“Surprise, Surprise”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Surprise, Surprise”
Reviewed 14 July 2005

I must begin by saying that my family and a friend that I traveled with were very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. I was looking for a reasonable room in order to take a last minute trip to Mystic and North Stonington is a couple exits away from the Seaport. After narrowing down hotels, I decided on the Hilltop Inn despite the mixed reviews. I just took a chance and booked a room at around 1:00 am in the morning before we were to travel.

I called and made my reservation via a voice response system. I attempted to call the hotel at around 2:00 and 10:00 am to confirm the reservation but was unable to do so. I was told that online and telephone reservations arrive at the hotel by 11:00. I arrived in Mystic and took in the sights later that day and again called the hotel at 3:00 pm and was told everything was fine. Hearing the news, I was releaved so we went to the hotel.

We arrived and as I mentioned, we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel was well maintained on the outside, the check in process was very smooth and progressed quickly. We had a room on the second floor close to the main lobby, which we found quite convenient because during check in we noticed the breakfast area had coffee, milk, juices, fresh cookies and fruit for the taking so we dropped off our bags and returned for snacks and beverages.

Parking is average, during the day we parked right near our room but after midnight when we arrived back from Foxwoods, the more convenient spaces were filled so we had to walk about a couple hundred feet. The hotel parking lot goes completely around the building but we ended up on the far end from our room, definitely not a big deal. Just as I could expect anywhere else.

The room appeared clean. Of course, we all hear the stories of what hotels are really like but again, the room looked and smelled clean. There were no spots, stains, etc anywhere and that definitely includes the bathroom area. My friend noticed that even the grout was clean.

The cooling system kept us quite comfortable but was a bit on the noisy side. Despite the air conditioners hum, we slept well.

We did not utilize the shuttle because for our short time in CT, we wanted to come and go as we chose and drove our own car to be free to leave when we wished. At check in, we were told that the limo only ran until 10:45 so that made our choice to drive even easier.

The next morning, an ample breakfast of waffles, cereal, yogurt, bagels, donuts, danishes and beverages was served. The hostess had her hands full but stayed on top of supplies from waffle batter to napkins. My hats off to her 100 pairs of hands and eyes. The breakfast area was crowded but quite expected. Everyone is up and ready to start their day and that includes breakfast. We waited a few minutes for a table but people ate and moved on so it wasn't too bad. We could have taken our breakfast up to our rooms and ate on the table provided but we waited the extra minutes.

Let me conclude by saying if you need a hotel, this was a great hotel for even twice the price. Everyone who worked at the hotel was very pleasant and eager to please, which they did. We would definitely stay there again.

Stayed July 2005
10 Thank bluesette

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed 5 July 2005

My husband & I stayed overnight for July 4th while visiting Foxwoods. Great value compared to staying at casino. Limo was nice picked us up from casino promptly but they neglected to tell us that on the holiday the limo only ran until 12:00 noon, so we had to take a $15.00 cab from the hotel to get back to the casino. Other than that, our stay was enjoyable, nice room, great jacuzzi tub, comfortable bed & pillows, and plenty of little extras in room. Place was very clean. The free breakfast was also great. I would stay there again, but be sure to ask every day on the time schedule of the limo and plan accordingly. Staff was very friendly too.

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bocabec New Brunswick
Reviewed 21 June 2005

Stayed 2 nights at this motel which we found on the internet-a bit concerned after reading poor reviews here, but found a very friendly staff, clean and well furnished room. Quality soaps, fluffy towels and, yes, a big basket of mints..... Still have a wide selection for breakfast, from hot waffles to bagels and yogurt, which is included in the price of room.
If you pick up a Travellor coupon magazine, there is a coupon which was $15 less than what we paid and we got a great price, compared to others in the area (found the magazine on the way home...)
Would stay here again because of the above and closeness to the casinos.

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank Fundytide
Reviewed 21 March 2005

I was very displeased. First off the light in the bathroom was not workingt. The only light was the heater light. The room was avarage. We did not recieve our roll of quarters on check in I had to go back to the front desk and ask for them. The other BIG thing was I was quoted a price of $308 or $3??....I asked is that for the 2 nights total and the man I talked to said yes. At check out it was $789 or something like that. IT was 300 per night. The breakfast was always crouded and we could not get a seat. We took a beagle back to our room and had to through it out becuase it was like a hockey puck and went else where. We did not get a chance to use the limo service becuase we were afraid we would have to get a cab back so we took our own car witch was no big deal to us. But for the price of the hotel the room should of been better. There was dirty used gauze behind the dresser and even burn marks in the rug. The room reminded me of any normal room you would get at the Super 8 Hotel. Also the parking there is not good at all. My boyfriend has a hard time walking at times and we always had to park 1 mile away from our room one night i thought i was going to have to carry him back to the room becuase his knees kept giving out. The only time we got to park in the parking lot closes to our door was in the day time when no one was there and we came back to shower up before going to the casino.

• Stayed February 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these North Stonington hotels

Reviewed 19 February 2005

I booked a suite at Hilltop Inn for my fiancee's birthday. I was excited about the suite and the limo service to the casino. When I arrived, my room was not booked correctly. The limosine was not impressive. I found it dirty. At check out, I stated to the receptionist that I will be paying with a different credit card than I held the room with. She told me it was not a problem. I found out the following week that Hilltop charged me twice! Once for my suite, (on the card they were not suppose to use), and again on the correct card for another room I didn't even stay in! Although in the end it was taken care of. I would not stay in this hotel again.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
boston
Reviewed 15 November 2004

This was a great hotel. Only 3 miles from foxwoods with van and limo shuttle service to the casino. The rooms were clean and very well maintened. As other viewers have written they give you tons of mints in the vanity area and table. The breakfast was the best I ever had for "included". Cereals, juices, coffee, bagels, danish, and the make your own waffled were great. I will definetly check out the jacuzzi suite next time I go. They have about 20 suites in the hotel. They also offer a spa and workout room. We got there early and were able to check in at 1:00pm which was great. You can not beat this hotel for the rate and service. Cant wait to go back.

8 Thank kjanet2001
bloomingdale ny 12913
Reviewed 8 October 2004

we stayed at the hilltop in in north stonington ct- we had a shutte service nitely at different times to foxwoods casino-didnt win but nice time-had a great con. breakfast daily, the room was clean etc-also went to the mohegan sun casino-beatiful there-

4 Thank branchwidow
Cedar Park Inn And Suites
Cedar Park Inn And Suites
#4 of 5 in North Stonington
Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic

Been to Hilltop Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!