“CT Traveler”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The entertainment was good ; would recommend to go here for the music.

The food was so, so ; I should have eaten at home.

Disappointed !

1  Thank Elizabeth G
There are newer reviews for The Blue Crab Steakhouse

Reviewed 12 June 2014

A little disappointed with this restaurant. I came across it by chance driving from Old Saybrook. I really needed some WiFi and some food so this should have been a means to satisfy both.

While the atmosphere and seating was cozy enough, the waitress who served me this evening really did not know a thing about the restaurant. She was polite and friendly, but really, couldn't answer a single one of my questions about anything without needing to run and ask someone.

The first question was about the WiFi which I really did need. She came back a minute later saying that they don't have any installed. I quizzed her: what about the password protected network labelled 'BC'? (Sounds a little like Blue Crab, wouldn't you say?!). She then said, "no, it can't be ours". Later I asked the manager, and he said no, you can't join it, its a private network. Ok, fair enough. Tell me that from the beginning then!

I ordered a beer for which she [the waitress] had to ask what beer they had, and then main dish was fried scallops. The food arrived quickly, but the chips were soggy and there wasn't nearly enough scallops for $14 worth.

The menu on the front claims "Seafood and fine dining" (or something along those lines). I can't say I had that experience, and should I have had proper internet then I would have probably avoided.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Six of us met here for dinner. Because we arrived when the restaurant first opened, we were told we had to order "off the menu" as they hadn't decided what specials to offer yet. Each of the three couples shared the Fennel Apple Salad and asked if they could be divided in the kitchen...we were told "no" and we would see why when it came out; there was really no presentation to the plate, and the only reason we could come up with them not doing it was that it would look very over-priced if they did it...

Main meals were so-so...no one was impressed, and portions were rather varied even for the same thing. When we were told about desserts, they had 2 slices of peach pie, 3 of something else...very strange for so early in the evening...

We were also overcharged for the house wine...we questioned it, and the waitress was rather curt about it; when she checked, she told us that that the price had been changed, but not on the menu...but she did correct it...

This is not a place we would rush back to....there are so many more better places throughout the region.

1  Thank HungryandTraveled
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Looks like your average hole in the wall when you walk in. Ordered the 7 oz filet mignon but they were out- it was only 6:30. Ordered the lobster mac and cheese and was extremely dissapointed. First, the noodles were egg noodles, not macaroni. There was four pieces of lobster on it. For 15 dollars i should have gotten the whole lobster put in their along with noodles and sauce. And the sauce reminded me of alfredo mixed with some velveeta. Not impressed and way overpriced.
My boyfriend ordered the blackened rib eye which was extremely bland and rubbery. I think the meat was frozen prior to cooking.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We went to the Blue Crab Steakhouse on a Sunday night for dinner. My daughter and I both ordered the 7 ounce filet mignon, and it was cooked exactly right although the peppercorn sauce was quite bland. For sides, I had broccoli and mashed potatoes, both of which were average, nothing special. My daughter had the carrots The service was great and we enjoyed the live music we could hear in the lounge area. Overall it was a decent meal at a fair price, just not memorable.