I looked forward to returning to this hotel. Reception was warm an friendly. I was upgraded to a suite with enough space to house a small tribe. It is well equipped with most things you would need. Comfortable bed, great view, blackout curtains, kitchenette, lounge area, dining area, work station, wifi, etc Great so far.
So why the below average rating?
1. The room fixtures and fittings are all well worn and tired. Most furniture is scratched, chipped or marked. Walls are marked. Shower has mould etc.
2. Breakfast was the usual excellent City Lodge variety. On the first morning service was pathetic. I had to search for a table that was not littered with dirty plates etc. After waiting about 10 minutes I unsuccessfully tried the coffee machine, without any staff offering to assist. Eventually the duty manager offered me coffee at the table half way through the meal. I did have friendly word with the manager and on the second day the service was prompt and friendly, but they did run out of croissants............
3. Day 2 was started with the treat of a cold shower! "We are working on it"
4. Reception. As expected staff are friendly and professional. In general there is usually only one behind the desk, so all interactions are drawn out by numerous interruptions. Didn't help that the credit card machine didn't work on checkout. Reception also looks grubby with a wall well marked by greasy hands over the years ( the things you notice while waiting for long periods!)
5. For the two days a cleaning trolley remained parked in the passage, and had to be moved when the wind blew it into the stairway access.
So while it is a nice facility in a good location, this Courtyard could do with a serious makeover as it does not live up to the brand expectations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Courtyard Hotel Port Elizabeth is situated on Marine Drive in the Boardwalk Casino and Resort complex, directly opposite the famed Humewood International Beach of the Eastern Cape. The hotel consists of 91 suites and studios some with sea facing views. Situated 8 minutes from the CBD and 5 minutes from Port Elizabeth Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Courtyard Hotel Port Elizabeth reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard Port Elizabeth
- Port Elizabeth Courtyard
- Courtyard Hotel Port Elizabeth Summerstrand