“Worst, Dirtiest Place Ever! Watch Out For Bed Bugs!”

The Spa at Norwich Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I will keep this short....power outage for 12 hours...bed bugs...gross....will never go here again and had to toss all of my clothes...avoid at all costs...or bring your own sheets.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mm1jle
Wegbat, General Manager at The Spa at Norwich Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2010

We did experience a general power outage at 2.00am on 8-20-10. Power was restored at 2.00pm that same day.

In consideration of the inconvenience to our guests, we provided complimentary breakfast, and extended an invitation to return for a free overnight stay; however, there were no complaints about bugs,

John O'Shaughnessy

Reviewed 6 October 2010

I have been to The Spa at Norwich Inn 16 or 17 times, mostly with one of my best friends from college. We return because we know what the spa does well and what works for us. The location is great because I come from the Boston area (1 1/2 hour drive) and she can take the train from NYC.

The staff are fantastic - friendly, accommodating, helpful. We know several by name and greet each other like old friends everytime we arrive.

The best features of the Spa and Inn are the massages, the facials, the exercise classes, and the convenience of staying at the Inn so you can meander in your robe all day if desired.

The food varies, and the vegetarian options for dinner this time around were an embarrassment to the chef. In fact, with the exception of breakfast, vegetarian offerings leave much to be desired. Other food offerings were fine. Vegetarian soup was good. We often like to make a dinner of three appetizers.

The inn is adequate. We get a room with 2 double beds, of which there are only 6 at the inn. Hard to get the temperature comfortable, so we go with a little too cold for better sleeping than too warm. The room was clean and well cared for during our stay.

To avoid: pedicures, manicures are overpriced and in the past haven't lasted that long.

Lastly, sometimes the management gets caught up in the rules too much for fear of someone bilking them on the packages they offer. We had a package which included a three-course dinner, but had to change it because they insisted that one of the courses be a dessert. We were there to eat healthy, and not interested in dessert. They were inflexible, fearing that the world would order endless lobster appetizers and they'd lose money. Get with the picture, and see the forest through the trees! If you had that many people ordering lobster appetizers on a package deal, the inn would be full and you'd be raking it in on everything else!

The staff were wonderful about the issue, however, and we were able to switch out of the package and order whatever we wanted for dinner. In the end, the cost was comparable so not great loss.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2010

Whether staying at the Norwich Inn or not, you must make it a point to visit the Spa at Norwich Inn. Every time I'm in CT, I make sure my trip includes a day or two at the Spa. Every service is better than the next and each technician outdoes the former. The Spa is located on the backside of the Norwich Inn in its own tranquil seclusion. Come early and stay late. With a fitness room, pools (indoor and outdoor during the summer months), sundecks, relaxation room, and all the amenities you come to expect (sauna, steam, hot tub...), as well as various activities throughout the say including an afternoon tea and wine tasting, you will not want to leave! Trust me, you can't go wrong!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2010

I've stayed for one night at bungalow on my way home from Mohegan Sun casino. Was thinking just to stay for a night but after morning walk around the property decided to stay for the whole day for spa service. It was smart decision. The spa is great and people are just fantastic. Hotel stuff is very friendly and helpful too. Will definitely come back soon with my wife for spa and golf weekend.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Went for a Spa Weekend with my S-I-L, the first time we have done so.

Firstly, I must say that everyone associated with this place must have been sprinkled with "wonderful" dust - friendly, service-oriented, couldn't do more staff everywhere without exception.

Secondly, I must also say that this is an expensive sojourn; even with the weekend package, everything is an add-on except for tea & scones in the afternoon. Nonetheless, S-I-L and I intend to make this an annual event. There was a wedding on the day we arrived, so we were "relegated" to a villa, which was the last remaining vacancy; apart from being some distance from the main house, this "relegation" was fine - a one bedroom apartment with a kitchen, living room, bedroom and a deck. The bathroom was far from luxurious, but the shower was great and the beds, although also not luxurious, provided a good night's sleep. There were TVs in the living room and bedroom, neither of which were up-to-date flat screen, but that didn't bother us either. The villas are far from the main house, but a simple phone call had Fred or Robert driving over to pick us up, and drop us off.

We signed up for two water-aerobics classes each; I was sorry the belly dancing class was at the same time, because that looked like FUN! I opted for aromatherapy (which is not a massage, but lymphatic drainage) and a pedicure, both of which were so delightful as to be decadent; S-I-L opted for hot stone massage and felt similarly about her treatment. There is a "juice bar" at the spa for light fare, such as frozen yogurt, salads, wraps, etc.

We ate a first class dinner in Kensington's restaurant, which was accompanied by Pat on the piano who sang standards - most enjoyable. Prices were comparable to any nice restaurant. The breakfast buffet the next morning was likewise very classy.

The weekend package includes a credit toward spa treatments (sufficient to cover one treatment really) and a food credit (which could cover dinner if you don't drink). However, all spa treatments/classes have gratuities and service charges added (no problem there) but the gratuities and service charges are then taxed. If your package is listed as $300, expect your bill to run $400, each. The clientele runs the gamut from young to old, couples and mommy groups, a lot of pregnant women with and without spouses, most of whom were friendly folk. One exception only, a woman who threatened to get everyone fired. There's always one:(

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank businesstraveler450
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Spent a couple of days visiting the spa with my sister. We did a spa overnight package and stayed in a villa. I highly recommend the villas, they are spacious, clean and private. The spa was amazing and we had the best messages and facials ever! Everyone was helpful and friendly. The grounds are beautiful, take time to wander around them.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 May 2010

The services, and personnel at The Norwich Inn and Spa are terrific. You feel most welcome from the intial contact to the checkout. The rooms in the Villas are a little outdated compaired to those in the main building; but they are larger and have kitchen and a sitting area. (If you don't enjoy very firm pillows bring your own.)

The main facility is pleasantly appointed and the Spa is "first rate". The massages and facials are wonderful. The excercise instructors adapt to individual needs. There are several dining areas and the food is way above average. Always try the complimentary tea and scones and wine and cheese during the afternoon.
My friends and I are making this an 'annual' birthday treat .
I recommend the Inn without reservation. SWG NYC

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Mohegan Sun
Comfort Suites- Norwich
Hampton Inn Norwich
Hampton Inn Norwich
#1 of 6 in Norwich

Been to The Spa at Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!