“Spa at Norwich Inn Awesome!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Spa at Norwich Inn

The Spa at Norwich Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Norwich
Commack, New York
“Spa at Norwich Inn Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Fabulous place for a relaxing long weekend or just an overnight. Facilities are impeccable. Spa services are well diversified and executed by an outstanding staff, real pros. Excellent dining choices. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Several girlfriends and I who don't see each other as often as we would like were excited to spend an overnight at The Spa at Norwich Inn. I had head great things about the property over the years, and it appeared to be exactly what we were looking for - a quiet, relaxing venue for busy friends to both have a little pampering and a little social time.

Well, appearances are not always what they seem on websites and in reviews. While the spa facilities were all of nice enough quality, I have never seen such crowds in in a spa in my life. Another reviewer referred to the women's locker room as "Grand Central Station", which is completely accurate. On top of that, while the end result of my treatments were all fine (fancy mani and pedi, some waxing), I didn't not feel as though much was done to enhance the overall "experience" portion of the services. The pedi chair was uncomfortable, the waxing was randomly done in a corner of the boutique - very public (lip and eyebrow....I assume a bikini wax would be more private!). So while the treatments were "fine", they seemed a bit overpriced given the more "utilitarian" nature of them.

Worse than the spa (which honestly may be way nicer mid-week), was our "villa". We stayed in villa 811. The rusted bottom of the front door made me pause before entering, but I quickly forgot it when assaulted with the strong vaguely moldy odor in the air. The unit was dated and threadbare, with a tiny cramped bathroom and crumbling fixtures. Three of us were sharing the unit, and the one who wound up sleeping on the pull out sofa in the "living room" area reported that the room was very, very cold (and continued to smell sour/moldy all night). If I had booked a Super 8 Motel I could overlook much of this. After all, the room was clean, it felt safe enough, etc. But "luxury spa" lodging, this was not.

We had Saturday lunch and Sunday brunch at Kensington's restaurant and both were adequate but nothing special.

Overall, it's not that The Spa at Norwich Inn is a terrible place overall - the staff was generally helpful and friendly and for all I know the rooms in the main inn may be fantastic. But given the cost, one can do so much better. I realize that it's a different kind of experience, but I have been to the spa at the MGM Grand at Foxwoods (just down the road) several times, and it is a far nicer experience. If a friend asked me for a good overnight spa destination within a couple of hours of Boston or NY, I can think of five places I would recommend over this property.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Villa 811!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

This was my first trip back after 7 years. I used to come to Norwich Spa for girl's weekend when my kids were young. It was a quiet oasis for me to have some time to myself without demands of my family. The spa was very quiet with only guests who we're getting treatments or staying at the hotel.

This weekend I came with my 25 year old daughter to show her where I used to go and to have a mother/daughter bonding weekend. We booked a nice villa, multiple treatments each and a nice dinner.

We were completely shocked to see hundreds of people at their spa. They had bus loads of people using the spa facility. The spa had 20+ treating rooms, so clearly most of those people weren't there to get spa treatments. The locker room was like grand central. People were speaking loudly at the jacuzzi, waiting room, bar. I over heard some people said they were bused there from another hotel to use the spa facility. I asked some people who worked there if the place was always that busy. They said most of the time.

If you are looking for a relaxing spa weekend, this wouldn't be the place for you. It is worst than an Embasssy Suite with an indoor pool in MN. It is a shame the management has turned this once a wonderful low key spa into a 3rd rate gym facility with spa services.

Our room was nice and clean. The food here is still wonderful and my treatments were fine.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mexico888
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Having seen the reviews, I guess I was a bit disappointed because of all the amazing things people said. I think if you're going for the all in one spa/hotel experience, you'll like it. As someone else said, it really is a spa with an inn, not vice versa. One thing to note that I wasn't expecting is that there are people in robes with slipper/flip-flops everywhere--not just in the spa--in the lobby, in the restaurants (just not at dinner when they enforce you must be fully clothed).

My friend and I went for a moms getaway and enjoyed ourselves. The staff is pretty friendly and helpful. The room was a bit dated, although clean and the bathroom seemed pretty new and was huge. The rooms seem a bit pricey, but it worked out well for us since the country suite had a sleeper sofa so we each had our own bed. The food was good, not great. We had dinner at the pub. It is only 7 tables, but there was no problem getting one on a Saturday night. The breakfast buffet didn't look great so we ordered off the menu and it was better than dinner, although it's pretty hard to mess up breakfast. I had the relaxation ritual with Lois and my friend had a facial and we both really enjoyed it. I'd prefer to be outdoors if the weather is nice, so I think we'll return in the dead of winter because the spa is nice and toasty. We'd probably go mid-week so we can get a better deal on a room and a spa package. This time we just did one treatment each so I don't think we immersed ourselves in the relation as much as we should have.

One other thing we learned is that the shuttle to the casino goes to Foxwoods (owned by the same company) and only goes there at 7:30p and comes back at 12:30p. Mohegan Sun is only a few minute drive and were told about a $12 cab ride.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank copacabanagirl
West Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

For my wife's birthday, I decided on a spa weekend at The Norwich Inn. I set up a package, inclusive of a villa with King Bed. The Villa was a huge letdown. Broken heat, tremendously worn, absolutley not up to standard -- and disappointingly so. However, kudos to the front desk. We were immediately placed in a small King Suite in the Inn and it was beautiful.

We had a light snack at The Ascot Pub, which was great. We had a late stone massage and both were very good. But again, the spa is worn. Wife said the woman's lockers were fine, but the Men's locker room was not. The garbage can was overflowing with water cups. The area with tea selection, apples, and such was a mess. Discarded tea bags on the table the entire time, about 2 hours. There are also maintenece issues. A toilet only partially flushed, completely corroded light fixtures in the steamroom. Just not up to the premium price of this historic place.

Perhaps the saddest aspect is the staff works hard, hustles, and is professional. Makes one wonder about the basic training of entry level people. Seriously, i saw the young locker room attendant, courteous and friendly, walk by the full garbage can, full towel can and a sink with a disgarded disposable razor and plastic shield five times.

Breakfast on Sunday was very nice. Tremendous courtesy, hustling staff, but I had to ask the hostess if I could have a bowl for cereal/yogurt section of the buffett. And as we left, I noticed the same section bowlless again.

I can only sigh and recall much better past experiences. If you get a groupon, have at it. But for a premium rate, i expect and the guests deserve better.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Katonah, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Couldn't help but think of the movie White Christmas when we drove up. Snow all around and a beautiful country inn with a fire going in the Pub fireplace. We booked the Spa Package which included an overnight stay and two fitness classes and two spa treatments. The room was pristine clean and fresh smelling and looked out onto trees covered in snow. The towels were folded like origami (how'd they do that), the robes were soft and comfortable. The Vitamin wrap and Signature facial were just what I needed to slough away the winter we've been having. Complimentary scones and tea (how very Agatha Christie) - and wine and cheese - in a spacious floor to ceiling windowed conservatory was the perfect ambiance to make you forget the daily grind and feel like you deserve this and why don't you do this more often.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank marilyn S
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed here for a romantic getaway on the 15th and 16th of February. We drove into a snow storm so it was a little tricky getting in with cars sliding around and getting stuck. The staff here is amazing and the food is top notch. Get the pancakes people, you won't regret it. The lobster roll was amazing according to my girlfriend. The spa itself has a ton of amenities and is not far from Foxwoods or Mohegun Sun if you like to gamble. The room could be a bit nicer, but would gladly come back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
#1 of 4 in Mashantucket
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,370 reviews
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Uncasville

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!