“Average, don't expect much”

Extended Stay America - Norwalk - Stamford
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Norwalk
Bengaluru, India
“Average, don't expect much”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Was a business trip, stayed here for two weeks. Has a few pros, but lack of customer service is the biggest point against. In my opinion, unless you are someone who really loves to prepare your own food it may be better to choose the Marriott/Hilton or the newly opened Even hotel that are located on Main Avenue over this.

Pros
-Located close to offices on Main avenue
-Grab and go breakfast (Complementary, a basic breakfast that includes fruits, coffee and oatmeal bar)
-Free Wifi, this is common in business hotels

Cons
- Understaffed & no customer service. There is only one person manning the reception and usually not very helpful. We checked in on the weekend and the room was stinking, had to make multiple requests to ensure we got someone to spray a freshener.
- No daily housekeeping
- No business center

No other major issues.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank kriBengaluru

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 June 2014

THEY HAVE BED BUGS!!! I have taken some time to write this review in hopes by now there would have been some resolution to this matter. We chose this hotel for the spacious rooms and kitchen with full fridge and cook top. Upon arrival staff seemed new and slightly unorganized, after some time they got check in completed. Room was clean and well put together. Unfortunately they only have one luggage dolly, so if you have a lot to unpack, the next people to check in are told your room number so they can get the dolly to use them selves. The breakfast on the go was nice and convenient. But by the second morning there, Red bites developed on my arms, hands, and face. I had a total of 13 bed bug bits. I am hyper sensitive to bed bug bits, they react within one to two days and are intensely painful for me. That is why i was sure of what it was. But still i wanted physical evidence and pulled up he sheets and mattress. Just under the last set of sheets, on top of the mattress protector, was a juvenile bed bug. I go to the front desk and let them know what i have found in my room, and she suggested it was brought in by the dog. I reminded her we didn't have a dog and that i wanted to write a complaint. She said she would notify the manager tomorrow. And that there was no complaint form to fill out. I asked for a refund she said that, "When "this" happens refunds are only given out by our insurance company." However, she was unable to remember the name of the insurance company. She also said to save my receipts, after that she was unable to offer assistance of any kind. She even said the hotel didn't have any plastic bags bigger then a shoe box. The house keeping staff were the most helpful out of all the employees.They were the only ones able to give us large plastic bags to store our now contaminated possessions. The next day i had not heard from general manager or "insurance company X" and was unable to get ahold of the GM "Ina Gallant" by phone. I went back to the hotel to discuss my remuneration and once again was sorely disappointed. Ina first denied any knowledge of my problems in room 306 then with conversation changed her story to say she was unaware I expected a call back. She said an incident report was in fact filled out by the previous front desk employee and that Ina herself had sent it on to corporate that very day. When i asked to see this incident report she was unable to locate it for approximately 20 minutes. When Ina finally presented the incident report it was ridiculously inaccurate. It stated I was there with my husband and child, when in fact, it was four separate adults returning to four separate homes. It even stated on the bottom that the police had been called with a file number attached. When I informed Ina of the reports inaccuracies and asked to write an accurate one, Ina replied it wasn't necessary to send another to corporate because she had already sent this one. When she refused to write a new report I asked for corporates number she said i could find it online. I was able to get name of Extended Stay America's insurance company (AIG)from Ina but with no number available. I ,with much persistence, was able to acquire Ina's managers name and phone number (Brian Alves) About half way home Ina calls me and has decided it may be important to get the accurate story and proceeds to write a new report over the phone! At this point, is the first time she actually expressed apologies that we had been exposed to bed bugs. When I said I have 13 bites she inflated the number on the report to say 20. (Falsifying the document now ruining its credibility) she said it would sound better that way. The following day i called Brian Alves and was sent to voicemail were I left a message bringing him up to date on the situation. I have since called Brian two more times and have received no phone call back. I have not heard from Extended Stay America or AIG and i have not been issued a refund. This is a horrible hotel.

Room Tip: Dont stay here.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jennifer D

Travellers are raving about these Norwalk hotels

Chatham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We recently booked a one night stay at this hotel for my son's college orientation. We booked the room two weeks in advance and we received a confirmation for a room with 2 queen beds. When we arrived the evening of our stay, we were informed that the hotel was completely booked and all they had left was a room with one queen bed. Since our party consisted of three fully grown adults, this was not going to work. The employee at the registration desk told us that his boss had told him to tell guests that there was nothing they could do and we could take it or leave it. They did not offer anything to accommodate us or help us find a room in another hotel. After multiple phone calls, we were able to find a room in a hotel nearby, the Even hotel. It turned out to be a much cleaner, nicer and more hospitable hotel. Of course we had to pay a lot more for the room since we were just walk-ins, but they could not have been nicer. We will never stay at an Extended stay America hotel again, and are appalled at the lack of care and customer service they provided.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Birgit170
Boston
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My wife and I were headed to NYC for a weekend but hotels were super expensive. We chose to stay outside the city. This is just 45 minutes from NYC and the staff was great getting us menus for local restaurants that delivered. We've now stayed there twice and will probably stay again. In room fridge, stove, and microwave.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kanend84
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This place was very clean & easy to get to off the Merritt Parkway! I loved the prices and the bathroom size, not too small! The hotel is located right on RT.7 near many places to dine, there was a supermarket right up the street and a Walmart! We simply filled our fridge that was in our room & cooked away! I wish there was many more hotel like this near family! The beds were to comfy ugh we didn't want to get up! The T.V. didn't have many great channels, but we had a lap top so we just used the Wi-Fi there! The parking there was great , so we didn't have to drive around looking for a free space! The staff was great when it came to questions about things to do in town or shopping! We will be here every time we come around to visit the family.

Room Tip: This hotel allows pets so if your allergic please let therm know so you can get a different floor fr...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chocolatevirgo
North Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Needed a moderately priced hotel in the Norwalk area where I could stay with my dog. Doubletree had become very unpleasant. This property has very pleasant staff, clean, good sized rooms, and is great location just off the Merritt. Less expensive than the DoubleTree, recently renovated and staff was pleasant. I would stay here again without my pet.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank VTCT
Pleasant Valley, New York
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Clean, friendly, quiet, all accomodations in excellent shape. Would have preferred a softer bed, but that is just personal taste. I was in CT for a licensing test. Weather prediction for snow required I stay at a hotel that was close to the testing site at 20 Glover Ave, in Norwalk. This hotel was perfectly located, I could have walked to the test!

Room Tip: I had a ground floor room facing the back. Very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo