“Restaurant needs extra help”
Review of Fresh Salt

Fresh Salt
Reserve with OpenTable
Fresh Salt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 79 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Price range: US$25 - US$38
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 154
Description: Named Best Waterfront Dining and Best Seafood by Connecticut Magazine in 2016, Fresh Salt serves seasonal and locally inspired meals. Our tables overlook the waters of the Connecticut River where the fresh river meets the salt of the Long Island Sound. It's a treasured and historic spot with a natural environment that is rich in life. Fresh Salt restaurant reflects that lively diversity: We have a raw bar, a seasonally varied menu, and offer as much as we can from the farms, brewers, cheese makers and other food enterprises that are springing up around our region. Fresh Salt delivers a dining experience that's comfortable and relaxed. Our staff is here to be of service to you, our kitchen stands ready with fresh ingredients, a deep wine cellar and carefully crafted fusions of foods and beverages that bring tastes together in delicious and new ways. We have tables by the fire, at the bar, and in season offer seating outdoors on the Fresh Salt Terrace. Awards include: - Best Brunch, Best Waterfront Dining, Best Seafood, and Best Hotel Dining from Connecticut Magazine, January 2016 - Named Upscale Restaurant of the Year by Connecticut Restaurant Association, December 2015
ct
“Restaurant needs extra help”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My husband and I decided to visit the restaurant, Fresh Salt, on Saturday, July 21st and decided to sit outside by the firepit rather than wait over an hour for a different table. It took at least 10 minutes before we could get anyone's attention to ask if a wait staff person was assigned to our seats. Within a short time the busboy brought over menus and said someone would be right with us. A waitress did come right over and took our drink orders and then after some time waiting for our cocktails, we gave our meal choices, soup and then salads for our main entree. The food was all right. The waitress didn't check on our meals and then forgot to bring the 2nd cocktail that I ordered. We ordered coffee, my husband regular and I ordered decaf. My decaf was barely warm (brought by another waitstaff person holding a craft) which apparently doesn't keep coffee hot. Neither the waitress or the other gentleman who brought my coffee even asked if we wanted more. Two other couples seated near us were not really impressed with the flavor of their meals. We were disappointed with our experience at "Fresh Salt". A facility of this caliber should do better than this.

andyabels, General Manager at Fresh Salt, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
We should do better, you are correct. I am sorry that we did not.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Mystic, Connecticut
“The Bad, The Ugly and The Worst................”
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I don't usually write reviews, but this time I have to, I have been to this place a few times over the last 3 years, it was good for the most part, but this last time it was a complete DISASTER,

Food : If you are willing to wait hour's for mediocre. overpriced and cold food, then go.
Service: mediocre at best
Ambiance: Loud and the stress from the staff is very visible and also with very rude hostess

On a night when we went a few tables around us were complaining about the wait to the point that became a joke and we were making bets to see who got the food first ( not good), finally when you do get the food it's just mediocre, great view of the water but that doesn't saves all the other problems in this place, something has been going very very wrong, I hope they can realize this and do something about it because it is a great place. But not till then we will not o back.

3 Thank john l
I am very sorry that you had a poor experience. I'm most disturbed that someone was rude to you. We will take your comments seriously and do our best to prevent it from happening again.
Marblehead, Massachusetts, United States
“Brunch, Dinner or Breakfast - wonderful”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The service at every meal was excellent. The brunch offers a sizeable variety and all was delicious.

Visited July 2012
New Haven, CT
“Overrated...”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

beginning with the location - nice, for a marina, but otherwise nothing special. Nice outside patio space overlooking the marina but difficult to see any coast from most of the tables inside the restaurant. Service was mostly friendly and generally average but nothing special. Food was average but nothing special. Prices were higher than they should be. My impression is they feel they can charge high prices because of the location but it's just not that special. I have no problem paying fair prices for a very good meal but not for mediocre food. I left feeling like I don't need to go there again.

1 Thank GBGBNewHaven
I am sorry that you were not particularly pleased. It is quite unusual that someone thinks the location is not spectacular. I figure it is okay to raise that point since we take no credit for the natural beauty of the place.
new england
“Great Location Horrible Service”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

It seems they can n ot handle big weekend crowds. manager at least apologized and provided all drinks a wine gratis. Food which took an hour and 1/2 to arrive was average. Location is nice.
Stick to week days it may be better.

1 Thank ctgolftravel