“Friendly Staff But Hotel Was Just Okay”

Holiday Inn Norwich
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Norwich
GreenLeadersSilver level
Milton, Vermont
“Friendly Staff But Hotel Was Just Okay”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Let me start off with the good pointers. The beds were pretty comfortable and the room was very spacious. It included a mini fridge and looked as if it had a space for a microwave (we were told every room included a microwave), however there was no microwave in the room. Another good thing was most of the staff was very friendly, which was a plus. They also offer a free shuttle to the casino and back that rotates about every half hour. It was about a 5-7 minute drive and saved us the hassle of driving and trying to park.

Now on to some of the not so nice things...The bathroom was very tiny, and the door swung inward which meant that you almost had to move behind the toilet in order to shut the door when you were in there. Also, the drain in the shower was very rusty and kind of gross looking. I know they had just done a bunch of renovations to the hotel, but I think that the shower drain definitely could have either been redone and updated or used a very, very good cleaning. The sink counter top though was very nice and clean and looks like it had recently been updated.

We only stayed for one night just to see a concert at the Mohegan Sun. But almost immediately after check in we ran into a problem with our room. After having checked in we decided to lay down on the beds for a few minutes since it was a long day of driving and we were tired. After a few minutes we sat up on the edge of the bed just talking and about 10 minutes later out of nowhere, the headboard that was hanging on the wall just fell off onto the bed. It hit my aunt in the shoulder/arm but she was fine. I was just thankful that she wasn't still lying on the bed as if she had been it would have fallen right on top of her head.

I called down to the front desk to see about getting someone to come fix it. I was told that they would send somebody right up. An hour later at 4pm nobody had shown up yet and we were suppose to catch a 4:30pm shuttle to the casino. So I called back down but nobody answered as the phone rang about 30 times. So I decided to go down to the front desk. I spoke with the gentleman that was there and told him that we were told maintenance would be up an hour ago and all he said is he had just arrived and was not aware of the situation. He said he would phone maintenance again. Finally the head of housekeeping Kristy had shown up and had to take an accident report since the board did hit my aunt. She was very nice and kept apologizing. She even called the shuttle driver and asked them to hold the shuttle for us as we may be a minute or two late. I was a little unhappy because I really didn't want a maintenance person in our room while we were gone with all of our stuff there and would have rather been there with him, but it looks like I didn't really have a choice since it was so late. But Kristy informed us that she would make sure the room was fixed by the time we arrived back that night.

When we arrived back the wall was fixed and everything was put back together. The Operations Manager also stopped by and offered us a gift bag full of treats and an apology card for the hassle and disturbance. The gift bag was nice but it would have been nicer if they had offered us free breakfast instead, but I've worked in hotels in the past and understand the way everything works so it wasn't that surprising.

The stay overall was okay, but it probably would not be my first choice when coming back to the area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Brian D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
We did reach out to Ms. Hamilton as soon as we were notified that the head board came off the wall to see if she would like to seek medical attention, which she declined saying it had just grazed her shoulder. Our engineer was currently involved with a immediate part of our renovations so there was a delay in getting up to her room and replacing the headboard. Due to the nature of the incident , the engineer had to replace the entire screw system to provide ample support to the headboard. I later went up to the room with a gift basket and bottled water and a hand written note. We have offered complimentary breakfast as a guest recovery but I thought that a hand written note and gift basket deliveried by a manager was a more personal response in this incident.
We truly offered our most sincere apologies to the guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Averill Park, New York
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This holiday inn is great. Clean, great location, nice restaurant, very helpful and friendly employees. Rooms were very clean and beds were very comfortable. Every one working here said hello and couldn't help you enough to be sure you were well satisfied and happy. The breakfast was excellent and the waitress was wonderful. This is one Holiday Inn that I would book again in a heartbeat. Thank you all for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Brian D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear Jean,
Thank you for your great comments and we are so pleased that you took the time to share your comments with us! We will certainly be sure that all staff members know what a great job they are doing! We hope that you choose to stay with us again soon as we are currently finishing our renovations and are excited to share our fresh new look with our valued guests like yourself!
Warm regards,
Gail Oettinger
Operations Manager
Ewing, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

If you like outdated decor, worn out carpet and empty beer bottles in the elevator, this is ths spot for you. Appears that hotel is under rennovation but the construction workers took over the place. Best part of stay was free shuttle to Mohegan Sun. They had signs all over saying stay impressed while they rennovate. I was not impressed from the start. Doubtful do over for me.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Megan X
Brian D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
We are sincerely apologetic that we were not able to meet your expectations. We are currently under going renovations so as to update the property and provide a fresh, new look for valued customers such as yourself. Unfortunately during any property refresh there are areas of distrubance and trying to minimize them is our first goal. We strive to provide great guest services and go the extra mile to keep your inconveniences limited.
We respect your frustrations and again offer our apologies. We do hope that you would return if you come to the area and then enjoy the benefits of all the hard work involved to bring our property to a fantastic new look!

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Exeter, New Hampshire
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We selected this hotel for the location (close to the casino) and the free shuttle. From the moment we arrived, we had problems, with a couple of exceptions... We arrived early not sure if our room would be ready, however it was. When we got to the room, it was still not cleaned. They offered to move us to a different room and said they would bring new keys right up. After waiting 15 minutes, I went down to the lobby and the lobby clerk was flirting with a cleaning person. They said "oh we were just about to come up".... hummm. They did give us a breakfast coupon for the trouble. The bartender Brenda was awesome - so sweet and helpful. Later that evening when we were getting ready to take the shuttle to the casino (we were going to see a show) there were five policemen in the lobby trying to subdue a disgruntled customer. The kitchen manager asked us to go into the bar and gave us a free drink. There was a lot of construction going on, including on our floor. Indoor swimming pool was accessible but not really that clean due to construction. The water was freezing so we did not swim. The patio area was quite dirty due to being used primarily by smokers. Beds were very comfortable. No blow drier in the room so we had to call down for one. Overall, everyone was nice enough however there was a general feeling of disorganization and lack of management. We paid $280 for one night and it was not even worth half that.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Brian D, Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Thank You for taking the time to inform us of your concerns. We apologize for not meeting all of your expectations. It is unfortunate that one disruptive guest caused so much inconvenience to our valued guest such as yourself. That being said, it also consumed our management's immediate attention to ensure the safety of all our guests. We are currently undergoing some remodeling to our property which will bring a new and fresh look.
East Granby, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 May 2013

My wife brought me here for a birthday trip to the casino. There was a funk to the carpets in the floor we stayed on but the room didn't look to bad at first. It had a fridge which is always a plus and it was in decent shape. As soon as we got there the toilet wouldn't flush. They sent someone up to fix it fairly quickly. The toilet stopped working again in the middle of the night. We found out in the morning that our friends who were also staying there had problems with their toilet as well. They were on a different floor. I'm not sure what is wrong with the plumbing there but it's not the type of problem you want to deal with on a night away. I mentioned it at the front desk when checking out and didn't even get an apology or really even an acknowledge it. Terrible customer service.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Brian D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations. I have spoke with the chief engineer about the plumbing issues so that they may be addressed properly. We have also instructed our shuttle drivers to do periodic floors walks to prevent future hallway disturbances.
We strive to provide great guest experiences and when we fall short we value your comments so that we may correct the issues.
Reviewed 8 April 2013

First of all, when I stay at a hotel, I'm not a guest, I'm a paying customer! This being said, I was a 'guest' at this hotel from Feb. 19-21 as I was moving from Mystic to another location in Connecticut. During the first night at the hotel, my brand new 2013 car was vandalized in the Holiday Inn parking lot. When I discovered the damages, I reported it immediately to the management. The security guard to pictures of the car & we filled in a report. There was over $3,889.39 worth of damages done to my car & Holiday Inn refuses to pay my deductible --- their argument is "you park at your own risk" and they are not liable!! My recommendation is to stay away from this Holiday Inn! You'll be staying at your own peril! Is this a good way to treat your 'guests'?

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank MaMaFee
Brian D, Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
I truly apologize but we cannot be responsible for vehicles. Ahs this could have happened anywhere.
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Spent one night at this hotel and enjoyed our stay. Anna was very pleasant at the front desk and helpful. We asked for a room move and she happily moved us and even gave us drink coupons for having to move. Shuttle driver was great! We used the shuttle to commute to Mohegan. Awesome service that you offer! Loved the pool tables in the lounge and the fact that the bar stayed open until after 1:00 am. Breakfast was good but service wasn't great. Definitely would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013
kwsun12, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thank you Forrett for your review of your recent stay with. We appreciate all the comments that you left, and will make sure that the service in our breakfast restaurant WOWs you the next time you stay with us. Thank you again and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Fairfield Inn & Suites Uncasville
Courtyard Norwich
Courtyard Norwich
#5 of 6 in Norwich

Been to Holiday Inn Norwich? Share your experiences!