“Terribly rude owner”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Summerstrand
5th Avenue Beach House
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Summerstrand
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Long stay. The lady who runs the place is a soft-spoken and nice lady. Sad she did not speak up, when her husband who never greeted me until one moment he shouted at me wildly in the streets in front of people and threatened me. Just because a chair broke under me, I did not get hurt luckily, but he was angry I told the staff and not me. Staff was so amazingly friendly and nice, warm people. The facilities are great, and pool nice. But unfortunately, have to give a very poor review when I get treated like that as a reliant paying customer. So it is not the staff I rate as poor service, but the treatment of the owner

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank nomad_from_the_north

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed here for one week with a group of university faculty. Our 2nd floor room was spacious and nicely appointed, including a refrigerator and microwave. The bathroom had a shower and tub, and the toiletries even included insect repellent! The balcony was nice for sitting and reading. Breakfast was very good with some cooked-to-order items. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. Athena was a very personable host and most helpful in answering my many questions. The location couldn't be better -- only a block away from the beach! And it is only a few blocks away from Boardwalk casino/shopping area and some nice dining. I highly recommend this property and hope I will be able to return some day.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I have been coming to 5th Avenue Beach House for >15 years. This has become my home from home in PE. The friendly and efficient service is unsurpassed and the rooms are fantastic with great showers. You soon become part of the family and nothing is to much hassle for Anthea and her team.

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong with room 6.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Have just returned from my fifth stay at fifth avenue beach house. I can't recommend this gem of a place enough.always a great welcome and made to feel like one of the family. I have visited on my own, whilst on business and with my family and it never disappoints. Lovely accommodation always fresh and clean. Exceptional staff always helpful friendly and most important totally trustworthy. Wonderful breakfast - you won't need anything for rest of day. Dinner available on request. I have already pre booked for my next visit

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Hanne29892
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We had a one night stay here before leaving for a safari. The hotel was spotless and we had a very large and comfortable room that was spotless. It had a very large walk in shower and plenty of clean towels and hot water. The owner was a lovely lady who made you very welcome. The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice. We would have liked to stay longer than the one night

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jacqueline s
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Good size room although not well sound proofed, as evidenced by the very noisy neighbours at 1.45am in the night.

If you like your table height near your chin this is a great place to have breakfast, but if you would rather sit at a normal height then you'll have to go to the cafe on the beachfront.

Generally pleasant but starting to fade. Quite a lot of mess (bottles, cigarettes) left near the pool area. Patio seems like it's not cleaned very often.

Could do with buying the poor receptionist a new chair, as the current one is very stained.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Our fifth visit staying here, the first was 1999 and we find Anthea & Mush excellent hosts. All the staff are very welcoming and the food is excellent. The rooms are large and very comfortable and kept very clean.The beach is only 200 metres away or you have a pool to swim in. The village of Summerstrand is just round the corner and has a number of shops in the arcade.
A great place to stay for R & R, we hope to be able to go back soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ellieSurrey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summerstrand
Radisson Blu Hotel, Port Elizabeth
#6 of 33 in Port Elizabeth
3 mi away
Protea Hotel Port Elizabeth Marine
Road Lodge Port Elizabeth Airport
Road Lodge Port Elizabeth Airpor...
#23 of 33 in Port Elizabeth
3 mi away
The Boardwalk Hotel
The Boardwalk Hotel
#2 of 13 in Summerstrand

Been to 5th Avenue Beach House? Share your experiences!