“Mediocre at best”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Has been awhile since I've been to the Cuckoo's Nest because each prior visit was lackluster. Decided to give it another try since the restaurant advertises a new owner; OK someone who has been at the Cuckoo's Nest for years but nonetheless thought there might be some changes. Obviously not. Food still is unimpressive, bland and certainly not attractively plated. Prices are well above other Mexican restaurants - actually quite high - and not competitive with restaurants head and shoulders above this one. And, I still can't get used to being identified as "You guys" by the hostess seating me. Hard to understand how Cuckoo's Nest is given high marks by locals but I for one will not be returning any time soon.

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I came here a couple of years ago and remember having a great experience. I was in the area with my boyfriend and another couple and thought we would give it a shot. It was pretty busy which is usually a good sign. We were seated right away which was also a good sign. Then things started to go downhill. I ordered a coconut Margarita, and I never get margaritas so I was pretty excited about it. It was watered down and didn't taste like coconut at all. The waitress brought us some free chips and salsa but the basket of chips was so tiny that between the four of us, it was gone within minutes and she never brought anymore. The prices I think are very high. Every other Mexican restaurant I frequent is either lower or if they are the same, the quality of food is much better. When the food finally came out, all four of our dishes contained CRUNCHY rice. Like it was boiled and then left on a burner or under a heat lamp and became completely disgusting. I ordered a chicken burrito and the chicken was overcooked and I had about a half a breast of chicken in there that wasn't cut up at all. Flavor was completely lack-luster. My friend ordered a combo with a burrito, enchilada, and empanada and ordered different meat for each. When his order came out, all the meat was mixed up. I can't say how disappointed I was because I remember this place being good and it was honestly the worst Mexican food experience, possibly even worst food experience all together. Not sure if they are under new management or something, but they need to make some serious changes in the kitchen.

1  Thank Ksilva620
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Hubby and I stopped in, (after swearing that we wouldn't go back to Cuckoo's Nest ever again), for lunch today around 1pm. It was 55 degrees outside and very windy. Only three other customers in the building and the heat was off. It was warmer outside! Asked waitress to turn on the heat several times. Finally, when one of the owners friends came in and openly complained about the cold, they apologized to her and then turned it on. Food is mediocre and the place needs a serious update. If you are in business, treat your customers kindly and please, turn on the heat. We couldn't wait to leave and this time, we will not be returning. Neighboring Alforno's has owner attitude issues too but at least the food is amazing and the atmosphere is pleasing.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Dropped in for lunch on a Saturday after a morning at the outlets. Ordered the street tacos (one order of the pork and one of the bbq steak so we could share). They were both very good, although the taco on the steak tacos fell apart. Flavor was good, the meat was tender. The beans were pinto and not the typical refried variety. Salsa and chips arrived quickly, the drinks took a bit longer than I might have expected them to take, but beyond that the service was good. All in all, we had nothing to complain about and the place was packed. Because it was packed, the noise level was a little high, but we could easily hear each other. Plenty of parking. We plan to give it another shot.

1  Thank finegael
Reviewed 8 March 2014

my recent trip to the cuckoos nest restaurant was absolutely horrible, I ordered nachos with scallions and tomatoes with the spicy beef on the side. The food arrived within minutes literally which was a bad sign to me...how can they cook it so quickly?? The cheese was barely melted on the nachos, which I was hard pressed to find the scallions and tomatoes which I paid xtra for, and the spicy beef was cold, I sent it back for a reheat and within minutes it reappeard again, this time the cheese still barely melted and the spicy beef was "steaming" a good sign it was microwaved!!!! I dug into the middle with my fork and yes it was still cold and definately microwaved...a sin in any good restaurant...worst of all was receiving the bill and realized the bud light draft my husband was drinking was $4.50 a piece!!!! planned on coming here for my birthday dinner in 2 weeks but have squashed those plans and will visit my favorite never can go wrong restaurant with excellent food every time..the chowder pot in branford....

1  Thank Jozeee2014