“Great place with marvellous grounds”
Review of Dolce Norwalk

Dolce Norwalk
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Norwalk
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Great place with marvellous grounds”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed here for three weeks as part of an executive development programme. This appears to be a very popular place for such events, and with good reason. The hotel has a very good ambience, with absolutely lovely wooded areas all around. Perfect for walking and jogging. The rooms are quite spacious, clean and very comfortable. The staff is very courteous and friendly. Service is excellent. The food appears to be some sort of standardised fare. Limited availability of channels on TV. Full points for ambience, comfort, service and neatness. Overall, ann excellent place.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank s_ramsam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Rochester, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We went for mr husbands brother's wedding. It was comfortable, done very well and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. Without a doubt we would stay again. The hotel and ground are absolutely lovely. The staff helpful and friendly. I highly reccomdend. If your looking for a place to have wedding and reception and then have your guest stay overnight. This is the place. There is a lovely church not 15 minutes from the place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
new york
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We had my daughter's wedding here. It was wonderful and the feedback from the guests who stayed over (for two nights) was excellent. Hazel (our contact at the Dolce) could not have been a better or more experienced wedding planner. She thought of everything - she was sensitive to our budget, our fiddling and our customization of the experience. We wanted to avoid the typical banquet wedding and this certainly fit the bill. The rooms were luxurious and because this is a conference center and not a hotel, we had the place mostly to ourselves, including the running tracks, the pool, the basketball court etc. etc. The food was good, the breakfast buffet generous and delicious. The grounds are beautiful, and the property well maintained. Highly recommended for such an event. We had a blast.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank melker22
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Stayed here for 2 weeks at a live in conference back in October. The setting is absolutely gorgeous in back woods Norwalk. Very close to the border of New Canaan, which is home to some of the most wealthy people, and expensive homes in the Northeast USA. The accomodations were basic, but very clean. I would compare it to that of a Marriott or Sheraton. The grounds are on an old Monastary, wonderful walking paths and exercise facilities. The food was ok. Not fantastic, but good. The staff was very attentive, and the conference rooms and facilities were excellent. There is an onsite lounge/bar with a beautiful fireplace, as well as pool tables. The drink prices were very expensive compared to outside local prices.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off of the ground floor, so you get a better view.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Fool for the Beach
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I recently stayed at Dolce Norwalk as part of a large group holding a conference there. The setting was bucolic, the rooms were luxurious and the staff was attentive. However, the accounting team was an absolute nightmare, rendering all of the above mentioned "pluses" moot!

Upon check out, I was charged an amount that did not align with the originally quoted charges. This was very complex to figure out as Dolce insists on what they call their CMP which is a package rate that includes room, taxes, meals, conference room fees and technology fees. (You pay for the technology fees whether or not you actually use any of the technology in your conference room.) We finally straightened things out after several check backs with the front desk. However, the break down of fees I needed from the front desk were promised to me in one hour, then when they could get an accountant on the phone, then on Monday by email... and then, after calling them on Wednesday to ask where it was,...I finally got it on Thursday.

Next, I reviewed my bank account to find that Dolce Norwalk had charged my account three additional times for charges adding up to over $800! The accounting staff couldn't even tell me what the charges were for. It took over 8 emails and three phones calls and much, too much effort on MY part to get things straightened out. And for their error, what price do they pay??? Nothing! Because now it's up to ME to keep looking for my final credit to my bank account, and for me to keeping call Dolce and the bank when I don't see it. So for their error, it has cost ME hours of work.

I don't care how nice this place is or how pleasant and attentive the service, I will never stay here again and I would never recommend it to anyone. I must state though that Tricia was amazingly attentive to my problems and gives wonderful customer service, unfortunately, good customer service cannot ever make up for total incompetence on the part of the accounting team.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank breece
Connie P, Manager at Dolce Norwalk, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Thank you for your candid feedback. We apologize for the difficulty you had with your billing and have taken your experience seriously and have reviewed with the accounting department and with our guest services team as well. It is important that we are timely on guest concerns and in our action to resolve.

We are sincerely sorry for the time that you had to spend in resolving your account.

If there is anything that I can do to assist please feel free to contact me directly.
Connie Phelps
Rooms Division Manager
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 November 2010

We live in Mass., and my daughter, who doesn't have a license yet, had been invited to a function at Dolce. A block of rooms had been reserved for guests, so I drove her down and reserved a room for us to stay the night. As she had been invited to the function, but I had not, I didn't have access to what looked like wonderful food prepared for the celebration. That is the first big drawback to Dolce. If you are not attending a conference or function where your sponsor provides food, you are out of luck. They do have a restaurant, but only open Mon.-Thurs. in the evenings. So if you're there on a weekend as i was there is NO place to dine in the hotel, which is near nothing if you want a quick bite to eat. There is no room service. There is no place to get breakfast in the morning, although there is "in room" coffee. So while my teenage daughter partied at her function, i hung out in the room wondering where the heck i could go to eat. I searched the hotel guest book for ideas and saw that there were vending machines on the third floor. I walked up, only to find a cigarette vending machine !!!!!! and a second vending machine of various frappucinos, mostly empty. I went to the front desk to ask where I might find a restaurant, only to be informed that they had actually opened up the "closed" restaurant for the evening as there were some other guests. This, of course, had not been advertised. I did go to the restaurant where I, and 4 other gentlemen who wandered in later, ate. There was not another soul in the place. The food was fine but not a bargain - a few drinks, a salad, and a steak sandwich set me back $65.00 (including the 20% tip they automatically add in.) But the fire in the fireplace was lovely, the bartender did make an excellent cosmo, and i played a wonderful game of pool on one of the two pool tables at the end of the room, deliriously happy that i (a female) could play with no one watching!
Next: The rooms were quite nice, nice linens, great TV, nice bath, but a rug that desperately needed cleaning. However, I agree with the reviewer who wrote that the place reminded him/her of The Shining. I couldn't quite figure out what it was, but there was something a little "medieval" about the place. Unfortunately, our air conditioner and thermostat did not work - not a big problem for us given the temperate autumn weather, but in summer or winter it would have been brutal. I called the front desk to let them know, but it was not fixed. (The next morning at checkout I was told that they are about to renovate all the rooms - I read that as dated a/c/heating systems, not working).
The fitness facilities did look fabulous - two beautiful tennis courts (no cracks!), a gorgeous indoor HUGE pool, a beautiful running/walking trail that goes through the grounds and encircles the pond - and it was while walking this trail that my daughter and I stumbled upon an old, small cemetery on the grounds with all of the tombstones labelled "Brother" and "Father." When we got home I did some internet research and discovered that the building was actually an old seminary - and THEN I understood why the cell like rooms, deep dark windowsills, and layout, were mildly unsettling. Many people wouldn't notice, but that one other reviewer did.
All that said, if I were going to a conference or wedding, and all the meals were part of being invited to the function, I would go in a heartbeat. There would be lots to do in free time if you like tennis, swimming, or walking the grounds. But if you're travelling on your own and looking for a place to stay, don't try to reserve a room here through Expedia or one of the other outlets. Dolce will tell you that they're not "open to the public," which explains the lack of typical hotel amenities like an in house restaurant, good vending machines, a place to get breakfast, etc. But if I were part of a conference, I think I would have a heck of a good time - despite the little bit of creepiness about the place.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank MissMonkey'sMom
Hoboken, NJ
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Stayed at this hotel for a week long training course. Thoroughly enjoyed the facility: it as a large pool, gym and basketball court, spacious, quiet grounds with a 1 mile running/walking circuit. The breakout rooms and conference rooms are good: functional, not luxurious, but just want you need. Food was great, bar was relaxed and fun. This is a large facility so there will usually be multiple companies there during the week, and weddings at the weekend. Staff were almost all superb, friendly and efficient. Liked it so much I stayed an extra night on my dollar ! Downtown Norwalk is a 15 minute drive away and has quite a few restaurants and pubs. One minus: cellphone reception in the rooms is lousy, and wireless internet in the conference center area is very poor. Presume the wireless service can be fixed, but the poor cell phone reception was a pain.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business