“Go for the Ice Cream!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Tissa's Le Souk du Maroc - CLOSED

Tissa's Le Souk du Maroc
Price range: US$7 - US$28
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Kate's fine confections specializes in handmade fine chocolates, candy, baklava and pasties, tea, coffee, artisan hot chocolates, and imported and old fashion candy. On scheduled eveingins by reservation only we host prefixed Moroccan dinner nights known as "Dining at Tissa's". We also offer prepared Moroccan Meals to go to take home and enjoy.
Willington, Connecticut
“Go for the Ice Cream!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were excited to try Tissa's after reading the reviews. But I have to tell you, we were very disappointed. There are only 4 tables in the dining room, and I think we waited close to 90 minutes for our food. We were told it may take a while to prepare, but we wanted to try it. We ordered sandwiches/wraps, 90 minutes????? As a group of 4, well traveled, we didn't really care for the seasonings on the food. Oh well. The redeeming quality of the place lies with their (J. Foster's) ice cream. We did return for numerous visits for ice cream.

• Visited June 2014
Kathy1972100, Owner at Tissa's Le Souk du Maroc, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
If you came on a busy evening it could take up to 40 min for your food but NEVER has it taken 90 min for my food to leave the kitchen. The only thing I can thing that could have caused a delay of that incredible nature is if your ticket had been pushed to the back of the orders by accident. I cook to order as the orders come into the kitchen. If this was the case I do apologize. Moroccan food, to me, is one of the most incredible cuisines of the world but it is not to for everyone. John at J. Fosters does and incredible job making ice cream for us and I am pleased that you enjoyed it.

Groton, CT
“A Little Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Tissa’s was a delightful surprise. The food is exquisite and exotic. I grew up on Middle Eastern food (Greek) and this Moroccan is a whole different take. We had Lamb tagine, which they gladly split to share and it was plenty for two. Lamb, potato, vegetables and fruit served over just the best couscous. We ordered it spicy and it was not so hot as to take away from the taste. And what taste – fresh, flavorful and full.
They have their own line of homemade ice cream in flavors both familiar (butter pecan) and exotic (rose). The Moroccan ice cream flavor was full of dates, figs, nuts and sweet spice (I think cardamom). It was grand. You order by the scoop 1, 2 or 3 in a cup or cone. This is real, rich ice cream.
The service was great too. Place your order at the counter inside and take seats inside or out and they bring your food and return to see if you need anything else. Drinks are limited to tea, exotic juices (like aloe pomegranate) and soft drinks. I imagine they allow you to bring wine but call and ask first.
If you visited when the place was an ice cream bar with Middle Eastern and North African groceries, it is far better now as a restaurant. The groceries now are mostly a vast selection of Moroccan candy and dried fruit.

• Visited June 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved it!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Great food, and great staff. A new favorite!! Very authentic food with lots of flavor. The staff are very friendly and kind.

1 Thank Kate M
Ledyard, Connecticut
“Holy Moroc-amoly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

First time tried this restaurant. TERRIFIC! Odd little ice cream parlor with N. African over tones but a tasteful delight. I had apricot chicken tagine, hubby had lamb sausage tagine. Both came tihe a sa lovely salad, bread with oil and all wonderful. You've gotta give it a try.

• Visited May 2014
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
“If you are anywhere near Old Saybrook you should stop in”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We randomly picked this one from Tripadvisor when we were in the area, I am glad we did. Tripadvisor having this number one is spot on. Unfortunately for us a bit far away for a regular stop but anytime we are driving north I will find an excuse to stop in. We had one Tangier and one Hummus Kawarma followed up by some turkish delight.

• Visited April 2014