City Lodge Hotel Port Elizabeth
Priceline
US$163
Blue Bay BnB(Summerstrand)
TripAdvisor
All reviewslively barearly morning and eveningbutcher blockcloset and storage spacesize deskterrific selectionamerican style breakfastlive comedyrooms have ocean viewsinteresting crittersking bed was very comfortableamazing menuduring daylight hoursminute walk from the hotelcorporate rateefficient hotelselection of tv channels
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed at the City Lodge for one night. It is a good business hotel with friendly staff and decent rooms. The front rooms offer a beautiful view of the ocean. Conveniently close to the boardwalk and the casino.

The check in staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Port Elizabeth, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

We're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

I have frequented City and Town Lodges for many years and have never been disappointed. This hotel is fine - although I did probably get one of the less desirable rooms on the ground floor with no sea view. (I had also booked a room with a shutter between the room and bathroom but did not get it when I checked in). I wonder if the extra few hundred rand to stay in this hotel rather than the Town Lodge next door is really worth it, unless you get a good room. Breakfasts are great, if a bit pricey.

Room Tip: Get a sea view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Port Elizabeth, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Thank you for your kind comments - we're glad you had a good time in PE.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

Lovely place, decent value for money and generally has most of the amenities that you need.

BEWARE:

Room service: the room service from the hotel is NOT room service as normal hotels define. Although it is not indicated in the room booklet you will have to go downstairs to look at a menu and order. Then they will forget to inform you that they DON'T bring it to your room when its ready unless you somehow thought to ask. I had to get out of my bath to to walk downstairs (after a long day of Ironman) and had to carry these massively heavy plates across the hotel. After nearly collapsing on the stairs and down the passage I was NOT amused.

I don't see why they couldn't bring it to your room, I'd even pay an additional charge for it but don't label something "room service" if in actual fact you mean "a takeaway". Even when enquiring from the front desk she said that I need to order down stairs but never said a word about having to collect it afterwards and neither did the waiter. The first time I heard of it was when the phone rang to tell me I can come down and get it. Not great food either for what they charge.

The service in the actual restaurant is also poor. Waiters need to be tackled in order to come to your table and get generally frazzled if there are more than two tables.

That being said nice hotel and lovely location, perfect if you are only there for a short time.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Arrived at City Lodge at about 9.30 at night after a 13 hour drive and with no booking. The reception staff were excellent, very efficient and got us booked into our rooms very fast. The rooms are really well furnished and of a good quality although they are on the small side. I would not want to stay here for a week due to the room size but for one night stay it was really good.

The breakfast was excellent and I loved the Lemon Poppyseed muffins.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Port Elizabeth, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Thanks for your comments - we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

I stayed one night in this hotel at arguably the busiest time of the year (Ironman competition) and was impressed with the efficiency of the hotel staff. This hotel is a tad noisy as walls are a little thin and all the exercise and adrenalin junkies wake far too early and speak in loud excited voices, however, be that as it may, the hotel suits the needs of the business traveller to a "T". I was too tired to sit in the lounge having supper, so I ordered my food "trayed" and took it to the room where I was able to lounge in slothful indulgence. The food was delicious and I got what I ordered - the salmon trout salad and the chicken soya wraps are both recommended. The only thing that did not work in the room was the fact that the safe is far too small to accommodate a laptop computer. Otherwise this hotel is very well situated along Beach Road and is central for town or the airport. Access and exits are easy as there are traffic lights at the intersections and basement parking is provided. As for the price - remarkably low!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Port Elizabeth, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel - we hope to see you again soon.