“Could it have been 'the best sandwich'…ever?”
Review of J.A.M.S.S. - CLOSED

J.A.M.S.S.
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
San Diego, CA
“Could it have been 'the best sandwich'…ever?”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband and I traveled to CT for some prime leaf peeping (beginning with “Fall Foliage Tour...River Rambles Along Route 9) in addition to visiting some charming little towns, such as Old Saybrook.

I compiled recommendations from fellow T.A. contributors and came up with three options for lunch in Old Saybrook. When we first arrived at J.A.M.M.S. location in a very plain strip mall, I had second thoughts about our selection. We stepped inside and found the cheerful country-style cafe to be nearly empty, which could have caused another ‘second thought’ but we sat down at a window table and perused the menu. The options were tempting and our decision was a tough one.

My husband chose the Monte Cristo sandwich and I chose the Grilled Reuben. The descriptions (on the menu) of these sandwiches fit them toe a tee...in fact didn’t do the actual sandwiches justice. The Monte Cristo was definitely on ‘Texas toast’ but the real standout here was the ham. The careful selection of premium ham the owner/chef made was clearly worthwhile and he surely didn’t skimp on the portion of these delicious thick cuts of meat. My Grilled Reuben was much the same, grilled to perfection with a generous amount of pastrami and cheese. Could this be the best sandwiches...ever?!

J.A.M.M.S. is family owned and operated. We got warm friendly service and it’s evident they work hard to please. I thought it was charming that the chef whistled while he cooks. It’s apparent that he enjoys what he’s doing. They have a great thing going when it comes to the menu and food.

The only suggestion I would make is to improve on ‘curb appeal’ - which might not be necessary for loyal local customers, but could make it more inviting for newcomers. Maybe a few potted plants or a long flower box outside their window would be enjoyed both from the inside and the parking lot.

• Visited October 2013

“Disappointed”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I had seen this restaurant featured on a local new cast. Unfortunately I was very disappointed with my visit. I did wait a while to be seated but this place is very small so it was to be expected. When I finally was seated it them over an hour to bring us our food. The wait would've been fine if the food was good. It wasn't. Both the things ordered came to our table cold and were very bland. My "naan" bread was nothing more than a cold pita. The "sausage gravy" was a white sauce with a large chunk of sausage in the middle. Fortunately the servers were great.

• Visited October 2013
Shelton, Connecticut
“Not sure it's worth the waiting”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

J.A.M.S.S. has great reviews on TA and Yelp, so maybe we were there on a bad day....but, we were staying overnight in the area and decided to bike here to have breakfast because of all the great reviews. I really don't think it was worth it. The first thing that was a bid of a turn off was the cramped atmosphere. We had to wait outside int he boiling hot sun to be seated because the inside is so small there is no where for customers to stand. Once seated I felt like there were people constantly lurking next to our table waiting.

It took a while for our order to be taken. I ordered french toast with a side of bacon and my husband ordered an omelette. It took more than 25 minutes for our food to come out and once it did it was okay, nothing spectacular. DH was very disappointed by the "hash browns" which were nothing but boiled unseasoned potatoes. So, I don't think we will be going back when we are in the area.

• Visited September 2013
Old Saybrook, CT
“Variety Abounds”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I don't stop here often because I'm either on a diet or the line waiting to get in is stretching across the parking lot. J.A.M.S.S. is tiny, just 9 small tables and 4 seats at the counter, but the variety of choices for breakfast is incredible. The menu is extensive. My wife had the portabella omlette and I had the turkey sausage scramble. Mine had chunks of turkey sausage, mushrooms, spinach, jalapeños & cheese mixed into the scrambled eggs. Not overly spicy it was both filling and delicious. Family owned and operated, these people work extremely hard to please.

Only complaint is that the wait staff is a bit young and can be a little forgetful, so you may need to ask for something like a glass of water twice. Because the place is so small, it fills up very quickly, especially on summer weekends. So be warned. There are a few bistro tables outside along Rt.1.

• Visited August 2013
Old Lyme, Connecticut, United States
“Dining and Catering”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We have enjoyed the excellent food, the imaginative and innovative menu, and the very good service almost as long as they have been open. Therefore we decided to hire JAMSS to cater for a family and friends cocktail party for 40 odd people.
We made the right choice. Not only were the selections varied but they were favorably received by everyone present. Individual favorites included brie in a puff pastry, crab cakes, meatballs in an incredible gravy,shrimp, and asparagus wrapped with roast beef. Even the roast beef, Roquefort and mango pinwheels, which were a challenge to eat as a passed hors d'oeuvre were well worth the effort and delicious.
The server heated everything to the right temperature, made sure everyone was offered all varieties, and cleaned up everything as she went along so that when the guests had departed there was nothing left for us to do except relax and relish a grand evening and event with family and friends.
The cost was reasonable.
Would we use them again or recommend JAMSS to others? Absolutely without reservation. We are quite confident you will be as pleased as we are.

• Visited August 2013