“Good choice in Summerstrand”
Review of De Kelder

De Kelder
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Summerstrand
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: De Kelder Restaurant specialises in Seafood, Steaks and local Venison.open Monday to Friday 12.00 to 2.00 and 6.00pm to 10.00 pm Monday to Saturday.
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The food and wine we chose from the extensive menu were delicious. Having spent a couple of weeks in South Africa enjoying the great steak and game on offer, it was good to be able to opt for fish. Both the kingklip and the fish of the day were very good. Wine was pricier than anywhere else we had eaten, but it was also good. The service was excellent: friendly and pleasant but also very efficient and professional. The room and décor were not to my taste - it felt a bit tired, dark and outdated - but that did not detract from our dining experience. The restaurant is clearly popular; we visited on a very windy, cool Monday evening and it was very busy. We didn't book beforehand but I think it is probably advisable.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Surprisingly the De Kelder restaurant is one of the only places to serve local wild game in the area. I asked many locals and even the hotel consierge did not know they served game. The appetizer of raw crocodile, springbok, and wild boar was awesome!! The flavors burst into your mouth and I closed my eyes to chew to experience the flavors better. Where else can you get something like this? I followed it up with the triple entree of Kudu, springbok, and crocodile steaks. Crocodile is my new favorite exotic flavored food. The texture and flavor are truly unique. Other locals were amazed you could get that type of food here. The restaurant is cozy (which means could use a deep cleaning and some redecorating), but the food is excellent. Service was very friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

The ambience, the food, the people, all make this restaurant a truly valuable find in Port Elizabeth. You have to try the crepe suzettes!!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Good food , well prepared and tasty. Flied meat was well done and it went well with potato chips. These were really nicely prepared and comparable to my favorite home dish. It was no surprise that my plate was well cleaned by the end of the meal. Service was good and it was no big deal to go back for a second dinner.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Good food and excellent friendly service. The decor is a bit dated but the food delicious and plentiful. We had calamari, fillet and a shared dessert with a nice bottle of pinotage for circa £32. Lovely homemade bread and extensive menu. For us the was very convenient and a good venue for our last meal in SA.