“A hole in the wall, but a jewel!”
Review of Mama Rosa's

Mama Rosa's
Ranked #18 of 112 Restaurants in North Haven
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
New Haven, Connecticut
“A hole in the wall, but a jewel!”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We tried Mama Rosa's since it's really close to us, and we went out one evening looking for a place to grab a bite that wasn't part of some soul-less chain. Mama Rosa's restaurant is sort of a dive, but it's perfect if you're looking for good food and not ambiance.

I tried the small calzone, which was just $7.50. I wasn't sure of what to expect, and when it came I nearly fell over. It was humongous, like a large pizza folded in half, and it was just loaded with fresh mozzarella and ricotta. It had a flavor I remember from many years ago growing up in Brooklyn - what a treat! And so big I ate until I was full and still took half of it home with me.

My wife had a chicken pasta dish that was also very good. And the surprise - if you eat in the restaurant, they offer you a complimentary glass of wine with your meal! Not exceptional stuff, mind you, but still a pleasant bonus.

Since that meal, we've tried them 3 more times, usually for take-out. Their pizza is also good, though not quite as good as several apizza places nearby. And we also tried their LARGE calzone: it was big enough to make 2 meals for 2 people, and it cost just around $9.50 or so.

All in all, this place has become our favorite local restaurant. We'll go back often, and recommend it to anyone who wants good portions of really good food, but doesn't want or need a fancy place to have it in.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Providence_RITom

New Haven, Connecticut
“Great food in perfect portions!”
Reviewed 8 June 2011

This Italian Restaurant has been one of the best experiences in my culinary expeditions. It is humbly tucked into the side of the intersection of State Street and Sackett Point Road providing ample parking.

The menu is extensive covering seafood to your standard spaghetti and tomato sauce. The tomato sauce is perfection! It doesn't have a salty aftertaste and is not acidic or too sweet.

I have fallen in love with the eggplant parmigiana and the fried calamari that comes with a delectable fra diavolo sauce. The entrees come with a side of pasta and salad/soup--this is a meal that will fill the hungriest of patrons! I love this place! I only wish I discovered it earlier...

Mama Rosa's is truly North Haven's best-kept Italian dining experience!

• Visited June 2011