“Great place to stay, very refreshing!”
Review of EVEN Hotel Norwalk

EVEN Hotel Norwalk
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Norwalk
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dayton, United States
“Great place to stay, very refreshing!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed here June 30, 2014 for business. Has only been open for 2 weeks. The employees are eager to please and the hotel was exceptionally clean and very nice. I fully expect this place to fully booked as soon as the word gets out. I've stayed in the area before and the rates are very reasonable given the quality. I will definitely stay here when business brings me back to the area or other parts of the country if there is an EVEN Hotel available. Be advised there is a wardrobe area instead of a bureau which was different although most biz travelers I talk with never actually use the bureau.

1 Thank Scott B
Dieter S, Chief Wellness Officer/ General Manager at EVEN Hotel Norwalk, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Scott B,

We understand how draining life on the road can be and from the moment you enter we as a collective team take pride in providing a energetic, legendarily personable, relaxing haven from outside stresses here at Even Hotel Norwalk. We are ecstatic to read that we succeeded in doing so during your time with us. We understand wellness means different things to each individual and whether it be our best in class Athletic Studio, Beauty Rest mattresses with Eucalyptus cooling sheets, business functionality throughout our rooms, healthy food options, delicious cocktails and smoothies at Cork & Kale were here to ensure you stay on track and feel truly valued while traveling. Thank you for sharing your pictures on our Trip Advisor gallery and for your review. We thoroughly enjoyed having you with us while in Norwalk and look forward to what we hope is many return visits!

Chief Wellness Officer/ General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have relatives who live less than a mile from here, man was I excited to learn there was a new IHG property opening. After some careful negotiations with the front desk about switching hotels (with a cancellation fee at the other), they decided to do the "right" thing and let me try out this new to the scene, fitness hotel that I can't say enough good things about.

I believe this is an old Sheraton Four Points that was completely gutted. When you walk into the welcoming lobby, you are met with four different options of water, three of which are flavored. I loved the strawberry-mint the best.....there was also a pineapple-cilantro that was quite decent, as well. The hotel is ultra modern in just about every way possible. I was greeted by a friendly woman at the front desk who was able to assist in getting us a room at $119/night. However, she didn't offer us a breakfast option which I found out later so I had to go back and re-up for $129/night, giving each of us a $10 credit at breakfast the next morning.

As I stated before, this is a fitness hotel.....including the encouragement of taking the stairs to get to your room on the upper floors. They have one of the nicest workout rooms right behind the front desk that you'll see in a hotel at this price point. Plus, there is workout equipment in your room, from yoga mats to resistance bands. I don't believe there is enough room in the guestrooms themselves to warrant the yoga materials, nor is there anything ready to go in terms of maybe a 24 hr channel with yoga instruction on it. But, it's a nice concept in theory and I did end up using the resistance bands just to try them out.

The rooms themselves are aimed at the travelling business person. From a white board with markers and an eraser to hookups galore around the room (there may have been six USB ports but I didn't fully count), that was one of the parts I enjoyed best. Simply plugging in my phone into the USB right next to the bed was ultra handy. The bathrooms were also quite exqusite. Standup shower with repurposed floors as you walked in. There were different gels to choose from, "calming" and "energetic" instead of standard bar soap. While I believe the branding is a bit cheesy and unproven, I found myself reaching for the energetic kind in the morning to shower with.

There are a few kinks to work out but nothing that warrants giving them less than 5 stars. Breakfast was a bit confusing and the entire order was taken on a computer that was then put onto our room for which we had overages beyond the $20 voucher. The reason it was a problem was because I was unable to tip on a possible bill so I don't even know if gratuity was included. Also, the toilets don't seem like they were newly installed, ours was the old style that you had to hold down the handle for 10 - 15 seconds to ensure it worked, not like the newer styles that look like a F-5 tornado going down.

I posted a bunch of pictures but could have easily taken 30 more. The lobby and food areas are downright gorgeous. They offer numerous healthy snacks that can easily be added to your room charges, from kale chips to organic beef jerky. There was even a make it yourself orange juice machine in the same lobby area but was kind of ruined for me by the amount of fruit flies around it so that should be addressed as well.

If you're in the Norwalk area or visiting NYC and don't mind paying to drive in or take the train, this is the perfect hotel for you at a wonderful price point. Apparently, they are building a handful more in Manhattan which I'm sure will be a big hit. Please keep your room prices low and I'm sure we'll be staying here very often.

Room Tip: They are a pet friendly hotel as well in case you are travelling with Fido!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
JDMEGARG,

Thank you for your detailed review and feedback during your visit from Boston, receiving such praise from a Senior Reviewer at our new property is a honor. We are pleased we can be your home away from home in the area when you visit your relatives and that you were able to experience our best in class Athletic Studio during your time with us. EVEN Hotels forever erases the stigma that a broom closet with a few machines suffices as an area to workout in while on the road. Our best in class Athletic Studio includes 4 Woodway treadmills, 6 LifeCycle spin bikes, 5 Cybex machines, TRX, ample free weights, chilled cold towels and much more to help enable wellness while traveling. Detailed reviews and suggestions such as yours are not only immensely appreciated but also immediately acted upon as we have done with each of your great pieces of feedback. Our entire team of passionate hoteliers are committed to providing personable customer service excellence at an economical price and we hope to see you in the very near future!

Long Island, NY, United States
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here last weekend, very soon after the hotel opened. It emphasizes fitness and health, with exercise equipment right in the rooms and a wide range of healthy snack choices in the shop. I loved the water available in the lobby, infused with fruit and herb combinations like strawberry-mint and orange-basil - I might return again just for the water! The saff were friendly and helpful. The stairs had a very light and airy feel, not dark and scary as you find in many places, so it was a lot more palatable to make the healthy choice of stairs versus the elevator. The room was very comfortable, nicely decorated. The bath towels were super soft, and the soap much better than the average hotel soap. The only think I didn't love was the translucent bathroom door - when my husband got up in the middle of the night, the light shone through the door right in my face. Other than that, we had a great stay and plan to return in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elisa H
Elisa H,

Thank you for allowing us to inspire you with our various wellness amenities and guest experience during your visit from Long Island! I will be sure to share your praise to our entire team of passionate hoteliers who will be pleased to hear they made your experience a memorable one. We are elated to hear you will be joining us again in the future so that we can earn that fifth circle we demand from ourselves. Thank you once again for your review!

PADOVA
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Either you are a wellness/fitness fanatic or just a tired traveller who badly needs a long stretching session as soon in the hotel in the evening...this is your place!! The whole hotel has been developed with your fitness wellness relax in mind. From the color of the walls and furniture and contemporary decor to the many gym/stretching tools in every room, every thing has your well being in mind. Not to mention the healthy choices for breakfast and the nice reception that looks more like your work desk , no high counter or similar. Smiling and helpful staff, decent price (so far, let's see in the future...) complete the features. Definitely a new smart idea.

2 Thank KITER57
Dieter S, Chief Wellness Officer/ General Manager at EVEN Hotel Norwalk, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
KITER57,

Thank you for your review and for joining us during your travels from Padova, receiving such praise from a Top Contributor is a great honor! Rest assured our commitment to offering a genuinely personable guest experience paired with our best in class wellness amenities at an economically refreshing value will never be compromised. Thank you once again for being our valued guest here at EVEN Hotel Norwalk and for your review!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Fun fact... there are no odd numbered room numbers.

The hotel is brand new, smells brand new. When you walk in there is a very clean fresh scent. Interesting flavored waters in the lobby and the lobby chairs all have a small shelf to hold your food/drink.
On every floor there is a filtered water/ice machine and the cup size is generous.
Staff... all staff are very friendly and outgoing. When I would leave for the day, I was sent off like a friend. When I returned at night, greeted like I'd been away for weeks.
It was very nice to leave and return to that sort of friendly atmosphere.

This hotel is different in that it's focused on health and wellbeing. In my room there was a yoga mat, exercise bands and pilates blocks. (Not that I worked out, but it was nice to have the gear right in the room).

Hotel was extremely clean. My room was very spacious.

This location only opened very recently, so there are many things which I've suggested to management which I found out are either under discussion or on their way.

Right now, there is no coffee in the room. To get coffee, one has to go to the lobby, and it's not complimentary. For me, it's inconvenient to have to get dressed, go downstairs to get coffee and then I go back to my room. Breakfast is *not* included in the rack rate. The food options look interesting, but I don't need fancy breakfast. There is a mini fridge in the room so I was able to have fruit and muffins for my breakfasts.

Found out a directory (local restaurants, amenities, etc) is in the process of being printed.

As I was here for business (2 weeks), I found it curious that there was no dresser. The closet is smallish. There is a "shelf" which I ended up using, but honestly it felt weird to have my t-shirts and socks out in the open like that.

1 Thank aabrams
aabrams,

Thank you for being a Senior Contributor and for choosing the brand new EVEN Hotel Norwalk during your two week visit on business from Brooklyn. As a collective team we aim to provide a uniquely personable guest experience matching our wellness amenities that creates a refreshing escape from the mundane cookie cutter norm. We truly understand how grinding business travel can be and we take great pride in providing an amicable home away from home that enables you to stay on track. We are elated to read you felt this genuine appreciation to be your host from our talented team members. Additionally I will pass along your praise to our housekeeping team who holds itself to the utmost levels of room cleanliness standards. Thank you as well for your great suggestions both in your review and during your time with us. As a new property and brand we will tirelessly seek solutions that can make our guest experience as legendary as possible and a key factor to enable us to do so is the feedback from our valued guests. On behalf of our entire team here at EVEN Hotel Norwalk we thank you once again for your detailed feedback and look forward to your return!

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed there the other night. Got in town for family reunion and decided to check it out. Different but great. Very clean place, convenient location. Awesome gym, great bar area with healthy yet tasty food. Very friendly and helpful staff. I really recommend it...
Pat

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Patryk Ż
Dieter S, Chief Wellness Officer/ General Manager at EVEN Hotel Norwalk, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Patryk Ż,

Thank you for your review and for choosing the brand new EVEN Hotel Norwalk! I am delighted to read our personable staff and wellness offerings such as our restaurant Cork & Kale made for an excellent experience during your time with us. We are honored to provide a refreshing deviation from the robotic cookie cutter norm that many have come to sadly accept in their travels. We hope to see you in the very near future and thank you once again for your review!

Dieter Schmitz
NLR
Reviewed 22 June 2014

EVEN Wellness NORWALK,CT is the First Hotel for the NEW EVEN IHG BRAND.

The EVEN Hotel General Manager Mr Dieter Schmitz Welcomed and greeted very well,
and also very Patiently showed the Hotel.

1) Mini Gym and Yogamat in Room
2) EO Bath Products
3) Fresh Juice Maker in the Hotel Lobby
4) waterrower performance monitor in the Gym
5) White board for Students and Business Professional in Room
6) Free Purified Water all over the Hotel.
7) The Idea of this Wellness hotel is "100% Fit and active during the Stay"
8) Welcome Freshess Hotel During Checkin and also at Gym

I will recommend this hotel to Everybody without any Doubt.

Room Tip: Try the New Brand
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jaysap
Dieter S, Cheif Wellness Officer/ General Manager at EVEN Hotel Norwalk, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
jaysap,

Receiving such positive feedback from a Senior Reviewer such as yourself is an honor for our entire team and we thank you for your review! Our simple goal at EVEN Hotel Norwalk is to provide our valued guests with the means to stay on track while on the road via our groundbreaking wellness amenities and personable guest experience. I am elated we succeeded in doing so during your time with us. Wellness provided right is not a quick fix or single add on amenity and our brand was built from the ground up around enabling wellness in travel in every facet of the guest experience. It was a pleasure to meet you upon your arrival and I had a blast showing you our water rower, which is my favorite workout, in our best in class Athletic Studio. As a collective team we eagerly await your return in what we hope is in the very near future!

Chief Wellness Officer/ General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwalk
Hotel Zero Degrees Norwalk
Hilton Garden Inn Norwalk
Courtyard Norwalk
Courtyard Norwalk
#2 of 12 in Norwalk
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norwalk
Delamar Greenwich Harbor Hotel
Norwalk Inn & Conference Center

Been to EVEN Hotel Norwalk? Share your experiences!