“Nightmare check in-Avoid, do not stay here if you like your belongings.”

Holiday Inn Norwich
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Norwich
GreenLeadersSilver level
Salem, Massachusetts
“Nightmare check in-Avoid, do not stay here if you like your belongings.”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We arrived, were told the computers were down,offered a glass of wine or beer and hot baked cookies. Okay, so that makes the wait tolerable, and I'm okay with it. We waited about an hour, then got in the now very long line. The man in line before me was vigorously complaining about his room. He was given another. I checked in, was given room 401. When I got to the room, I saw the same unhappy man. I asked what room he had the problem with and he said 401-the room the front desk had just given me. He wished me luck. I unlocked the door, and Room 401 was obviously in use. There were clothes, food, construction stuff, 2 laptops and a purse. Good thing I'm honest. Good thing the other guy was too. I called the desk, and asked they send a manager up. I waited. I called the desk again, and waited. I called a third time and got disconnected so I went down to desk. At this point I am furious. Assigning the room once, ok, it's a mistake, not a forgivable one, but a mistake. Giving me the room RIGHT AFTER someone else complained about it-NOT COOL. Gail, the manager found us a room and offered to comp us for the room and breakfast. Meanwhile, It's two hours after I arrived here, the relaxing few hours I planned before heading to dinner and a concert were lost, and I'm majorly stressed out. NOT ACCEPTABLE. If I was the person whose room had been given away twice I'd be even more upset. They are lucky they didn't lose everything they have. I now have less than an hour before our shuttle. Also, Gail had to call for facecloths as there are none in the new room. She is very pleasant, and tried to make things right, but it is totally unacceptable to be giving away rooms that already have guests. Not the way to run a hotel. Typically I have good luck with Holiday Inn Express, but obviously Holiday Inn needs some revamping with room assignment and check in process.

Room Tip: Be sure the room isn't assigned to another traveler. And that you will be the only room occupan...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank idlewood4
Brian D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
First of all , we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. As per our conversation, I would like to note that the computer situation was out of our control and unfortunately happened just as we had a rush on arrivals. We sincerely appreciated your patience in this matter. As I stated when we spoke the room was not a guest room that accidentally come up as vacant ready but was an out of order room that was full of our construction workers tools, materials and personal belongings. We are currently training a new front desk staff member as I pointed out and unfortunately a mistake was made in assigning this room. I was currently helping my room inspector to get rooms ready so I not present at the time of the errors. Although you were staying with us over the weekend on a Goverment rate, I gladly comped the room and made every effort to ensure that the rest of your stay was flawless.
Again, we do apoligize that your experience did not start off well but from our conversation at the time of your departure, I felt that we had made good guest recovery on the situation.
Most Sincerely,
Gail Oettinger
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Grafton, New Hampshire
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The room was nice, and clean. Beds were very comfortable and the staff was very friendly. We had breakfast in their restaurant, and it was really very good. The only thing I would change is ask the folks who smoke not to do so right outside of the main entrance. There must be a better spot...
Otherwise, it was very nice. We didn't use the pool or the lounge since we got in late and headed out right after breakfast. I would stay again, for sure!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Brian D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Dear Laurel,
Thank you for your nice comments and we are glad that we were able to provide you with a enjoyable stay. We will be taking your suggestion into review on the smoking area as being a non smoking hotel now we know that many of our guests would perfer not to have any exposure at all. We look froward to you returning to share in our brand new look as we are completeing our renovations!
Warm Regards,
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Another great weekend at the Holiday Inn Norwich!
We planned a getaway, for the weekend, with friends. Holiday Inn Norwich, didn't disappoint. We enjoyed drinks at the sports bar, and then had breakfast the next morning! Outstanding weekend. We used the shuttle to go to the casino, and had a blast!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Brian D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you for staying with us for your special weekend getaway! We are pleased to hear that everything met your expectations and that you enjoyed our new fresh look! We look froward to having you return in the future!
Warm Reagards,
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The carpeting in the room was filthy. The a/c controls did not work - room was freezing and the unit could not be adjusted. We found a cockroach crawling across the floor. There were no luggage racks (we were told they were out being re-strung). We ended up leaving (I wouldn't think of sleeping in this room!). Desk clerk was supposed to issue a refund - he never did. IHG hotels did, however issue the refund.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
We sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We are currently undergoing renovations to our guest rooms, hallways, fitness center, business center, pool, lobby and roof.
We strive to provide great guest services and are confident that upon completion of our renovations our valued guests will be pleased with the results.
Most Sincerely,
NORTH BERWICK
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I stayed there for over 20 day’s because our company contracted us to stay there, so we had no say over it. I checked it out on line and of course everything looks good in pictures. They say they went non- smoking but that is not totally true, maybe in the rooms but not on the grounds. The main entrance is a smoking area with smokers sitting on the benches smoking. The area is dirty and looks like the place is not kept up. You have to hold your breath walking by so you don’t inhale second hand smoke. When I got to my room, you could tell they just changed the carpet as it was over powering carpet smell. They say to excuse their appearance while they remodel but the only thing they have done was change carpets and wall paper. The room itself was run down but the carpet was new. I opened the refrigerator and it half way fell out of the stand it kept putting it back but after a while I learned to live with a wobbly refrigerator. I went into the bathroom and had a hard time getting in with the door in the way, it has to be closed when using the toilet or taking a shower. The shower curtain was ripped and torn and two pinching bugs were crawling across it. Since there is No bathroom fan, it is all steamy after a shower and can’t see the mirror. It was hot in the room so I put on the air conditioner only to find it was already on. It was set on a temp then shuts off when it hits it. The problem is when it reaches it; it’s cold and doesn’t kick in until it gets hot. It’s either really cold or really hot; it makes it very hard for a good night’s sleep. After I settled in, I went down to the restaurant. I sat at the bar and the waitress had her back turned to me and was filling ketchup bottles, she said she would be right there, the ketchup must have been more important than me. When she came over I felt like I was bothering her, she gave me a beer and a menu. I had to bother her again to ask for another beer. When I made up my mind what I wanted to eat, I again had to bother her. I had to bother her so much, I thought she was going to throw the food at me when it was ready. I thought it was just her but every time I went there, it was the same thing with different waitresses it is the worst service I have had at any restaurant. I went out back in the lounge area, another smoking area that was very dirty. Not a place to go and enjoy the sun. I must say I did meet one good waitress that works Monday and Wednesday’s her name is Sharron and she was always there asking you if you needed anything. They should get her full time, it would double their service. I wasn’t there on every day of the week but close to it, so there may be another good waitress I didn’t meet but the majority I did and not a good experience. I must however say the food was ok and the prices for the specials were reasonable. When I got back to the room the toilet was running as it did though out my stay no matter how much I complained it never got fixed. As I started watching tv the signal got lost and I was looking at a blank screen that said no signal. I called the front desk and they said they would send someone up. after about an hour a maintenance guy showed up and fixed most of them. This would happen at least every other night. I would get reasons from storm coming; satellite must be out of alignment! What!! There working on it, and “I keep telling them they need to go to cable”!! this happened so much I gave up! The pool was hardly ever open due to remodeling. I asked why was it being done in the summer and was told “some genius figured since the pool was indoors people would like the hotel better in the winter” Who would take vacation in Ct. in the Winter? Not much open! Casinos but is that where you would bring your small kids too? That is a very stupid way of thinking! After three days I got my room serviced, the bed was made and trash gone but nothing else looked clean. Crumbs still on table where I made lunch, carpet wasn’t vacuumed, nothing was moved to dust under everything was still in place how I left it. I pulled down the sheets and they didn’t look fresh so I put a little mark on them. Three days later when I had my room cleaned again the mark was still there. Six day’s later the mark was still there. I hit the maid service button on the phone and got the front desk. I explained to them about the sheets not getting change and was told that they would make sure they tell the head of housekeeping about it and the sheets would get changed the next day. The next day my bed got made, but the mark was still there. This went on until I left 21 days later. They Never Change my sheets. That mark was there the whole time. This is a deal breaker that is very gross; I don’t trust that my sheets were changed from the last guy. I could put up with everything else but when it comes to changing sheets, forget it. If you stay there you might be sleeping on my sheets! Do you want to take the chance! Not there! I wouldn’t!! I complained enough to my boss and we are all moving to another hotel. I’m going back to my company and making a complaint hopefully they will take this place off the places we have to stay at. I highly recommend you find another place to stay at. I was there because of work. I worked long hours and didn’t have to put up with that place often. I couldn’t even imagine being on vacation there and having to spend any time there, it is the most UN relaxing place I have stayed!

Room Tip: Get a diffrent hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Dear GerryNorthBerwick,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

I am concerned to read that your stay with us was not what you expected and that there were several factors that impacted your visit. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had with our level of cleanliness and truly sorry for our level of service fell below your standards.

Your experience is definitely not reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves with. As such, your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future improvements where possible. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
New York
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Do not let the negative reviews stop you! This hotel is CLEARLY trying to turn itself around. Everyone that worked there was extremely nice, polite and helpful. Our hotel room was clean, had everything we needed, and everything worked. Breakfast isn't free but it's good and worth the money (especially since they run it late -- we didn't get downstairs until 10:30).

The shuttle is the most convenient part of the stay. Definitely consider this place if you want somewhere close to Mohegan Sun.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Brian D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Thank you for your great comments!! We always appreciate when guests let us know that they loved their stay and the staff loves to hear the praise. We strive to see that each guest has the great experience that you felt!
Milton, Vermont
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Let me start off with the good pointers. The beds were pretty comfortable and the room was very spacious. It included a mini fridge and looked as if it had a space for a microwave (we were told every room included a microwave), however there was no microwave in the room. Another good thing was most of the staff was very friendly, which was a plus. They also offer a free shuttle to the casino and back that rotates about every half hour. It was about a 5-7 minute drive and saved us the hassle of driving and trying to park.

Now on to some of the not so nice things...The bathroom was very tiny, and the door swung inward which meant that you almost had to move behind the toilet in order to shut the door when you were in there. Also, the drain in the shower was very rusty and kind of gross looking. I know they had just done a bunch of renovations to the hotel, but I think that the shower drain definitely could have either been redone and updated or used a very, very good cleaning. The sink counter top though was very nice and clean and looks like it had recently been updated.

We only stayed for one night just to see a concert at the Mohegan Sun. But almost immediately after check in we ran into a problem with our room. After having checked in we decided to lay down on the beds for a few minutes since it was a long day of driving and we were tired. After a few minutes we sat up on the edge of the bed just talking and about 10 minutes later out of nowhere, the headboard that was hanging on the wall just fell off onto the bed. It hit my aunt in the shoulder/arm but she was fine. I was just thankful that she wasn't still lying on the bed as if she had been it would have fallen right on top of her head.

I called down to the front desk to see about getting someone to come fix it. I was told that they would send somebody right up. An hour later at 4pm nobody had shown up yet and we were suppose to catch a 4:30pm shuttle to the casino. So I called back down but nobody answered as the phone rang about 30 times. So I decided to go down to the front desk. I spoke with the gentleman that was there and told him that we were told maintenance would be up an hour ago and all he said is he had just arrived and was not aware of the situation. He said he would phone maintenance again. Finally the head of housekeeping Kristy had shown up and had to take an accident report since the board did hit my aunt. She was very nice and kept apologizing. She even called the shuttle driver and asked them to hold the shuttle for us as we may be a minute or two late. I was a little unhappy because I really didn't want a maintenance person in our room while we were gone with all of our stuff there and would have rather been there with him, but it looks like I didn't really have a choice since it was so late. But Kristy informed us that she would make sure the room was fixed by the time we arrived back that night.

When we arrived back the wall was fixed and everything was put back together. The Operations Manager also stopped by and offered us a gift bag full of treats and an apology card for the hassle and disturbance. The gift bag was nice but it would have been nicer if they had offered us free breakfast instead, but I've worked in hotels in the past and understand the way everything works so it wasn't that surprising.

The stay overall was okay, but it probably would not be my first choice when coming back to the area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Brian D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
We did reach out to Ms. Hamilton as soon as we were notified that the head board came off the wall to see if she would like to seek medical attention, which she declined saying it had just grazed her shoulder. Our engineer was currently involved with a immediate part of our renovations so there was a delay in getting up to her room and replacing the headboard. Due to the nature of the incident , the engineer had to replace the entire screw system to provide ample support to the headboard. I later went up to the room with a gift basket and bottled water and a hand written note. We have offered complimentary breakfast as a guest recovery but I thought that a hand written note and gift basket deliveried by a manager was a more personal response in this incident.
We truly offered our most sincere apologies to the guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Hampton Inn Norwich
Hampton Inn Norwich
#1 of 6 in Norwich
Fairfield Inn & Suites Uncasville

Been to Holiday Inn Norwich? Share your experiences!