“Radisson Blu, Port Elizabeth, South Africa” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth

Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Summerstrand
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Radisson Blu, Port Elizabeth, South Africa”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Although I was not terribly happy with my room, I did get glimpses of other rooms which looked very luxurious. I was surprised to find only a small selection of TV channels available -- and an empty minibar! My room also had an "open plan" bathroom, which could be awkward for 2 people sharing who might not even be in a relationship. The glass dividers in the bathroom had lots of streaks on them which gave the impression the bathroom was not cleaned well enough. The views from the windows over the sea and beach are great. I had room service for dinner (being on my own) and found the service very good but the food wasn't great. The bed was extremely comfortable and the lighting in the bedroom was excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

DesmondOC, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Zuretha R,

Thank you for the review as posted here on TripAdvisor. We value you feedback as it assists us in addressing those areas in our Hotel that need some fixing.

That said, I am still delighted that you enjoyed most of yoru stay here.

We look forward to your next visit.

Desmond

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Indonesian first
Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We arrived at the hotel early afternoon I parked the car outside the entrance and I then went in to check in. Firstly I was left standing by check-in for a number of minutes with check in staff looking at me. Then a female member of staff who had seen me standing there for a number of minutes asked was I ok, I informed her I wished to check in and then she began the process. I should say there was no one else being checked in at this time.

I was then handed the key without being told what room number I was in. I then had to ask this female where I should park the car, her answer to this was in the car park she never told me where the car park was. Then I asked her if there was a lift by the car park so I could bring my bags up to my room and she just smiled.
After I went out and moved the car to the car park and took our suit cases out and we both wheeled them into the lobby, passed about 4 members of staff and again no one asked us if we needed help with our bags. I just found the service at lobby/ reception area very poor. We stayed in the Radisson blu in Cape Town the week before and our experience here was totally different to the Radisson blu in Port Elizabeth.

Yes the view from our room was very good but like a previous viewer our shower leaked out onto the floor which in turn made the bathroom area very slippery.

I will say the rest of the staff were excellent but this hotel was left down by the reception staff.

My only other complaint is the menu for dinner in the restaurant did not have a great selection but the food we did get was very good.

The choice for breakfast was good and wide ranging.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mark C
DesmondOC, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Mark C,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu, Port Elizabeth as your residence whilst visiting our beautiful city.

I have noted your challenges and will ensure I address these with my team. This in turn will assist us in improving the areas where it is lacking.

That said, it was also nice to note that in general you had a good stay.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights (we were in PE for a friends wedding). Firstly we got a very good price on the Radisson Blu website (special offer), so we felt we got value for money. Secondly, we would like to compliment the staff on their friendly attitude and service. Especially the ladies that cleaned our room and the waitresses and chefs at breakfast in the morning.

We stayed in a room on the 17th floor (1701) which has a beautiful view of the bay and we saw a huge pod of dolphins. Our room was large with a lounge and lovely big bathroom (bath & shower) Wonderful comfortable bed.The layout of the room was well thought out (although VERY modern, and the soft furnishings are now in need of a refurbish.) One problem was the shower leaked (which seems to be a common problem judging by the reviews) which is probably a design flaw, not a maintenance issue. Also our taps were connected the wrong way around, but forgivable. Perhaps some maintenance in the rooms is needed as a general recommendation.

Breakfast was delicious each morning and had a good selection to choose from. As mentioned the staff were friendly and helpful. Only comment would be the coffee cappuccino - It was not good at all and needs to be improved.

Finally, room service. We ordered x 2 cocktails which still hadn't arrived after an hour and so we had to cancel them. However we were not charged for them, and the lady at the front desk dealt with it well.

We would definitely stay again, and again want to compliment the staff on being so courteous and friendly. I am sure some of the negative points can be attended to by management.

1 Thank sam_treat
Dear Sam_treat,

Thanks you for choosing to stay at the Radisson Blu, Port Elizabeth recently. I was delighted to have read that you had such a great stay and also noted your recommendations on areas where we can improve.

That said, come visit us soon again.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Beautiful views, stunning location, staff friendly, bad food in restaurant room service useless. Room not ready on arrival, card did not work, waited a while for key to be sorted. Restaurant food was not up to standard not the usual South African quality and very expensive. Room Service was terrible, waited 1.5 hours for a Tuna Salad ( Salad Nicoise) and then the tuna was nice but accomplishments were weird!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

DesmondOC, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear 939sandy234,

Many thanks for your review. I shall review your comments and discuss with my team and address your areas of concern.

All and all I am delighted to see that you enjoyed most of your stay.

Regards

Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Room is really nice and clean.
We ordered in-room dinner, it was served fast, it was good, but not super special. Breakfast however was really huge and really delicious!
Parking in the garage for free!

Room Tip: High floor and ocean view!
Dear Chasi,

Many thanks for your short but well written and excellent review. It is always a delight for my team and I to know that we have made yet another guest visiting our country on holiday have a great time here.

We look forward to your return.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I wish I had read some of the reviews before my wife booked the Radison Blu. Firstly I would have wondered if "Idah M" and other approving 'guests' were actually wearing sock puppets as they wrote their approval of this place.

We stayed at the Radison not on one occasion but two this April. This was due to having pre-booked and not due to any approval.

On the first visit we stayed for one night in room 1516, which had a great view over the beach and ocean. However, there were a number of issues with the room, the proximity of the toilet to the living area, the shower leaking into the bathroom and the floor was then always wet, the mirror seemingly purchased second hand from a freak show; distorting the image to bloated size (honest, not really me!), and the bathroom taps that were on back to front.

The worse ordeal though was for our daughter who had the most excruciating night on the supposed 'spare bed', a sofa bed that was perhaps passed its use by date. In another room the same problem. (She ended up sleeping with us.)

My issue was with the restaurant. The waitress, quite a surly person, initially, asked me what I thought of the food. Since my plate and my daughter's had not been finished I thought it was kind of obvious. I told her that I did not like processed chicken, and that the food was not very imaginative, the worst I had had in fact since landing in South Africa. She said I must have enjoyed my starter as I had eaten it. I told her No. I was hungry and had shared it. I felt the squid was from a store, in a packet, frozen, and also processed. This she denied. She thanked me for the feedback which she said (unconvincingly) that she was pass on to the manager, would I like a free dessert? 'Don't bother,' I said.' I won't be eating here again.' She was bemused. She said that she hoped I would. I said I wouldn't. And on and on this went in quite a farcical manner.

In fact it was only when I said that I would later be writing on the stay to the owners, and writing on my own blog, that she then offered to take the chicken off the bill. Though even this was later queried by the front of house staff who asked why it had been crossed off the bill! Obviously the complaint had not been passed on.

It was not the only problem with the restaurant. The woman on duty in the morning who welcomed US was really charming. Unfortunately, a different waitress this time also not up to scratch. The English breakfast was cold on the two times we tried it. On the second stay the waitress came to the table saying: pass me your plate. In the end we didn't bother complaining, but a little bit of training can go a long way in the star rating of a hotel.

Plus points? The first night front of house staff were very warm and welcoming, the views hugely impressive, and the shuttle bus to take us to another restaurant was very competitive with local taxi prices and more reliable and comfortable. (Though the driver did have the tell-tale smell of alcohol on his breath. Not saying he was over the limit, but...?) The rooms were clean and the main bed very comfortable.

My main question is, however: if you know your showers are leaking and mirrors are dodgy why let the rooms in the first place? On our second stay we were given room 1216, which had the exact same problem.

In short. The Rad Blu is to my mind a business hotel currently punching above its weight due to some of the above issues which are not insurmountable but in need of some oversight.( A new chef may not go amiss. If your squid and chicken tastes like processed food and you maintain it isn't then you clearly have a problem.)

To be fair. Perhaps Radison Blu is best suited to one-night business people rather than families which have more demands. Though why even they should accept the current star rating of the hotel is questionable.

Room Tip: Wait until Desmond puts all of the above right before booking. Beware the sock puppets.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear "The Big Retort"

Thank you for the very fine forensic review as posted here on TripAdvisor. I shall most definitely take all your comments under consideration and ensure that we address these.

In terms of your comment thought about "sock puppets" I find it rather disturbing that you discredit other reviewers here. Neither my team or I have no influence over these reviews and assure you that contrary to what you may believe, we actually do have guests that stay here and have a good time. Sadly so as is the case in all industries form time to time we err, as was most likely the situation here.

That said, we are always striving to improve where required and thank you again for your very comprehensive feedback.

Regards

Stuttgart, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We arrived with car - it took ages to collect our luggage. We asked for a hotel diner table and the receptionist explained it is not needed. After arriving one hour later in the hotel restaurant, tables were fully booked but only a few occupied. We were placed at a bar table which was dirty. The shower door couldn't be closed properly and caused a middlesized flood. Hot water for tea was cold. Summary: a very basic and functional, overpriced overnight stay with poor service.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank patricker
DesmondOC, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Patriker,

Thank you for visiting the Radisson Blu Port Elizabeth recently. I have read you recnt review with sadness and dismay Please be assured that it is not the standard in which we pride ourselves, and I am sure what you have been accustomed to during your travels. Your comments have therefore been distributed to the entire team here and will be addressed accordingly and measures are being put into place to ensure that we lift the bar once more.

We are constantly aiming to ensure that our guests experience the very finest service and standards at Radisson Blu Port Elizabeth and with this in mind please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of my team and I.

Desmond O’Connor