“Better Than Expected”

Super 8 Old Saybrook
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Old Saybrook

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My fiance and I stayed here for one night, thinking it would be a good alternative to a pricey resort 1 mile down the road where we attended a wedding. After all, all we needed was somewhere to dress for the party and somewhere to crash afterwards.
The good:
1. Good-sized room with a large-screen TV and a fridge.
2. Location right off I-95.
3. Our room was quiet, presumably because our room was away from the road and looking towards the pool.
4. A very robust air conditioner kept us cool.

The bad:
1. A large insect crawled out from under the bed. I admit I don't know what kind of insect it was before it was dealt with (not by me).
2. My fiance needed to iron his clothes before the wedding. After plugging in the iron, the room filled with a nasty smell. At first we took it to be dust from an unused iron, but it turned out there was some kind of reddish substance caked onto the iron. Thankfully, we noticed it before using it and ruining the clothes.
3. We called the front desk, but it took almost 15 minutes before they were able to find another iron. The front desk clerk was very apologetic, but this really should have been checked ahead of time.
4. Some of the furniture was dusty, particularly those areas not often used, such as shelves under the nightstand.
5. There was a musty smell in the bathroom.
6. The towels were more like loofas, removing a whole layer of skin (but presumably improving our circulation).

While the price was definitely significantly below that of a pricey resort, it wasn't so low that it made these kinds of issues acceptable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool (and away from I-95).
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SLJack
umeshOldSaybrook, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Old Saybrook, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
First, we are terribly sorry for the delay in responding to your review. Please accept our sincere apologies for your discomfort during your stay. Our system did incur a glitch that resulted in your room discrepancy. I would like to inform that once a week our pest control team check every single rooms very deeply. When you saw the insect in your room, you had to call us right away at the front desk what issue you have it and as first priority we change your room right away and solve the issue. We did not get any reply from you in your whole stay. Same thing about the Towel, If you does not comfortable with Towel we must change your towel right away but we did not get any reply from you.We understand how disappointing it is getting iron late from our desk people and to have your experience be less than wonderful. We hope that you will return so that we can exceed your expectations during your next stay! Please contact me to book your next visit.

Front Desk Manager
Danbury, CT
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Right next to railroad tracks. I asked twice for a quiet room. They completely and falsely assured me that the room would be quiet. Amtrack trains screamed by all night. The building actually shook. And as an aside, the hair in the shower wasn't a pleasant discovery. Not going back- ever.

• Stayed August 2014
umeshOldSaybrook, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Old Saybrook, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for the review. We appreciate the choice of staying with us during your recent trip to SUPER 8. At the SUPER 8, we are offered best service and delicate our best efforts to support and maintain a clean and health environment to our guests. We are so sorry to learn that your experience of the stay was less satisfactory because of getting noise of Train. I would like to inform you that you checked in our property at night time and After 12:00 am we will never hear the screaming noise as you say in your review of train because of no schedule time on night. I would also inform you that our housekeeping department will taking serious attention to clean the bathroom very deep. If you any other query please feel free to contact us anytime if you want to further discuss about the issue. Once again, we value your patronage. We sincerely hope to having the opportunity to sever you again in future.
Collins Chu
Lock Haven
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I am in the room now. Let's start with the good things. Room is nice size. Could use some updates, but furniture/decor is okay. Nice TV. Sheets and towels look clean, bed spread not so much. Bed is comfy, heat/ac work well. Now the bad. The toilet rocks and not in a good way. It must not be connected to the floor. The reason I won't stay in a Super 8 again is because of the smell. The room smells terrible. When we first came in I thought it was a air fresher with a weird scent, but as time went on I decided it must be a air fresher trying to cover a bad, bad smell. I haven't tried the shower yet, but hubby says it's good. Pool looks nice, but it's 4 cool to swim.

• Stayed August 2014
umeshOldSaybrook, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Old Saybrook, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
We appreciate your comments of your recent stay at the SUPER 8. We are so sorry that your overall experience was disappointing due to deficiencies in some areas during your stay. Please accept our sincere apology for the conveniences caused, rest assured, we have taken your feedback very seriously and have begun in rectifying all the issues with concerned departments and personnel for the attentions and improvements specifically for the toilet and smell in the room . We value guest feedback, they allows us to better improve our service and offers to not only meet exceed our guests’ expectations. Your detailed review has given us valuable information on the guests’ perspective and to that we are grateful. On your next trip in town, I invite you to contact me directly in making the reservation. I will personally assure you of a pleasant and enjoyable stay with us. Once again, we value your patronage and comments. We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the nearest future, and your experience of SUPER 8 in time.

Old Saybrook, Connecticut
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was very comfortable! The couple who manage the hotel were very nice, friendly and accommodating. It is right off the interstate 95. The parking spaces are right where the rooms are and at night the property is well lighted. The room was clean and stylish, supplied with all the extras one could want! Free internet, flat screen TV, coffee, plenty of lights and outlets. Good water pressure in the shower, good counter space as well. The free continental breakfast was set up nicely, self serving and fresh. The price was very reasonable. I would recommend this hotel and certainly would stay here again!! Thank you for a nice stay!

Room Tip: Lower rooms are easy to unload as the parking is right in front of the room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
umeshOldSaybrook, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Old Saybrook, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Great review! We really appreciate you taking the time to do this. Our location certainly can’t be beat, with most of the major tourist spot so close and accessible to. We are happy that you have found our room clean, spacious and quiet. We also happy that you liked our Superfast Breakfast and all other amenities during your stay. We do have a wonderful staff here really goes above and beyond their duty to making sure your stay is perfect. We are so glad that you have had a lovely stay with us. Hope to see you again in the soonest future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Old Saybrook
Liberty Inn
Liberty Inn
#7 of 7 in Old Saybrook
Madison Beach Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to Super 8 Old Saybrook? Share your experiences!