“Nice One-Night Stay”

The Spa at Norwich Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We normally don't go to spas but where given a gift certificate for a room and some treatments.
The hotel itself was bigger than I was expecting. They have 50, or so, rooms, plus a bunch of Villas. We were given a Country King room in the main hotel and thought it was very nice. It had a large walk-through bathroom and separate living room area. The bed had a pretty good pillow top mattress, the blankets were of high quality, and there were many pillow options to pick from.
We checked in late, and grabbed a quick bite as Ascots Pub, right off of the lobby. This place only seats about 20, and is more casual than the other restaurant, Kensington's. It was pretty busy and service was attentive but slow, as expected due to the number of guests. It was our fault for showing up right before closing time. Istvan was a great server/bartender, very friendly, and made great drinks. I had NY Strip and my wife had risotto. My steak was a slightly tough, but good quality and flavor. My Wife's dish looked great, tons of lobster. Gnocchi is hard to make well, and I would give the appetizer an Above Average grade.
The next morning we both had massages and a treatment. The facility itself was very nice and offered many amenities for guests. The locker rooms were clean and well appointed. After our session we grabbed a drink at the small bar they have in the spa, great bloody mary!
I requested a late check-out and it was granted no problem, we loaded up the car and went back to Ascots for lunch. We both had the Turkey Wrap and agreed that it was very good and loaded with turkey. The side of cucumber salad had an Asian flavor to it, and was bad example of what a cucumber kimchi can be.
So my only suggestion/complaint, even though it is a very minor one, would be to re-think the cucumber salad. It would be very easy to make it better, even if they just added some bottled sweet-chili sauce.
Tip: There are countless fees/surcharges at this place. It's owned by Foxwoods, so that is not surprising. We always tip 20%, and this place automatically adds 19%. Included gratuities are fine, but there are too many other fees to keep track of. Our room charge was included in the gift, so I’m not sure how much it was. The food is priced as expected, slightly high, but reasonable for the quality.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main hotel seemed more convenient than getting a ride to a Villa from the security guar...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MATTfromCT

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Man, it was overcrowded. The spa was too loud and too bustling. I wanted to escape crowds and I was in a sea of women in the locker room.
I arrived, no valet to help w the bags. The check in was quick and the room standard , as previously experienced, small but clean.
There used to be a wine tasting where a sommelier taught about different wines. This was a poor substitute.
My foot massage was a waste of time. The therapist stated she couldn't work deep due to her pregnancy .Chatted the entire time. My massage was 50 minutes, a signature. I found it choppy and disjointed and while the therapist was someone I have used before, it was not satisfying. I typically have an hour massage at home and the experience ce is on another plateau .
The biggest issue for me and my friend was the shower heads. They were replaced sine I last visited and they hurt the water came out like it was stinging and the head could not be moved.
I will try a new venue next time..

Room Tip: The Inn is much nicer than the villas.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was my first experience at this spa and I was very impressed with the setting, staff, food, and value of the "Quick Fix". I would highly recommend this spa and intend to bring my daughters next visit. Would make a wonderful Mother's Day tradition.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank FrancescaMaria416
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Fabulous place for a relaxing long weekend or just an overnight. Facilities are impeccable. Spa services are well diversified and executed by an outstanding staff, real pros. Excellent dining choices. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Several girlfriends and I who don't see each other as often as we would like were excited to spend an overnight at The Spa at Norwich Inn. I had head great things about the property over the years, and it appeared to be exactly what we were looking for - a quiet, relaxing venue for busy friends to both have a little pampering and a little social time.

Well, appearances are not always what they seem on websites and in reviews. While the spa facilities were all of nice enough quality, I have never seen such crowds in in a spa in my life. Another reviewer referred to the women's locker room as "Grand Central Station", which is completely accurate. On top of that, while the end result of my treatments were all fine (fancy mani and pedi, some waxing), I didn't not feel as though much was done to enhance the overall "experience" portion of the services. The pedi chair was uncomfortable, the waxing was randomly done in a corner of the boutique - very public (lip and eyebrow....I assume a bikini wax would be more private!). So while the treatments were "fine", they seemed a bit overpriced given the more "utilitarian" nature of them.

Worse than the spa (which honestly may be way nicer mid-week), was our "villa". We stayed in villa 811. The rusted bottom of the front door made me pause before entering, but I quickly forgot it when assaulted with the strong vaguely moldy odor in the air. The unit was dated and threadbare, with a tiny cramped bathroom and crumbling fixtures. Three of us were sharing the unit, and the one who wound up sleeping on the pull out sofa in the "living room" area reported that the room was very, very cold (and continued to smell sour/moldy all night). If I had booked a Super 8 Motel I could overlook much of this. After all, the room was clean, it felt safe enough, etc. But "luxury spa" lodging, this was not.

We had Saturday lunch and Sunday brunch at Kensington's restaurant and both were adequate but nothing special.

Overall, it's not that The Spa at Norwich Inn is a terrible place overall - the staff was generally helpful and friendly and for all I know the rooms in the main inn may be fantastic. But given the cost, one can do so much better. I realize that it's a different kind of experience, but I have been to the spa at the MGM Grand at Foxwoods (just down the road) several times, and it is a far nicer experience. If a friend asked me for a good overnight spa destination within a couple of hours of Boston or NY, I can think of five places I would recommend over this property.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Villa 811!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was my first trip back after 7 years. I used to come to Norwich Spa for girl's weekend when my kids were young. It was a quiet oasis for me to have some time to myself without demands of my family. The spa was very quiet with only guests who we're getting treatments or staying at the hotel.

This weekend I came with my 25 year old daughter to show her where I used to go and to have a mother/daughter bonding weekend. We booked a nice villa, multiple treatments each and a nice dinner.

We were completely shocked to see hundreds of people at their spa. They had bus loads of people using the spa facility. The spa had 20+ treating rooms, so clearly most of those people weren't there to get spa treatments. The locker room was like grand central. People were speaking loudly at the jacuzzi, waiting room, bar. I over heard some people said they were bused there from another hotel to use the spa facility. I asked some people who worked there if the place was always that busy. They said most of the time.

If you are looking for a relaxing spa weekend, this wouldn't be the place for you. It is worst than an Embasssy Suite with an indoor pool in MN. It is a shame the management has turned this once a wonderful low key spa into a 3rd rate gym facility with spa services.

Our room was nice and clean. The food here is still wonderful and my treatments were fine.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mexico888
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Having seen the reviews, I guess I was a bit disappointed because of all the amazing things people said. I think if you're going for the all in one spa/hotel experience, you'll like it. As someone else said, it really is a spa with an inn, not vice versa. One thing to note that I wasn't expecting is that there are people in robes with slipper/flip-flops everywhere--not just in the spa--in the lobby, in the restaurants (just not at dinner when they enforce you must be fully clothed).

My friend and I went for a moms getaway and enjoyed ourselves. The staff is pretty friendly and helpful. The room was a bit dated, although clean and the bathroom seemed pretty new and was huge. The rooms seem a bit pricey, but it worked out well for us since the country suite had a sleeper sofa so we each had our own bed. The food was good, not great. We had dinner at the pub. It is only 7 tables, but there was no problem getting one on a Saturday night. The breakfast buffet didn't look great so we ordered off the menu and it was better than dinner, although it's pretty hard to mess up breakfast. I had the relaxation ritual with Lois and my friend had a facial and we both really enjoyed it. I'd prefer to be outdoors if the weather is nice, so I think we'll return in the dead of winter because the spa is nice and toasty. We'd probably go mid-week so we can get a better deal on a room and a spa package. This time we just did one treatment each so I don't think we immersed ourselves in the relation as much as we should have.

One other thing we learned is that the shuttle to the casino goes to Foxwoods (owned by the same company) and only goes there at 7:30p and comes back at 12:30p. Mohegan Sun is only a few minute drive and were told about a $12 cab ride.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank copacabanagirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Mohegan Sun
20 mi away
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
#1 of 7 in Old Saybrook

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!