“Great staff, great room, gorgeous lobby”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Old Greenwich
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed with my wife and kids and we had a great time. We had plans in Greenwich so this location was great for us since we didn't have to get back on 95 just to get around town. There's a little strip mall down the hill but you'll want/need a car since this hotel isn't right in downtown Greenwich.

The staff was pleasant, helpful, and ultra courteous. Check-in was fine, bellman was totally professional and our room was ready and waiting. The beds were just what you want after a long drive as they were completely comfy and cozy. The room left nothing to be desired and was just what I expected.

If your room faces the back of the building, like ours, you may not have much of a room to speak of. Our room had plenty of natural light but being on the fourth floor, we looked out on the roof of a lower part of the hotel. Some of the room that face the inside of the building look out over the lobby garden.

Our stay was at the very end of May and when we pulled in, I felt the flower beds out front needed attention. It just looked like nothing had been done to ready the landscaping for spring, aside from mowing the lawn. A hotel like this would add to it's impression on guests if it could really wow you with some attractive, above-average landscaping when you first pull onto the property.

Although, as stated, our room was perfect, the tall tower at the corner of the hotel closest to the road, which bears the Hyatt Regency name, showed signs of needing some paint and window sill maintenance on the outside. This doesn't look to be part of where guests stay but seeing as how it really identifies the hotel, it should be in perfect shape. The rest of the building looks great but this tower is a standout feature which should look just as sharp as the rest of the hotel.

I'll close with noting how the garden inside the lobby is absolutely beautiful! This won us over and had a refreshing quality to it that you don't find in every hotel. The greenhouse-style roof lets in all the natural light you could want and the vegetation surrounding the stream of running water looked healthy and lush. This garden had a way of helping you feel like you might be in a warmer climate and was obviously a point of pride for the property.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the lobby look out onto the very attractive lobby greenhouse/garden. Rooms that face...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Britney P, Hospitality Specialist at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Good Evening,

I greatly appreciate your very detailed review about your stay at The Hyatt Regency Greenwich. I am glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time at our property, and that you enjoyed our convenient location. Thank you for all of your tips on room locations. I will discuss your excellent suggestion regarding the updating of our exterior landscaping with our engineering team. I am very partial to your description of our atrium lobby, this was very nicely worded. Also, I am pleased to hear that you room had a lot of natural light.

If there is anything I can do to assist in booking a future stay, or if you have any further questions or feedback, please feel free to email me directly at britney.papantonio@hyatt.com. I hope to see you and your family again soon!

Hyatt Regency Greenwich

Write a ReviewReviews (1,471)

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were traveling through the area and got a great rate from Hotwire. We were impressed with the hotel, especially considering we spent less than $100. The upsides were the friendly staff, the beautiful atrium, and the clean, nicely decorated rooms. The downsides were the parking fees, the freezing cold atrium, and the inability to add a rollaway bed to a double room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TwoSue
Britney P, Hospitality Specialist at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Good Evening,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback regarding your most recent stay at The Hyatt Regency Greenwich! We always enjoy hearing back from our guests and highly value the feedback. I am very happy to hear that you got an excellent rate on the room and furthermore, that you were impressed with our staff, the atrium lobby, and the hotel decor.

I do apologize about the uncomfortable temperature of the atrium, the fee associated with the parking. I will alert our engineering team so that we can eliminate the uncomfortable temperature of the atrium. I am also very sorry that we do not allow rollaway beds in rooms with two full size beds due to the strict fire codes we must abide by.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay aside from the few setbacks, and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to the Stamford/Greenwich area.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed there for business for one night. It is very nice and clean. The employees are very courteous. They have a microwave on the 3rd floor which was helpful for me. They also have a mini fridge for your use in the room. They have an atrium with a bar and restaurant which I didn't use. In the lobby there are good looking cookies and lemonade that are complimentary. Walking out of the entrance and hanging a left on the main road you will find 2 supermarkets, a gym, a subway restaurant and a dunkin donuts. The hotel rooms are far from the elevators. Ask for a room close to the elevators if you are coming in and out.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JorgePKA

Good Evening,

Thank you for taking that time out of your day to write about your experience at our property. I do find that your review is helpful to the public, so on behalf of everyone, thank you for this. Also, I am happy to hear that you were satisfied with the cleanliness and appearance of our property. Thank you so much for staying with us and providing other guests with helpful feedback. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed here for a week for work and was underwhelmed by the experience. Built in the 1980s according to staff, this hotel has a lot of miles on the clock - walls are paper thin and I could hear crying children and the electrical cupboard situated outside my room, which kicked in relentlessly every few minutes throughout the night as well as revellers from a wedding until 4am. While staff tried hard, the isolated position meant that customers relied on the shuttle service to get to offices or the nearby shops at Stamford or Greenwich. The first afternoon I arrived, I was dropped at the Stamford Mall just minutes before it closed and was assured I could easily get a taxi back to the hotel. After waiting 45 minutes, I walked to the Marriot Hotel where extremely helpful staff called me a taxi to return to the Hyatt. This was in contrast to the complete indifference by the the Hyatt staff, even after I raised it with the manager. A couple of staff were however, standouts and went the extra mile - Anthony In particular.

Room Tip: As far from the electrical cupboard as possible
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Britney P, Hospitality Specialist at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Good Afternoon,

I am very disappointed to find that you were underwhelmed by your stay experience at our property. I am very sorry that you could hear everything from the guest room beside yours, as I am sure this was very uncomfortable as well as irritating I am sure. I also wanted to apologize for the noise from the wedding, keeping you up until early in the morning.

Please accept my apologies for all of the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. If you do find yourself booking with us again in the future, please contact me prior to your arrival at the e-mail listed below so that I can block you for a nice and quiet room that is not near the electrical cupboard.

britney.papantonio@hyatt.com

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel is beautiful although it's kind of fortress looking when you drive up. Postives would be: the hotel staff is exceptional. Friendly, courteous and always willing to assist. The main lobby is gorgeous, like a tropical paradise. We had a rate that included breakfast. The buffet breakfast was very good. Lots of variety and the food was tasty. There was a free shuttle to the beach which was very nice and saved us having to pay a $20 parking fee. Now the negatives: The hotel room was spacious with a beautiful view of the atrium lobby. However, the room was freezing cold and no matter how much we raised the thermostat it wouldn't get much warmer. The walls were paper thin, you could hear hallway noise and people flushing the toilet in the room next door. No coffee maker in the room. They put coffee out near the elevator, every morning, but if you didn't have a room near the elevator, what good was that? The shower head didn't spray wide enough. The pool area had the potential to be nice, but there was no lifeguard and it was constantly filled with noisy splashing kids. There was no enjoyment for Adults. The hotel should have a cut off for children at 8 pm, or else periodic adult swims only. The gym was very nice but the water cooler was broken for three days in a row and there was no alternative. So after a workout when you were tired and thirsty, there was no available water. I would come back but there is definitely room for improvement.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Britney P, Hospitality Specialist at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Good Evening,

Thank you for writing about your stay at The Hyatt Regency Greenwich. This is greatly appreciated, as we are always trying to improve our product and services based on our customer’s feedback. After carefully reading your review, I am very pleased to read that you found our staff to be most courteous. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Winfield's. I like how you described our atrium lobby as a "tropical Paradise." And furthermore, I like how you broke down the review by separating the positives followed by the negatives; this will be very helpful for other travelers.

I do apologize that the temperature of your guest room was consistently too cold, as I can see how uncomfortable this must have been for you. I am also very sorry that your room was very noisy. I am not sure what room you were in, but unfortunately some of our rooms are adjoining so they tend to be a bit noisy with the connecting door, nonetheless, I am very sorry for this disturbance.

I will speak with our engineering team regarding the possibility of new shower heads with a wider range. Also, you do raise an excellent idea to set aside a time for an adult swim which I will raise with them as well.

If you would like to book with us again in the future as I hope you will, Please feel free to contact me at britney.papantonio@hyatt.com prior to your arrival so that I can block you for a quiet room with a coffee maker pre placed in the room.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel numerous times and it is a nice place close to NYC and great for travelers. I always had a positive experience that I do not contact them in advance to make sure I get a quiet room, which I always do.

It is conveniently located near 95 and even though it feels like it is in the middle of nowhere, it is actually not far away from Greenwich Center and Stamford, CT where you they have everything including Whole Foods Market and various restaurants and a big shopping mall. Hotel's lobby is beautiful like a little oasis, you can just sit there and relax, which many people do.

It is a very large hotel and feels like a maze at times. It has large meeting rooms and I remember them having events there often. I have many pictures of the lobby from my previous trips, unfortunately I arrived late this time and left early so could only take one picture.

I stayed in a king bedroom and it was huge. There is a small fridge in the room. I believe there is no coffee maker, but they have free coffee/tea by the elevators every morning. Room was (as always) clean and well kept. It is not a brand new hotel, but it is in good shape, definitely acceptable in my terms. Bathroom was also clean and good sized. I love that they do not have the disgusting bed spreads on the bed, just a comforter and pillows. I find those things disgusting and unsanitary. I am sure hotels do not wash them each time guests leave, so I am happy to see that they got rid of the bedspreads. I hope most hotels adopt that change.

My biggest concern is always noise, but I never remember having any issues in this hotel, so I keep coming back. I recommend it to solo travelers as well as families since the rooms are large enough to accommodate larger groups.

I believe there is free WIFI, they gave me a code, but I did not try or use it, again I was there late at night. You pay for parking, which is the only downside. It has a huge lot and it is not walking distance to anything so to me it is an unnecessary charge. It is close to NYC, about 35 miles to mid 50s Manhattan, which takes about 45 minutes. It is doable, I have done that many times, but it gets tiring quickly unless you love to drive. Also if stay a few days parking fee in the hotel plus NYC plus any tolls will add up.

Overall I recommend Hyatt Greenwich to everyone and I am sure I will be back when in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors away from elevators if you want a quiet room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Good Evening,

Thank you for taking to the time to write such a detailed review regarding The Hyatt Regency Greenwich. I do appreciate you staying with us so frequently, as well as all of the feedback you have provided us and other trip advisor viewers. I particularly like how you used the word "Oasis" to describe our atrium lobby, this was very nicely worded. A very special thanks goes out to you for recommending us to all different types of travelers!

I am glad to hear that you were very pleased with the size of your room, and furthermore, that it was very clean and in good condition. I do, however, apologize for the long walk from the self-parking and for the fee associated.

We always look forward to hearing from you and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My favorite place to stay at in the area. Keep coming back and have been here so many times that some of the managers remember my last name... Besides spotless clean and beautifully setup rooms, very nice fitness center and swimming pool, great bar and restaurant food, super courteous staff that is beyond helpful with any of your requests, the green atrium in the center of this hotel makes staying here very special. Right when you walk in you enter huge, four stories tall atrium with real palm, ficus and bamboo trees and multiple ponds, even few birds, that has huge tranquilizing effect. This hotel is my sanctuary when coming from New York City - which is relatively easy to commute to - it takes only 50 minutes on Metro North train.

Room Tip: backyard facing room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Britney P, Hospitality Specialist at Hyatt Regency Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Good Evening,

Thank you for writing this very kind and thoughtful review about The Hyatt Regency Greenwich. This review is an excellent reference to anyone inquiring about our property. We do appreciate this review, as well as having you as a repeat guest with us. Your review paints a beautifully detailed picture of our atrium lobby. It is very heart touching to know that our staff has made you feel at home here.

If there is anything I can do to make any of your stays with us more comfortable, please contact me directly at britney.papantonio@hyatt.com. Thank you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Old Greenwich
Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa
Doral Arrowwood
Doral Arrowwood
#2 of 2 in Rye Brook

Been to Hyatt Regency Greenwich? Share your experiences!