“Pleasant Weekend”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Norwich
Boston, Massachusetts
“Pleasant Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

I just returned from a weekend at the Spa at Norwich Inn. When booking I found rates online significantly cheaper than the rates published on their website so I definitely recommend shopping around for the best price on a room there. We stayed in a "villa," which was really a one bedroom condo-type unit with a kitchenette, living room, and balcony. The room was huge, spotlessly clean and the bed was extremely comfortable, but it was not luxurious--no fluffy robes, high-end bath products or upgraded linens. It was on par with a good three star hotel, which was perfectly acceptable to us. The spa, although not as up-to-date as others I've been to, was impeccably clean, had a vast selection of services, plentiful appointments, and a lovely, peaceful setting. The staff from check-in, to servers, to spa personnel were friendly and went out of their way to deliver exceptional service. It's proximity to Mohegan Sun makes it a great choice if you don't want to pay Mohegan's hotel rates, but want to be close to the casino action/restaurants.

Room Tip: All gratuities for wait staff and spa personnel are automatically added to your bill.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank IrishDawn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

We stayed here for a concert at Mohegan Sun. Rooms at the casino are nearly double the price of the Inn at Norwich, a short 5 minute taxi will take you to the casino, I couldn't justify the cost of staying at the casino. 3rd floor room was nice and spacious, could use a bit of updating, overall, the cost fit the amenities. Bathroom was updated to modern standards. Called front desk several times, always prompt and courteous.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

We had the most wonderful time at the Spa at Norwich Inn. I was treated like royalty the whole time. My Mom, best friend and I went to celebrate milestone birthdays with a girl’s weekend away. We had the Country Retreat package which includes the night in a villa, breakfast and a 3 course dinner. The grounds including an indoor pool, two outdoor pools, Jacuzzi and beautiful grounds were ours for the two days we were there. The food was out of this world. Presentation and quality of food was outstanding. The choices were extensive and after looking around the room at the happy customers and beautiful plates, it was safe to say that everyone around us enjoyed their meals. The services were so relaxing. I had a Swedish massage with Victor and couldn’t be more pleased. From the time we checked in, to the time we checked out, we only encountered pleasant and accommodating staff. I could not say enough about this spa. Best part was spending the day (including lunch) in my bathrobe!

Room Tip: The villas were wonderful, fridge, stove, microwave, coffee maker, two queen beds. Very comfortable...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

Spent a "girls weekend" at the Spa. The main building has the feel of a stately English Manor - complete with white shutters and vine climbing the brick. There is a lovely patio terrace for outdorr dining or just for a cocktail al fresco and quick bite. Spa services are amazing. The only "downfall" (and not to do with the Spa itself) is the town of Norwich doesn't have much going on or to do. But, Foxwoods Casino is about 15 mins away, and Mohegan is about a 5 min drive. The Spa does not have shuttle service to the Casinos, but the concierge will arrange a pick-up upon request of the Foxwoods shuttle. If gambling isn't your thing, Downtown Mystic Seaport, the Aquarium, and Olde Mistick Village (shopping) is a short drive away.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

My gentleman friend and I stayed at the spa and inn on July 5th. It was our 3rd stay there together. I take my daughter's up there as I live about 1 1/2 away. It is truly the best spa on the East Coast, and I rate it with SpaFinder as my favorite because I can go there so easily. It is the perfect combination of old world charm and gambling glitz. Although it is owned by the Pequots who own Foxwood's, it is 1 mile from Mohegan Sun. We usually go there and totally relax during the day. Then go over to Mohegan Sun to play some Black Jack and Slots and eat at Michael Jordan's. When we return to the Inn, it is just so peaceful and charming and comfortable.

I will tell you it is not perfect though. The facility itself is perfect, but it is not maintained properly and the staff DOES NOT GET IT. I would either send them to Marriott or Ritz Carlton training school or I would fire them all. There are a few new ones that are great but the problem is they just don't understand service and attention to detail. The gardens are so beautiful yet they are so unkept it is ridiculous. It's still pretty mind you, but with a bit of weeding and pruning it could be spectacular. We staying in the Veranda Suite which has such a view it is amazing. But when we checked out the veranda there was a cigar butt in one of the potted plants (which have no flowers in them). Everything at this place has amazing potential. I don't know whether is it just a low priority to the big casino operator or what, but it just makes not sense. This place is so special, I wish someone who cared to make it the grand lady it should be would take charge of it. In the meantime, I'll keep coming as long as I live in CT.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house only, not the suites
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Norwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

My husband and I actually got married here so we spent the night before our wedding and the night of our wedding in the garden suite. It was fabulous. Even though we only live a few minutes away, we felt like we were transported to a ritzy resort area hours and hours away from home. The staff does a great job of taking care of everything and making sure you have an enjoyable stay. The room itself was HUGE and very clean. The amenities were awesome, too, including the nice pool, afternoon tea and scones, and spa areas. A definite must-visit.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
new haven, ct
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

I had heard of this place for years and the "Norwich" always turned me off - for some reason I thought it was in downtown Norwich which is like calling it the Spa at (choose any unredeemed past-its-prime mill town and insert here). However, when I was at the Lodge at Woodloch in PA in April someone asked why I would go all the way to the Poconos when
"you have spas near you like Norwich." I figured if it was known in the Poconos I might as well check it out - it's only an hour away and is usually voted Best Spa in CT (but remember we re the third smallest state). I read up on Trip Advisor and was surprised to see it was the No. 2 (of 5!) hotels in Norwich. but most reviews were good so I went fr the overnight package.

I have no other destination spa to compare it to except Woodloch and in most ways the PA property is superior - newer, bigger, with many more fitness classes to choose from, plus other activities. and more food, at a slightly lower cost. But Norwich does hold a candle to it and it is much more convenient for those of us on this side of Manhattan.

As for the cons. most are minor. Tea and scones are lovely in the afternoon on the terrace but nets are needed as nothing spoils one's appetite more than a fly on the food. Cigarette butts and broken beer bottles dot the medians in the parking lot - don't know why. A surcharge is added for two bottles of water, valet, etc., but I never saw the valet coming nor going. The room I had was small and plain, although spotless. Windows are in keeping with the historical building (evidently visited by Sinatra ans GB Shaw in its first heydey) but that means they are not big picture windows so although the hotel boasts of beautiful views from every room they are not always easy to see. There is a bit of wear and tear in the spa area noticeably in small things such as a bit of chipped drywall/mold over the whirlpool or faded depth tiles or grout problems, but nothing resembling what a reviewer said about the pool being old and dirty. Service in the restaurant was slow and I never received the complementary taste of the night, although I did accidentally receive a bill! I agree with another reviewer that the breakfast is probably better if you order off the menu.

The pros are many. I felt the spa services were very good (I tried unique ones and they were different which made it interesting) and the place is very clean and tstaff attentive. The place is quiet even when crowded. The aforementioned tea/scones are complimentary and tasty and a wine tasting is also offered each afternoon, also complimentary. The dinner was world-class in quality, and the view from the terrace bucolic. The history of the place is evident and the chandeliers and gallery are quite nice. Last but not least, the house shampoo and conditioner were so good I actually bought large versions to take home - and that's saying something.

I was unaware until I read something in the room that the Mashantucket Pequots bought the place in '94 which explains why the water says "Foxwoods" and why they have a bus to Foxwoods when Mohegan Sun is visible from the neighboring property on the morning fitness walk. With their spectacular museum and casino I am sort of surprised that the Spa isn't more impressive - more marble, greenery, flowers, small soothing fountains, bigger treatment rooms, more than one fitness room, waterfalls, gardens. But for what it is, it's fine. Let's face it, a spa that's less than spectacular is still a spa and that's a good thing.

Room Tip: I would recommend the hotel over the villas - more convenient to spa
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank sullific
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
#1 of 4 in Mashantucket
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,384 reviews
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Uncasville

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!