“I'm not sure the service could've been any slower”
Review of Black Hall Grille

Black Hall Grille
Ranked #21 of 30 Restaurants in Old Lyme
Cuisines: American
Description: Formerly known as "Clams".
Description: Formerly known as "Clams".
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My family of six and I arrived at the restaurant at 6 pm. There was another large party of six and a couple of tables of two people. Not what I would call crowded by any means. By the time our food arrived at 7:20 pm (yes...7:20....an hour and 20 minutes after we ordered) one of our four year old twins was asleep, the other was crying because she was incredibly hungry and pretty much wolfed down her food. My mother in law ordered a baked lobster and steak and when she broke open the lobster claw, it squirted hot water everywhere, all over her steak. It was definitely streamed and not baked and it did ruin the rest of her food. The rest of the food wasn't terrible, although the sweet potatoes tasted really oily and the salad had oil and vinegar AND ranch dressing. The burgers were good and the seafood platter was generous.
The waitress was nice ....she actually seemed embarrassed to be working there. The real kicker was when we asked to speak to the manager. She was this harsh woman who was argumentative sarcastic and barely offered to compensate us for anything. She begrudgingly took off our soft drinks and one of the burgers. Thanks.
I can second the fact that they have a rude sign about "stray" children being sold.And they also have another sign posted that said something about complaints not being handled today and tomorrow doesn't look good either or something to that effect. It was really weird. Who posts signs like that in a fine dining establishment where meals cost upwards of $20+ ??
But I must add, if you are friends with the owner, you will get good service as we witnessed as we were finishing our meal. A couple came in and was greeted right away by the owner/manager and they were promptly given drinks, their food order was put right in and their appetizers were on their way! I'm glad someone had a good time eating there. There was also another couple at a table across from us that was unhappy that their food took so long, too. I'm not sure how well they were taken care of after their complaint to the manager, but they also looked really annoyed by her.
Skip the Grille and try some of the other wonderful restaurants in the area....we had a great experience at Spice in Niantic!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My family went over 4th of July for the Re-Grand Opening of the Grille. I would not recommend this restaurant for children. They only have 1 highchair and a sign posted that reads something about kids not being really welcome- It is one of those Joke signs, but I still found it tacky and thought they might be serious since they do not have a kids menu or another highchair. Our booth was very cramped and the seat back was loose so I kept disturbing the gentleman behind me every time I moved. My husbands steak was very plain. It had no flavor. My burger was good. The fries were excellent. Our server seemed over whelmed their was another large party there in the room we were in and the other couple that were sitting behind us. She didn't mention the specials so when we heard them offered to the other tables we were bummed. Service was very slow. The bar area was packed so I think that had something to do with it. I would try them again...let them be re-open for a little while.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Went to stop in for dinner on Saturday and found a "Temporarily Closed" sign out front....No idea where they'll be reopening......

Reviewed 26 March 2014

By far the worst food I have ever had. Most frozen and heated. It was so bad the first time I went, that I had to go again just to see if it just was a bad night for the chef, nope, its that bad all the time. Why this place is still open is a mystery, Even if they had ok food they would be doing a great business because of the location.

3  Thank Eddie H
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Looking for a good burger menu at a reasonable price this is your place. The burger menu has unique choices and comes with a heap of fries.

Been to Black Hall Grille? Share your experiences!