“One Night Stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“One Night Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

We arrived about 7:00 pm and was pleasantly surprised after some of the reviews. Could not get a room at Mohegan Sun so stayed here (5 miles away). Room 601 (an adjoining room) - Was told by Del (checked us in) room was renovated. Room was surprisingly large, and had the new carpet smell. The air conditioner was a little loud. Flat screen tv (albeit a little small for my taste), a fridge and SPACE for microwave but no microwave in sight.

Bed was comfortable lots of pillows. Bathroom is small but clean. Strong shower spray (always a plus). Looked in at Sports Bar but did not stay (a little smokey from grill it seemed. A few people there watching Sunday night football on several screens.

Parking lot was well lit and felt safe. Strange set up of computer in lobby area.

All in all a decent hotel. Only would not stay here again because would like to try other properties.

Room Tip: Room 601 - renovated located at the end of the hall. Was adjoining though.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank c w
Brian D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear Clarissa,
Thank you for your nice comments and taking the time to give us a good review! We appreciate your feedback and would love to have you return to the hotel during another visit to the area.
Warm regards,
Gail O.
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Belfort, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

The room is at the expected level for an Holiday Inn in the US. Big room with 2 double beds. Everything operating correctly. Bathroom a too small (would not hurt the room size to make the bathroom bigger).

But, while we prepaid our night on the internet, we discovered another unjustified and unauthorized $160.94 charge on our credit card. The charge was made 24 hours after our departure. We talked to the hotel staff who claimed they have no trace of such charge on their side but on my credit card it clearly says Holiday Inn Norwich. Hotel has not been helpful in resolving the issue, I have then put a claim through VISA services who will deal with the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for remodeled room.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DCuadrado
Brian D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
We apologize for any inconveniences that you may have encountered with your billing. As we have full access to view each folio, if a charge is not showing in our system than we would need to see specific information from your bank so that we can access the problem. Please realize that when using a debit card an authorization goes on that card that then needs 5 to 10 business days to clear through your bank as specified on the registration cards that is signed at the time of check in.
Please contact the hotel directly if you need further asisstance and ask to speak with a manger.
Most Sincerely,
Gail O.
Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Seaside Heights, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed for a week in August and the newly remodeled rooms were gorgeous. Very comfortable bedding and mattress. The staff was friendly and helpful. The full breakfast was excellent and the bar and main restaurant was fun with good food and a courteous staff. This was an excellent stay for my whole family. The kids had a ball in the new pool on the day it rained.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Brian D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Jon,
We are so pleased to hear that your week long stay with your family went great! Thank you for your great comments as it is always rewarding for staff members to hear the positive feedback.
We certainly will share your thoughts with them!
We look forword to having you return if you get back into the area and again appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience with us.
Warm regards
Saco, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

This Motel was very clean and had a comfortable bed even the pillows were nice ( I usually bring my own pillow) .The rooms are very small without a comfortable chair -although the picture on the internet shows one- a nice desk with chair if you have a computer is nice. This is a nice place to stay if your only there for 1 night however, if you intend on spending more time there I don't think you'd be comfortable watching T.V. sitting on the bed. Breakfast was a little expensive and we didn't eat there.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Brian D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you for your feedback and nice comments. We are currently going through some renovations and replacing the arm chairs. We re waiting on another delery to replace several rooms where the old chairs were removed. We hope that if you return to the area, you will come and enjoy our brand new look at the hotel!
Salem, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

We arrived, were told the computers were down,offered a glass of wine or beer and hot baked cookies. Okay, so that makes the wait tolerable, and I'm okay with it. We waited about an hour, then got in the now very long line. The man in line before me was vigorously complaining about his room. He was given another. I checked in, was given room 401. When I got to the room, I saw the same unhappy man. I asked what room he had the problem with and he said 401-the room the front desk had just given me. He wished me luck. I unlocked the door, and Room 401 was obviously in use. There were clothes, food, construction stuff, 2 laptops and a purse. Good thing I'm honest. Good thing the other guy was too. I called the desk, and asked they send a manager up. I waited. I called the desk again, and waited. I called a third time and got disconnected so I went down to desk. At this point I am furious. Assigning the room once, ok, it's a mistake, not a forgivable one, but a mistake. Giving me the room RIGHT AFTER someone else complained about it-NOT COOL. Gail, the manager found us a room and offered to comp us for the room and breakfast. Meanwhile, It's two hours after I arrived here, the relaxing few hours I planned before heading to dinner and a concert were lost, and I'm majorly stressed out. NOT ACCEPTABLE. If I was the person whose room had been given away twice I'd be even more upset. They are lucky they didn't lose everything they have. I now have less than an hour before our shuttle. Also, Gail had to call for facecloths as there are none in the new room. She is very pleasant, and tried to make things right, but it is totally unacceptable to be giving away rooms that already have guests. Not the way to run a hotel. Typically I have good luck with Holiday Inn Express, but obviously Holiday Inn needs some revamping with room assignment and check in process.

Room Tip: Be sure the room isn't assigned to another traveler. And that you will be the only room occupan...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank idlewood4
Brian D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
First of all , we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. As per our conversation, I would like to note that the computer situation was out of our control and unfortunately happened just as we had a rush on arrivals. We sincerely appreciated your patience in this matter. As I stated when we spoke the room was not a guest room that accidentally come up as vacant ready but was an out of order room that was full of our construction workers tools, materials and personal belongings. We are currently training a new front desk staff member as I pointed out and unfortunately a mistake was made in assigning this room. I was currently helping my room inspector to get rooms ready so I not present at the time of the errors. Although you were staying with us over the weekend on a Goverment rate, I gladly comped the room and made every effort to ensure that the rest of your stay was flawless.
Again, we do apoligize that your experience did not start off well but from our conversation at the time of your departure, I felt that we had made good guest recovery on the situation.
Most Sincerely,
Gail Oettinger
Grafton, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

The room was nice, and clean. Beds were very comfortable and the staff was very friendly. We had breakfast in their restaurant, and it was really very good. The only thing I would change is ask the folks who smoke not to do so right outside of the main entrance. There must be a better spot...
Otherwise, it was very nice. We didn't use the pool or the lounge since we got in late and headed out right after breakfast. I would stay again, for sure!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Brian D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Dear Laurel,
Thank you for your nice comments and we are glad that we were able to provide you with a enjoyable stay. We will be taking your suggestion into review on the smoking area as being a non smoking hotel now we know that many of our guests would perfer not to have any exposure at all. We look froward to you returning to share in our brand new look as we are completeing our renovations!
Warm Regards,
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Another great weekend at the Holiday Inn Norwich!
We planned a getaway, for the weekend, with friends. Holiday Inn Norwich, didn't disappoint. We enjoyed drinks at the sports bar, and then had breakfast the next morning! Outstanding weekend. We used the shuttle to go to the casino, and had a blast!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Brian D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you for staying with us for your special weekend getaway! We are pleased to hear that everything met your expectations and that you enjoyed our new fresh look! We look froward to having you return in the future!
Warm Reagards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Courtyard Norwich
Courtyard Norwich
#4 of 5 in Norwich
Hilton Garden Inn Preston Casino Area

Been to Holiday Inn Norwich? Share your experiences!