“Great hotel!”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Norwalk
New York City, New York
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My bf and I stayed here for a night over the weekend and I must say our stay was wonderful!! Our stay consisted of the date night package which included a complimentary bottle of wine (which wasn't in the room upon arrival but as soon as I called the front desk, it was there in less than 5 minutes), 2 movie tickets and a great Studio King room. The room was very modern and trendy, we had an amazing view of the waterfall from our room which made our stay very peaceful and serene. The staff was GREAT, Adam was very courteous and informed us of all the hotel amenities. We really liked their Skytop 353 lounge which had a pool table, TV, mini-golf and an over sized chess board (my bf LOVES chess), however it rained the night before we got there and the seats were wet and we couldn't sit down but we will definitely be back to enjoy that part of the hotel. Overall, the hotel was great and well worth it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Timothy_Simpson, General Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees Norwalk, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear KimG,

Thank you for taking a moment to post this great review about us. I am glad to hear that our date night package was everything you needed and more. You came just at just the right time to experience the SKYTOP353 lounge and I’m happy that your boyfriend enjoyed the outdoor chess. I will be sure to share your feedback with the entire team for their great service especially Adam. Thank you for choosing Hotel Zero Degrees Norwalk and we hope to welcome you once more in the near future.

Tim Simpson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
DEstin Fl
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I would love to give this place 5 stars but there were enough things that made us angry.
The worst is the inability to adjust the HVAC unit to a reasonable fan speed. The unit is right by the desk where one can read or work. When the unit kicks in the blowing is very uncomfortable.
The lighting in the room is ridiculous----the standing lamp on the work table is so bright (yes, eye blinding bright!!) it is almost useless. There are modern design touches with ledges coming out of the wall but there is no lighting under them, so you cannot see anything There is a bright hallway light but no ceiling light. The small bedside lamps are fine.
They only leave you one bar of soap--you are supposed to use the "shower gel" in the big bottle on the back wall which we both hated----had to go ask for extra bars of soap.
They did not bother to leave any extra plastic cups so we had to go ask for those as well.
My wife and I are convinced that this hotel was designed by a European. Form beats function everywhere.
We love modern design just wish it were functional as well. The restaurant downstairs is good.
Unfortunately breakfast is not---the usual eggs from a box and really nothing tasty to eat that I could find.
I guess we would stay here again since at least the bed was comfortable and the shower was fine once you can find some soap.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DRPETE24
Timothy_Simpson, General Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees Norwalk, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear DrPete24,

My apologies that you did not entirely enjoy your stay with us. We have often heard many travelers suggest more lighting especially at the work area so I’m surprised to hear that you found it too bright. In an effort to reduce the amount of waste from our Gilchrist & Soames bath amenities they stationed are in dispensers; a growing trend in the boutique hotel market. I understand that this may not necessarily be to everyone’s liking but a call to the Front Desk and we would have been more than happy to deliver more bars of soaps and individual-use shampoos, conditioners and shower gel to your room. Thank you for your feedback and safe travels.

West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

When first driving up to the hotel, I was kind of nervous. From the outside, you really don't know what to expect at the hotel. Don't let that concern you, this property, the rooms, and the service are impeccable. At check in, the gentleman at the front desk, Adam was outstanding. He checked me in and shared all of the amenities of the hotel. He demonstrated outstanding service and I was extremely impressed. Later during my stay, I contacted the front desk when my TV was not working right, Adam even came up to the room to fix it.

When arriving into the room, I was really surprised to find a most relaxing room. The shower at the hotel was one of the best that I've enjoyed in a long time. Beautifully decorated room, comfortable bed, amazing bathroom, and overall, an outstanding hotel to stay in whether you are on business or pleasure. And, kudos to Adam and all of the staff for working hard to make this hotel one that would inspire me to write my first review on this site.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Timothy_Simpson, General Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees Norwalk, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear David Q,
Thank you for taking a moment to post such an excellent review. I am glad that we were able to not only meet but exceed your expectation on your recent trip with us. From our modern décor, comfortable rooms and great service. Kudos to Adam for truly delivering exceptional service as well, we will be sure to commend him on it as well. We encourage all team members to go above and beyond for all our guests whenever possible. Thank you once more and should your travels bring you to Norwalk we look forward to having you stay with us.

Neptune, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

My partner and I stayed there for a wedding over the weekend-what a pleasantly surprise. We live all the way in South Jersey and didn't know what to expect from a hotel in Norwalk. This is a new hotel with the feel of a hip trendy hotel in the city a stark comparison to area its in.The staff were really great - and genuinely made us feel welcomed. I wanted Coke but they only carried Pepsi in their store and they offered to run out and pick me up the Coke- that is service!!
Decor was cool, modern and clean as were the rooms. Really enjoyed the comfortable beds. We also went up to the rooftop deck which was nice especially since the weather wasn't too chilly. Breakfast was good my only suggestion is a waffle station. I think I can say we enjoyed the hotel as much as the wedding - score!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Walter C
Dear Walter C,
I appreciate you posting such a great review about us. I am pleased to know that your weekend wedding trip turned out to be a wonderful and unexpected staycation. I am especially glad to hear that the staff went above and beyond to ensure that your stay was enjoyable. Thank you for the breakfast suggestion and we do hope to see you sometime in the near future. Safe travels!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Security is not a priority here and neither is customer service. I'm still shocked about the service and decided to share it with others. We checked in and left to visit with a relative and shop. Upon arrival hours later we arrived to find a man with just a backpack leaving our room. He was in a hurry and didn't stick around when we asked why he was there. Our valuables were in the room and we were worried.The hotel staff said we must have taken his room, as if it was our fault. They didn't apologize or switch our room. Was he coming back? Who else had keys? Does this happen regularly? The staff and manager need to get their act together. They lost our business. I would be weary of taking your family here or anything valuable. Be sure to lock the deadbolt, or better yet, select a hotel where safety and service are priorities.

• Stayed February 2014
6 Thank reasonabletravelers
Timothy_Simpson, General Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees Norwalk, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Reasonabletravellers,

I must say I am terribly sorry to hear about this unfortunate experience during your stay back in February. Without a doubt safety and security is an on-going priority for our guests. We have strict procedures in the event a security breach has occurred on property especially if brought to our attention by a guest. Firstly we would check the camera system to analyze and verify footage of who exactly entered the room at any given time. In addition we do what is called a lock audit in which we interrogate the room door using a secure system to identify who used the key as all guestroom keys are assigned to their respective guest. More importantly were any of your personal belongings missing or interfered with. I certainly wish I was informed earlier so that I could have launched a full investigation into exactly what happened and compiled a detailed report. Should you have a moment I would sincerely appreciate a phone call at your convenience to discuss in further detail, feel free to reach out to me at 203-750-9800.

Regards,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Got hotwire reservations and booked three nights for $90/night (including taxes). Room was clean , breakfast was just enough, staff was polite and attentive.

Good value. Recommend.

I'd like to leave it at that but TripAdvisor has a ridiculous 200 character review minimum!

Stayed April 2014
Timothy_Simpson, General Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees Norwalk, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Dan S,

I appreciate you taking a moment to post this review about your recent stay. It seems we were everything you needed during your stay with us. We strive to provide great service and value and it seems that we did just that. Thank you and we hope to welcome you once more in the near future.

Bridgewater, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

This review is based on an unplanned one-night stay during travel along Route 15.

From the outside, the hotel looks a bit like a refurbished standard rectangular hotel from just about any chain's playbook. However, it is a ground-up creation from 2009.

However, upon entering you see design queues that are simple, modern but still comfortable It feels like a mash-up of a Courtyard by Marriot and a W. The staff that greeted us was cheerful and helpful, and everything was clean.

The room was very comfortable, done in greys and oranges and everything was spacious, efficient and well-done. There are two odd notes: The end-tables were made of metal, and while pretty, clanged like a bell when I put my glasses down for the night. Second, the shower (much like many W hotels these days, has a translucent wall facing the room. You can't see in, but when you turn on the bathroom light, it filters brightly into the bedroom. If your spouse uses the bathroom at night, expect the entire room to be lit. Pillows and blankets were perfect for the comfortable bed (medium firm) and the TV, desk, etc were modern and worked well.

In the morning we visited the rooftop deck and would have loved to have spent the morning sunning ourselves. Breakfast was rather good with quality coffee.

One word about the train, the hotel is located at the point where a freight line crosses the river, so the view (and occasional noise) is the only negative. Otherwise, I'd say if you wanted a modern hotel that is a step up from a Courtyard, then definitely stay here. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Street side to avoid train noise. Note that hotel is built over a parking deck which is great for f...