“really good food, really kitschy decor”
Review of Saigon City

Saigon City
Ranked #48 of 84 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: Thai, Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Had a terrific dinner here. All of the food was great. Strange decor: colonial house with shabby kitschy decor.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We are from the Hartford area where the Asian community is huge and the restaurants are very competitive resulting some excellent food. I am particularly interested in Vietnamese Food (which is practically non existent on the shoreline). We have been to Saigon City a number of times, mainly because we love to eat Vietnamese food because we love it and it is near our home.

The atmosphere is very nice and cozy. I ordered Fresh Rolls which were very good. They came with a thin sauce that they said was peanut, but is was not something I was used to. Usually peanut sauce is thick and tastes peanuty - this did not. I order the Pho soup for my main dish. It was OK. The broth was very bland with noodles, chicken. Not too exciting. My husband order the Vietnamese Pancake which was the best he had ever had. It was loaded with pork, chicken, and shrimp done to perfection. Next time I visit I will definitely get that. I also love Pad Thai and intent to order that when I visit next. I also felt the prices were a little high compared to Hartford. Oh well, that must be the shoreline.

1  Thank Sanded
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Saigon City is located in an beautiful old building. The dining area has exposed beams and old wooden floors. There are beautiful pictures of Vietnam and Vietnamese artwork adorning the walls. The menu is extensive for dinner, although somewhat limited at lunch time, with all types of soups, salads, appetizers, and main dishes containing beef, poultry, pork, and seafood. They also have an excellent section of chef specials from which we ordered.

The Vietnamese spring rolls were excellent - my only complaint being they only give you two large rolls per serving. The coconut soup was awesome and the Thai hot & sour style soup lived up to its name. For the main course, I had the Saigon sizzling pancake - a crispy pancake/wrap filled with shrimp, chicken, pork, mushrooms and sprouts. My friend had the Saigon spicy shrimp - shrimp with peppers, onions, mushrooms cooked in coconut milk with plenty of hot peppers and spices and served with rice. He said it was certainly hot enough for him and loved it.

They serve great food but one warning, be sure you tell them if you want your food on the mild or spicy side. I am not a big fan of spicy foods and the spicy shrimp would have been to much for me, but my friend loved it. Also, the place tends to get busy, it was filling up as we were leaving. I don't know if they take reservations but you may want to call ahead and find out on weekend evenings.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

This restaurant offers a good atmosphere for Asian food, and lots of choices -- mainly Thai; good salads and specialty dishes. Be sure to ask about spice levels. They were able to make most dishes without hot spices. There's a Gelato shop next door that's run by the same management.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Saigon City resides in a home built in 1710. The exposed beams, wide-plank wood floors and fireplaces add cozy touches. The layout rambles, due to following the footprint of the 300 year old home; the parlor has become the main dining room, the living room is now a bright and airy bar/sitting area, there is also an ice cream take-out section in what appears to have been an extension on to the home, outdoor eating area, and more. Find your niche and enjoy your meal. Crispy duck was the hit of the evening. Just crispy enough, just lean enough, and flavorful. This served over mesclun greens. Lemongrass chicken had just enough heat (you choose the temperature when ordering) and a healthy dose of stir-fried vegetables. White rice on the side. Please note that, if you order brown rice instead, there is a $2 charge, which we were not informed of when we placed our order. It would have been helpful to be told this so that we were not surprised at the end. Otherwise, prices are moderate enough. Because of the low ceilings, you become privy to everyone's conversations. This was a nice find for us, and it should be for you.