Zen Namkhan Boutique Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Lao Spirit Resort(Luang Prabang)
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
Kiridara Luang Prabang(Luang Prabang)
View Hotel
Nam Sok Guesthouse(Luang Prabang)
  • Restaurant
Villa Maydou(Luang Prabang)
  • Breakfast included
The Apsara Rive Droite(Luang Prabang)
Burasari Heritage(Luang Prabang)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsnatural poolelephant villagenamkhan rivertad sae waterfallelephants trumpetingtad seluang prabanghuge balconylaapno air conditioningmosquito netin townbreakfast and dinnerwater buffaloin south east asiathe nam khan riverriver view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 March 2013

After a night in a village home stay the hotel was what we needed. Gorgeous villas spacious with the most relaxing view and outdoor shower. I loved the fact that it was not just another hotel room.
The food was wonderful and the hotel owner/manager was great company. His dog was very friendly too and enjoyed a swim in the Nahm Khan river.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mayer5
indianajone27, Owner at Zen Namkhan Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

A. Big thank you to take the time to share your experience at our resort. It's help and encourage us to give our best.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

We arrived at the Zen at the midpoint of our 32 day tour of Vietnam/Laos, 7 of which were in Luang Prabang. Take advantage of the pricing and stay for at least 4 nights as we did. Once you find great serenity and relaxation in such a beautiful place why would you want to leave? Luc kindly recommended “Serenity” (name of villa we stayed in) overlooking the river. We had booked the villa over the suspension bridge, but we determined “Serenity” was what we were looking for. IT WAS AMAZING! Sitting out at night listening to locals singing as they navigated the river below, or just listening to the sounds of the jungle at night. Enjoy a coffee on the balcony in the morning while hearing the trumpet sounds of the elephants down river while watching the most amazing sunrise. Very nice open air shower in the room.

I found all the staff to be excellent, friendly and accommodating. Luc and Moon have built a very special place that must be experienced to be believed. In the fast paced world that we live in it was 4 days of absolute relaxation and retreat. Enjoy the Japanese bath followed by a massage. It was wonderful.

Then get Khamsaen to make you the “best Pina Colada in Laos”. Khamsaen acts as concierge, tour guide, bartender among other duties. He is an exceptional young man with a good heart. He gave us a tour of the local elephant compound and the local village.

After reading some of the Zen’s critics I find some comments extremely harsh. If paradise is a red carpeted 5 star hotel with a pool/bar on the roof of a 30 floor hotel perhaps Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh or Singapore is as remote as you should get. As some have said the Zen is not for everyone. But if you are looking for "Serenity"......

The pool is amazing with a spectacular view of the mountains. We loved the food, pina coladas and a great wine selection. I must apologize to Luc, Moon and Khamsaen for such a delay with posting my review. We stayed there in March 2012 but not a month goes by that I don’t remember that very special time. The Zen was not just a highlight of our 2012 trip, but stands out as one of the best experiences among 3 trips to VN, Laos and Cambodia. We hope to return one day, although it won’t be as quickly as I would like.

Room Tip: Choose the one of the villas overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CDN_in_SE_Asia
indianajone27, Owner at Zen Namkhan Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

From our staff and myself thank you very much for your encouragement. It's give us the motivation to continue to do our best.

Reviewed 9 March 2013

The setting is really beautiful. Gorgeous views over the pool to the mountains. We had a villa that was quite big and interesting..with an outdoor shower - remember to shower before dark :), and again amazing view. The terrace was nice, with wooden chairs that were not too comfy. Wish they invested in some pillows so you could actually sit there and enjoy.
There were a lot of small lizards waiting for us when we checked in the room.

It looks like an interesting place to spend around three days.
Food was too spicy for our taste, the spiciest we had in Laos. Food and massage were quite expensive.
I got sick while the next morning after we came - I do not believe it was from anything we had there, but can't be sure.
We booked only one night with booking.com and we received some uncomfortable comments from the staff. We asked for a double room with the booking, but got twin - with a comment that we only booked for one night...They did not provide much info on the possibilities of trekking around, as we are staying only for one night so we do not have enough time anyway etc. If it is a problem that people would like to stay just for one night - they should not make it possible to book for one night. I also sent them an inquiry with the booking if they can arrange us a transportation to the resort, and never got an answer for it.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ana C
indianajone27, Owner at Zen Namkhan Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Dear guest,

Sorry for the inconvenient about the double room versus twin but at that time we was full and we had only this room left. Normally with agencies and our booking reservation system we mention 2 nights minimum. We offer free transport when the guest book direct with us with a minimum of 2 nights. We make this 2 nights minimum because we feel to really enjoy the nature of Laos (and because we are at 20 minutes from town) you need to stay 2 nights. My Best regards

Reviewed 7 March 2013

Our part had a great time in this beautiful place. A real Shangra La jungle setting. A highlight of a four week trip through Vietnam, laos,and Cambodia. The food was delicious ( but a limited menu, which did not bother us a bit.) Great curries, very nice wine selection. We enjoyed the staff, and the owners. The owner has good taste in music too! The yoga class by moon was challenging. The massages by the local village women were much better than we expected,Ina lovely setting. We walked down to the river at 7:30 am to see the elephants bathing, another high point of our travels. There are few caveats: 1) this area is very steep and the villas are spread across the mountain. If you have trouble walking or use a cane/ wheel chair, this would be challenging. 2) you must ask for an air conditioned room! If not, you will get a room that has no screens and you will need a mosquito net... One guest told me that he changed rooms three times before getting one that was reasonably safe from Mosquitos. 4) the pool was too cold to swim in, and it's too green with algae for most people to swim in. Despite those minor points, this is well two nights and days to enjoy the jungle. Go soon before the new roads and railroads are completed, 2014' which will bring huge numbers of people to Laos.

Room Tip: Insist on an air conditioned room! Otherwise you will have mosquitoes!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank VendolaSanRafael

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments. I just want to clarify some point: regarding the green algae it's part of the ecosystem of a natural pond there no way we can avoid them. What you have to control it's the excess of green algae. A expert told me if you don't see your feet you are in big problem if you can see it clearly your water it's perfect. (I go to swim almost everyday and I see clearly my feet!) The green algae you see on the stone it's normal. We clean and brush the section where our guest swim almost everyday. For the cold water that you found sorry but there nothing I can do!

Regarding the mosquitos it's a matter of tolerance. You can get mosquitos between 4 to 6 o'clock. In my point of view there very few specially in this period of the year and there no necessity to have A/C to be protect of the mosquitos but A/C can good on hot season for your comfort but again this is personal. The guest you mention they change the room because they want a up-grade and they was looking for a quiet place with A/C.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

I am a bit torn as to what rating to give here, because
a) i recommend everybody to go there and stay a night or two
b) the service and especially the hospitality is soso for the price, for which I have to reduce the rating

a)
The location is absolutely top, we had one of the stunning villas that overlook the river. You feel 100% inside nature from a luxiourious setting. We absolutely loved the big wooden balconies, the furniture as well as the outside shower. Everything well thought out with lots of style.
The nature pool is absolutely stunning as well, inside a very nice pond layout with a stunning view.
The lao food is really well-cooked, but the variety is a bit lacking, if you would stay there longer than two nights.
which brings me to the downside
b) the hospitality and attitude of the owner and his lao reception guy is really lacking. A lot of time we had the feeling that the place is there for the owner and not for his guests.

Example 1: making his boss a cocktail would take precedence and they would have fun together at the bar totally ignoring our wish to order for 30 min after bringing us the menu

Example 2: on their website they promise free transfer from and to Luang Prabang, if you stay 2 nights. Unbelievably, it means transfer when they feel like it, not when you feel like it.
We wanted to stay till midday and enjoy the sun and the view a bit more before going, and he wanted us to leave around 10 since he had other guests going to the airport. For me thats not really free transfer. Unbelievably he started arguing with me about wether we should go at 10 or not. If you are paying 290U$ for 2 nights in Laos it feels really cheap, if the owner haggles with you over the price of the cab to town.
A shame for the great resort!

Room Tip: Take one of the 4 villas: Serenity, Courage, Force
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank QuietTripping

Dear guest,
> Thank you for comment on our resort. I am happy that you appreciate and share with us the beauty and the nature of Laos. Regarding the menu we will offer not time to time but on a regular basis a special of the day (3 sets + coffee or tea) and the price will vary from $12 to $18. But guest must understand that we are not in town and it's not a restaurant who serve 25 or 50 meals a day. We have to go almost everyday to get fresh vegetable or meat and it's impossible to offer a wide varieties of meal. Example to offer the best sometime we have to wait a week before to get a good piece of meat.
> My wife or ex-wife, staff or friends said I can be selfish but none of them never told me that I was stingy! (I will said you cannot do this kind of business specially in Laos if you are stingy) I had to go to the airport because some of our guest had a fly at 12:30, they was ready to go at 11:00 instead at 10:00. I explain to you the situation and I asking you to make a compromise, to go at 11:00 instead of 12:00. Your answer was: I will ask you to make a compromise we share the cost of the taxi! I said yes... Time of the conversation: 1 minute. It's was business talk...like anyone who run a business I try to control my cost.

Finally I can assure you Client Come First (By experience I can assure you I am the last one to be serve!) I am sorry that you had to wait to be serve but you seem in deep conversation at that time and a small sign from your part I am sure my staff will serve you promptly. Please receive my Best Regards