“Many nice features but thin walls”

Hyatt Regency Greenwich
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Old Greenwich
Reviewed 21 December 2013

For several years I have always picked this hotel as a base when coming to the NY City area. During my last stay, which was for three nights ending about a week ago, I experienced the usual great service always provided by this hotel. The facility itself is very attractive. The rooms are very nice as well. I made full use of a good internet connection. The cons: I was forced three times in two nights to listen to activity in the adjacent room that I would have happily avoided. The walls in this recently remodeled hotel appear to be very thin. I moved from my first room (which had a connecting door) to another room without the connecting door, hoping that the walls would be thicker. However, I still was able to hear the TV, conversations, the shower and bathroom, snoring and other activity in the adjacent room - and I am not a particularly light sleeper. I noticed that the elevator doors had signs asking for quiet hour from 10pm to 6 am. I'm wondering if this is in response to customer complaints about noise. However, there isn't much that can be done about people simply using room facilities.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with a connecting door - the noise problem will be worse.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank robinw229

Reviewed 17 December 2013

My boyfriend and I were stranded in CT with his son last weekend because of a snow storm. Jay and Mike at the front desk were incredibly helpful and nice. Our rate included a buffet breakfast which offered an omelet station. They had coffee makers/tea/etc set up in the lobby and on every floor each morning. The pool was nice, although busy and the fitness room seemed to be newly renovated and was great! The rooms also seem to have new appointments. I have stayed in a lot of hotels in the Stamford area and this is definately one of the tops!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Very we'll kept hotel convenient to I-95. Staff very friendly, rooms newly decorated. Quiet at night. Great bar and inside solarium to stay inside during very cold nights. Food was good but watch out for the tortilla soup - yikes it's spicy!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This hotel is not in the heart of Greenwich, but down the main road a bit. It is fine for a quick stay in town for business. Staff was very nice, but they put me in a room a couple feet from the elevator. You could also hear the loud noise from the bar coming up from the open air lobby in to the room. They were good about changing the room. Someone I was traveling with could not find her room. It turns out it was beyond two closed doors marked Presidential Suite. It would seem the desk staff would let the guest know this before sending them on their way. (The room was not the presidential suite... you just had to go in to a doorway marked Presidential Suite). The shower/tub had that grey dirty cast across the bottom that made you feel a little vulnerable when you stepped in to it. They provide you with one of those rubber mats...maybe they know its dirty/stained? The bathroom trash can reminded me of a hospital stay. I don't want to be too hard on the hotel, because as I mentioned, the staff was very friendly and helpful. Just a few odd things that stand out to the experienced traveler.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We've stayed at the Hyatt Regency Greenwich many times over the years. It seems to go up and down. In general it's reliably comfortable and the service is decent, but this time (stayed over the Thanksgiving holiday) we noticed some new issues.

The first thing we saw driving into the rear self-park lot was a smashed-up and disused entry gate, where there used to be an attendant. Unlike last time, anyone can now drive in/out and they just charge your room $10/night, as long as you tell them you're parking there.

The parking lot itself is very dark at night in sections -- many of the lights are not working. (We did see a repairman fixing one during the day, but the lights were still mostly dark the following night.)

The rear entry door, which used to be accessible at night via card key only, is now unlocked or ajar. Anyone is free to enter the hotel at all hours. One evening we almost got knocked down by a group of young men running through the halls banging on doors. Hotel guests? I doubt it.

Another slight negative: in contrast to most hotels, there's really no lobby per se where one can comfortably sit. Yes, there's a large (and noisy) atrium like most Hyatt Hotels, but it's mostly taken up with the restaurant and the bar. There are a few couches and chairs scattered about, but in high-traffic areas. If you want a quiet place to sit, plan on staying in your room...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Let me start by saying that we have been staying at this hotel for at least 10 years and have always enjoyed our visits. This time our experience has just been amazing and started even before we checked in. The morning of our arrival, I called the hotel to request the same room we stayed in last time and was lucky enough to speak with a super friendly woman named Meghan. She informed us that the room we wanted was already occupied, but took it upon herself to check if there were any identical rooms on another floor. When she discovered they were also occupied, she seemed genuinely upset for us. During our conversation, I mentioned we were coming to celebrate our 15 year anniversary. We had a nice exchange about how special it was and before I knew it, she told me that she was giving us a suite! Her words were "this is my present to you" and she told me that the room would be ready for us to check in whenever we wanted!!! I was thrilled! When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by Justin who was so welcoming and went out of his way to congratulate us on our anniversary and offer us champagne or wine in the room. We thanked him but declined, and he said to please come talk to him if he could do anything to make our stay more enjoyable. We thanked him for his kindness and checked into our huge and beautiful suite!!! Thank you Meghan!!! Later that evening I went to the front desk to ask about breakfast and saw Justin. He remembered me from earlier and asked if I decided what we would like. I asked if the hotel ever gave complimentary breakfast in lieu of the champagne. He could not have been nicer and responded that the hotel loves celebrating special occasions. He handed me breakfast vouchers for both nights of our stay! The breakfast was great and so was the service! The next night I came back to our room and found a beautiful tray of chocolate dipped strawberries and champagne! Even nicer, was the personalized anniversary
card that accompanied it! I cannot tell you how impressed we are with this hotel and the wonderful people who work here. We had a wonderful experience with the gentleman who brought us room service last night, as well. He mistakenly only brought one glass of water and was very apologetic. He of course, offered to go back and get another one. When he returned, he brought with him a complimentary bread basket because he felt badly that we had to wait!!! Every single moment of our stay has been perfect!!!! The housekeeper who cleaned our room was also lovely! Meghan and Justin are true assets to your hotel and wonderful representatives of a business that truly aims to provide a personal touch and go that extra mile! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

We all know hotels are engineered to make a traveling guest feel at home. This hotel takes less consideration toward the guest and their conveniences. They offer coffee only on guest floors near elevator up until 11am. So if your not on their schedule you get no coffee. Well now your standing with other guests coming out for their morning coffee, let's just say nobody looks pretty.
This hotel misses the mark where other hotels without its status nails it because these other hotels think like a guest and offer them conveniences engendered to fit their life.
You can request a coffee maker for your room (one that should be there anyway) and they brought decaf coffee only. Again insult to injury. But for a Hyatt regency if you like to be seen walking through the front door and don't need standard guest conveniences then you will love this place.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Laura M, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Trvalot77,

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay! I am very sorry that we did not cater to your needs as a valued business traveler and I assure you that we will take your suggestion into consideration so that we can improve the guest experience.

I sincerely hope that you otherwise enjoyed your stay, and we would be happy to have you back so that we can further exceed your expectations! Happy holidays!

Laura McLoughlin

Doral Arrowwood
Doral Arrowwood
#2 of 2 in Rye Brook
Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to Hyatt Regency Greenwich? Share your experiences!