We stayed at the City Lodge Port Elizabeth for a 2 night weekend to attend my wife's aunt's 90th birthday. We chose this hotel mainly for its location. It is a few minutes drive to the local Casino complex, which offers a good selection of restaurants, plus it is just across the road from the beach, and as PE is a compact city, it is not more than 15 minutes from most shopping malls, and tourist attractions, and just 5 minutes from the airport.
On arrival, the security/doorman could have been a bit more helpful, but in his defence he did offer to take our luggage. The hotel is in the process of building a new complex, and parking is a bit far from the reception, but this is temporary.
Check in was a breeze, and we were clearly told about where to eat breakfast, and times as well.
The room is not the largest I have ever stayed in, but is more than sufficient, and a plus was that sufficient clothes hangers were supplied. Bathroom consisted of bath and shower cubicle. The TV was bit old fashioned, but the hotel offered a decent selection of channels, which include sports, news, entertainment, cartoons and the 4 free to air channels available in SA. The bed was very comfortable. Our room looked out over the adjacent Courtyard Hotel, which blocked out the seaview.
Breakfast was a buffet and cooked breakfast, with a good selection. I would rate breakfast among one the best I have experienced in my travels. Service breakfast was good.
Overall the service was good, and when I was suffering severe heartburn, one of the night staff was able to assist with some antacid.
I would not recommend using the adjacent restaurant for room service, as the food is mediocre. The only reason we utilised this restaurant (John Dory's) was because I wanted to watch some rugby on the Friday evening. Because there are so many restaurants around the hotel, one can eat out and have a decent meal within a couple of minutes drive.
Overall, our stay was a pleasant stay, and would I recommend this hotel? Definitely.Would I stay there again? Definitely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel has a swimming pool for those hot summer days as well as a fitness room and a small meeting room for guest use. It is across the road from Humewood Beach, within walking distance of many restaurants, 500m from the Oceanarium and Boardwalk casino and entertainment area. The hotel is 8 minutes from Port Elizabeth’s CBD and 10 minutes from the Port Elizabeth Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your City Lodge Hotel Port Elizabeth reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- City Lodge Port Elizabeth Hotel Port Elizabeth
- City Hotel Port Elizabeth
- City Lodge Hotel Port Elizabeth Summerstrand