“Bed and Breakfast Heaven”
Review of Manor House Inn

Manor House Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Norfolk B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Bed and Breakfast Heaven”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Visited Norfolk for 6 nights for the annual Yale music festival. We stayed in the lovely and spacious Victorian Room at the Manor House. This wonderful old property is such a nice place in which to relax including reading in the library or conservatory, with a glass of wine to hand. Holly, the innkeeper, was a wonderful, attentive hostess as well as preparing a delicious breakfast each morning. During the day, we walked miles along local hiking trails and swam in Tobey Pond. An enchanting, relaxing place to stay in a very pretty Hamlet surrounded by hills and woods.

Room Tip: Look at the pics online to help choose a room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Simon N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed here for one night when I attended a wedding in Southfield MA. I was very surprised upon arrival as the B&B was not what I was expecting. I was greeted by the hostess and she provided a tour of the house along with the amenities (coffee, wine and snacks). The rooms were very inviting and each one unique. I had a very comfortable stay which reminded me of staying at a friends or relatives home. I especially enjoyed the barefoot tub and old charm of the room. I am not sure when I will go back to that area in CT, however, if you’re looking for a romantic getaway or someplace unique, I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Parrothead1975
Guilford, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed at this beautiful bed and breakfast on our recent visit to a concert at Infinity Hall.
What a treat, the home is lovely and all the rooms are well appointed and decorated beautifully.
Holly, the innkeeper, was a treat and very friendly. She gave us some history of the home and told us it was originally a summer home for the wealthy owners back in the late 1800's The Tiffany glass windows throughout the home are fascinating. It is a very inviting Inn and the breakfast was just wonderful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank margiegirl
Glastonbury, CT
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

20 minute walk to Infinity, use shortcut thru town garage parking lot. We were on 3rd floor that had a bathtub the size of a pool. They serve a full hot breakfast made to order. There are some very nice reading areas inside; we did not explore the grounds because it was cold. We preferred this inn over the other one nearby; closer, more charm, more gracious host, better breakfast.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BillL64
Litchfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 March 2014

For history and architecture buffs, the Manor House is a dream . . . an EK Rossiter designed Victorian Tudor that is quite unique, and spellbinding as a B&B. Victorian flourishes can be seen in the many beautiful stained glass windows and the lovely porcelain tile fireplace in the breakfast dining nook. The cozy village of Norfolk also boasts one of the most beautiful libraries in New England and a fabulous music hall, both within a short walking distance.

My husband and I had stayed in the Spofford Room (named after the original owner of the Manor House) 15 years ago for a birthday celebration, and wanted to relive that wonderful memory. The Spofford Room was as we remembered it: a romantic four-poster bed so fluffy and high it required a stepstool, a working fire place at the opposite end of the spacious room, with very comfortable leather chairs and footstools. The trip here was a weekend getaway and this room and this place certainly takes you back in time. We were so at peace sitting in the leather chairs, reading and just talking to each other.

Michael Sinclair, our host, was welcoming and knowledgeable about the area, having lived in Norfolk from age 4. Since we're early birds, we had the dining nook to ourselves the next morning while Michael served us a sumptuous breakfast. My husband declared the banana pancakes the best he'd ever had and my broccoli omelet was fresh and delicious.

Although it was still winter (March) during our stay, the morning was gloriously warm and we walked around the nearby green with more impressive, historic buildings. We discovered a "secret" passageway from behind the library back to our inn. I know many folks come here to see a show at Infinity Hall and dinner at the Wood Creek Pub, but we decided to have a drink at the pub, then took a pizza from Mizza's Pizza back to our room for our own quiet respite . . . dreaming of a slower pace, and togetherness, surrounded by beauty.

Room Tip: The Spofford Room was a showpiece, but all the other rooms we peeked into were lovely as well, impec...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jo J
Dracut, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The Manor House is the place to stay! A beautiful well-kept inn wonderfully maintained with antiques everywheres. A visual feast for the eyes! Michael and Holly do a superb job as cordial innkeepers - so friendly and helpful! Their breakfast is just wonderful - the smell of bacon awoke us! I can't wait to see another show at Infinity Hall to stay there again to try another great room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This has to be, hands up, my favorite B&B! My husband and I stayed in the Victorian Room while we were going to a concert at Infinity Hall. We absolutely loved it. Michael and Holly went out of their way to make sure our stay was comfortable. They were so friendly and welcoming, I felt like we knew them for years! The room was awesome, very spacious and we loved having a whirlpool tub and fireplace in our room. The bed was so comfortable I slept the whole night and woke up well rested.
There were snacks, coffee and tea available whenever we wanted it and delicious homemade cookies left out for us too. We checked in around 3:00pm and had time to spare before dinner so we sat in one of the common areas with a huge gorgeous fireplace. Holly lit a fire for us and we enjoyed sitting by it while having a glass (or 2) of wine. There were a couple of different sitting areas so we didn't feel like we were imposing on anyone and there was plenty of room. The woodwork throughout the house was beautiful but the highlight to me were the Tiffany stained glass windows, just exquisite! Breakfast was delicious, starting with a yogurt, fresh fruit and granola parfait and then the choices were thick orange zested french toast or a speciality omelet stuffed with vegetables. On the side we had local made breakfast sausages that were delicious. I can't say enough about this B&B. We will definitely be going back and even though it was a little pricey we felt it was worth every cent.

Room Tip: They all looked very nice, I'd be happy in any of them. There is a very small room on the third...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OlympicBound
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norfolk
White Hart Inn
#2 of 4 in Lakeville
The Amselhaus
The Amselhaus
#1 of 1 in Cornwall Bridge

Been to Manor House Inn? Share your experiences!