I got about 3 hours sleep. I'm exhausted while I write this, but wanted to make sure I left a review that was accurate. While sitting at breakfast the next morning, we overheard a woman next to us telling the innkeeper about how sick her husband had been the night before. Later, when the woman had left the breakfast area, we told the innkeeper about what a terrible night's sleep I had and why. Her comment was, "oh, we just got a bunch of ear plugs...". I was stunned. I do not want to take a mini vacation, pay top dollar and have to wear earplugs to bed. The breakfast was okay. My teapot had a yellow jacket sitting in the spout so when I went to pour my tea, out climbed a bee. I'm allergic to bee's so I wasn't thrilled about that. Also, the food was marginal. The omelette was dry, the toast and pancakes cold and the tea waster was not hot. The staff and the ambiance were the best thing about the place, but I had the feeling that the people working there were "winging" it and really don't know how to run an inn.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 4 or 5. The walls are paper thin and you can hear when the person in the next r...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank nbens
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Being European, my wife and I were very glad to finally find a hotel that has a bit of history - especially the main building with its bright breakfast room looks more like an English manor than like your average motel. I don't know how old the house actually is, but I'd imagine that it would be the perfect starting point for your antiques shopping trip into the Berkshires.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Klaus R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norfolk
White Hart Inn
The Cornwall Inn
The Cornwall Inn
#1 of 1 in Cornwall
Locust Tree Bed and Breakfast

Been to Blackberry River Inn? Share your experiences!