“Fantastic!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Joys Country Skillet
Ranked #5 of 112 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: Mexican, American
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Joy's was an amazing breakfast. The omelets, gravy, and pancakes were superb. The service was fantastic, even with 3 kids at the table! They have a Mexican flair to their meals which is a refreshing spice for breakfast.

Only 2 tables that can accommodate larger groups.

Will certainly be back.

Montreal, Canada
“Huevos rancheros, olé!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

What a great find, thanks to the friendly reviewers from Tripadvisor. We were staying nearby and wanted an alternate breakfast option from the overpriced casino. This place truly is a skip away from the Mohegan Sun, but their breakfast is second to none.

Was particularly impressed by the huevos rancheros that came with a delicious slightly spicy red sauce, with the eggs served on fried tortillas. Its like a nacho dish on steroids. Fantastic.

Service was friendly, coffee was always flowing, and the price was just right.

Would not hesitate to go again when in the area, and definitely recommend this place for breakfast, particularly the Mexican options. Just keep in mind that this is a diner, and not really suited for special occasions.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New London, Connecticut, United States
“Good Food, Good Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I ate breakfast for the first time at Joy's Country Skillet on May 23, 2014. This restaurant is located on Route 32, a very short distance from the entrance of the Norwich Inn and Spa. I entered the establishment around 9:30 am, and there were very few people in the restaurant. I sat at the counter, because I was by myself. I was promptly given a menu and offered coffee. The breakfast menu is very extensive, and it has a Mexican touch. There are also daily specials written on the board. The prices of the breakfast menu are very reasonable. I ordered the Huevos a la Mexicana, which is scrambled eggs with chopped onions, green peppers, and tomatoes along with refried beans, Spanish rice, and tortillas. I received my order within 10 minutes. My breakfast was very tasty, and there was plenty of food to satisfy one's appetite. In summary, I was very satisfied with my meal and would not hesitate to return.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
pennsylvania
“Laura our waitress was spot on all done quickly and hot!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Varied with linguica kielbasa hot apples-- many great above average menu items People around us raved about the home fries Not frozen and reheated.

Visited November 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“A Hidden Gem and a MUST!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

We visited Joy's for breakfast after reading reviews on-line. We were with another couple and came away ready to return for another delightful experience.

As has been noted in some of the reviews that we read, this is a family owned and run establishment. It is immediately clear that all family members take pride in their business and are vested in doing all that they can to ensure the comfort and positive dining experience of their patrons. As soon as we sat down, we noted that the entire place is very, very clean; a great first impression! It was not long before our server, a very pleasant and delightful young woman, whom we suspect may be a daughter of the owner, arrived at our table to verify our comfort and to offer us beverages. From that point forward, the experience simply got better and better! The food was prepared to order, fresh and provided a pleasurable sensory experience filled with positive sights, aromas and tastes. I had the Mexican Casserole and my wife had the Chili Omelet. Both were outstanding and, for those who enjoy a Mexican style breakfast, carry our highest recommendation!
Coffee was replenished frequently and creamers were replenished without our asking...in our opinion, a rarity at most similar establishments that we have visited.

The value for the price was very good and, as mentioned at the onset, despite living about 90 minutes away, we look forward to visiting Joy's again for more Mexican epicurean delights!!

• Visited September 2013