“Great Stay!”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Norwich
Port Chester, New York
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My friends and I booked two rooms and stayed here overnight from a saturday to a sunday and had a great time. The rooms were clean and the staff were very friendly. We had a little mishap with our TV (It wasn't turning on) and called the front desk, and not even 5 minutes later a staff member showed up at our door and (easily, might I add) fixed it.
They also had a small store in the lobby that came in handy. It was a little pricy, but the staff made sure to tell us the price of everything before we bought it, which was very helpful.
And if you stay here and plan to travel to Mohegan Sun (which is what my friends and I did) it is completely worth it. They had a shuttle that you could sign up for and it ran all the way till 2 in the morning. The driver was the nicest person ever and made sure my friends and I got on the shuttle before it left.
Overall we had an amazing stay! The only thing this hotel didn't have was room service but everything else was fab!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kristen H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Yorktown Heights, New York
Reviewed 28 January 2014

A few months ago, I won tickets to a concert at Mohegan. Knowing I couldn't afford to stay at Mohegan for the night, my fiancé and I looked into other hotels in the area. The Courtyard Marriott came recommended, especially since it had a shuttle to the casino and back. We booked the room about two months in advance, giving me enough time to reach out to the Operations Manager to see if they would be able to help me surprise my fiancé on our engagement anniversary. The Operations Manager Misha was extremely helpful and helped arrange some added amenities including rose petals, champagne, and delicious chocolate-covered strawberries and fruit. They were also kind enough to upgrade our room. Seeing the pure surprise on my fiancé's face was exactly what I was looking for. The trip exceeded my expectations. The room was clean, the staff were incredibly friendly, and the shuttle was an added bonus to keep us from driving in the cold. All-in-all, we had a wonderful time and hope to return again next month for my bachelorette party.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vanhorn44
Manchester, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I booked a two double bed room for New Year's Eve (12/31) on 12/15 in order to ring in the new year at the casino. I showed up with the three other people that were staying in the room with me, checked in, got my key, and went off to our room. When I got to the room I instantly knew something wasn't right. There was one king bed, and a hot tub in the middle of the bedroom. I immediately ran back upstairs to tell the receptionist that they must have made a mistake. I booked a room with two double beds. They tell me that I was booked for a king and a hot tub. I explain to them that this isn't right, I definitely booked a room with two double beds, and she just stared at me. I ask her what we should do to fix it. I can't sleep in a hot tub. She tells me that they're booked for the night and that there's nothing they can do.

Now I can understand that they're booked for the night, but given that this is their mistake on one of the busiest hotel nights of the year, one would assume that they'd try a LITTLE bit to help me out. No dice. I turn around to go to my room and just as I turn the corner I get called back. The manager came out to talk to me. I felt relieved, I thought if someone were able to help me out here then it would be the manager. No dice. I explain my situation and how I'm stuck on the busiest hotel night of the year. She recites the mantra that they're booked and looks at me with that blank stare that tells me she isn't going to go through any motions to help me out. They DID give me a telephone number to a sister hotel "down the road" (more on this later). I tell her that I understand, but this isn't my mistake and I figure there must be something that can be done to help me out of this pickle. I made the mistake of using the words "you guys took my reservation" where I was quickly and sternly corrected. "We don't make your reservation, central booking makes your reservation." Hey, to me, Marriott is Marriott. I ask her how that information is supposed to benefit me at this point. She just wanted to make sure I understood that nobody in that building actually takes a reservation, and that some call center makes all of the bookings. After this little tidbit (which did not modify my situation in the slightest) was firmly ingrained in my head, I storm off to my room to try and accomplish the impossible. Time to find another hotel.

Oh, another note, I tell them I'm checking out as soon as I find another hotel, and the manager tells me that I only have 15 minutes to find another hotel, because the no-fee cancellation for the check-in ends at 6:00. That was a nice little "kick you when you're down" moment.

I go off to my room to explain to my group that we need to find some other place to stay. First number we call is obviously the number that was given by the hotel themselves. The number was wrong. With the help of our cell phones (thank you, internet!) we looked up the number of the hotel that the one they gave us SHOULD have been, and spoke with them. Turns out that the hotel is actually a 40 minute cab right from the casino (I did tell the receptionists my plan for the night, even told them we needed to take the hotel shuttle to the casino when we checked in). Apparently "down the road" means another 14+ miles away. I shouldn't have been surprised.

We start hunting down hotels which are an acceptable distance from the casino on our cell phones. As we're calling different hotels (and, of course, finding all of the two-double-bed rooms booked) the phone in the room starts ringing. Maybe the receptionists/manager were able to rectify the situation! I pick up... and the manager tells me that legally I am not allowed to have four people in the room, and since there are four people in the room that it is a fire hazard. My jaw dropped. I tell her that we will leave as soon as we find an actual hotel for the night, and that this should be the least they could do in order to help make this situation right. She then explains that not only are four people not allowed in the hotel room, but that we need to leave because "we can still sell the room tonight". I lost it. There is absolutely no way that I'm going to bend over backwards at this point in order to make sure that they sell their 70's wallpaper, musty smelling, tacky hot-tub-in-the-same-room-as-the-bed little dump. I told her we will leave when we lock down a hotel that actually gets us the room they promise us.

Thankfully it didn't take long. We found a room at the Hyatt, just a mile from the hotel, because someone had just cancelled. I recommend using that hotel when you're going to Mohegan. Facility is gorgeous and new, and they had a glass of champagne waiting for us as we walked into the lobby.

Bottom line, I will never stay at a Marriott hotel ever again. I've never encountered something like this. Human decency (not even your job telling you to do it) would be to try and help someone out when you have the means. These receptionists and the manager were obviously bitter that they had to work the night shift on New Year's Eve. I get it, but that doesn't mean you need to ruin someone else's night. Stay away from this wretched place.

Room Tip: Go to the Hyatt. Get out of this hole.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Greg M

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Westchester, New York
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We are Marriott members and have stayed in many Marriott hotels. Our room was clean and had plenty of towels and pillows to make us comfortable. We were in Norwich to spend the day at Mohegan Sun. The casino was about 8 miles away off of 395 and a easy ride to the casino. However, they had a free shuttle that ran every 30 minutes starting at 3:30PM to the casino.
Fast checkin. Swimming pool and exercise room lower level. The rooms are small but comfortable for the amount of time we spend there. The rooms could use a update.

My only surprise with this hotel is if you wanted a cup of coffee you had to buy it at the small bistro. And the coffee was very strong. We drink columbian coffee and this was twice as strong. Be aware and make sure to get enough milk to take up to your room for your coffee. Juice, bagels and other food stuff were also available for a fee.

Most Marriotts we have been to provided tea or coffee comp in the lobby. For this level of hotel it would be a nice perk for people traveling and visiting in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed over long weekend to attend holiday concert at Mohegan Sun. Their free shuttle to/from that casino is super-handy. Desk & housekeeping staff very friendly, everyone seemed to know their job and do it well. New sheets & pillows, everything in room clean & all worked. Good wifi. This isn't a new hotel, but one that's been updated so you have to accept the small bathroom and through-the-wall kinda-loud heater/ac unit. Nice lobby area, good seating, fireplace, welcoming.

Room Tip: hotel is next to highway exit and the ice machines can be kinda loud, so ask for quiet location
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
CT
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I stayed here to attend a concert at Mohegan Sun. Three and half stars is a more accurate rating. Basic hotel, location is very good, right off the highway - 8 miles away. The room was clean, beds comfy although the pillow was too high and gave me a terrible neck ache so bring your own if you are sensitive. There is no free coffee in the lobby but there is a little bistro where you can buy Starbucks coffee and food. I got a breakfast sandwich in the morning with my coffee ($10.00) For this level of hotel I think complimentary breakfast would be appropriate The floor above me had a party going on until about 3am. I should have called the front desk but I toughed it out. I used Priceline and got a good rate so I am happy with the stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed here for four nights on personal business in mid November this year. Average, non-updated (except for lobby) Courtyard. My thoughts:

Location: Just off the highway so easy to get to. Downside is that you get a fair bit of highway noise in the rooms. Not a particularly attractive strip of road with a lot of gas stations just across the street. Free parking. Four stories.

Check in and lobby: Very easy and very courteous. No complaints at all about the service. All very friendly and prompt. Person at the desk gave me an excellent recommendation for a greta grinder. Lobby and restaurant are all comtemporary Courtyard standards. Very pleasant in a slightly bland kind of way. Very clean. Not a bad place to sit and watch TV.

Rooms: Rooms look tired. I was in a standard king room for two days and then got upgraded to a suite (both on 4th floor). Suite was larger with very slightly updated fixtures but not by much. I always wonder why Marriott spends a lot of money updating the lobby rather than updating the rooms. I spend more time in the rooms than in the lobby. The standard King room suffered from a lack of outlets and some very tired looking furniture. The bathroom was small with the shower/ tub combo and the toilet in one closed off area and the vanity in another. Water pressure was good. Towels not thick but OK. Standard soap, shampoo etc. Lighting was good. AC/Heater was the older type that you had to adjust on the unit itself (in other words, the temp control was not on the wall). Noise level of the unit was louder than I would have preferred but not deafening. Fridge in the room. Standard King room was not large but OK for one or two people. Suite was a nice size. Little adornment on the walls. Both rooms very clean. I had no problems at all with the cleaning services or other requests that I had. As I mentioned, road noise can be intrusive. TV a modern flat screen but channel selection could be better. One closet with adequate hangars. Adequate for two people. Good amount of storage space. Beds in both rooms were good.

Amenities. Did not use the pool. Exercise room had free weights, one recumbent bike, 2 (maybe 3) treadmills. Not large but the entire time I was there I only saw one other person in it so not bad. I had breakfast at the restaurant. Good service. Had the oatmeal and fruit and I was happy with it. Wish it were complementary but price was reasonable. Can get drinks at the bar but you will get a better value if you walk about 20 yards to the bar at Prime 82 which is next door. Nice bar area and the food is pretty good albeit a bit over priced for the area.

Value: I know a lot of people come here for the casinos and I guess they get better prices that way. My rate for Saturday and Sunday was around $180 a night which I think is absurdly high for Norwich (although I admit I did not check out the comopetition because the location was very good for me). It fell to $118 a night on Monday night which I consider more reasonable. If you want to spend time on Priceline or one of those sites I'm sure you can get a better deal.

Overview: Nothing bad about the place and it appears to be extremely popular with the casino crowd. I don't see the value on weekends, though, unless you get a favorable rate.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Comfort Suites- Norwich
Holiday Inn Norwich
Holiday Inn Norwich
#3 of 6 in Norwich
Fairfield Inn & Suites Uncasville

Been to Courtyard Norwich? Share your experiences!