“Great Italian food in Old Saybrook!”

Alforno Ristorante and Brick Oven Pizzeria
Ranked #24 of 81 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Alforno Ristorante and Brick Oven Pizzeria is a family-friendly restaurant run by a friendly family of Italian-Americans. We have a deep love for food and an even deeper love for sharing that food with our community. At Alforno, everything from our stocks to our bread is homemade with fresh ingredients, Tuscan influences, and a commitment to quality. Join us for a sip, a sweet treat, or an indulgent meal and experience for yourself all the flavors we're so fond of.
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Had a delicious Italian dinner here last night with my sailing buddies. Two of them had the lasagna, one had the sole or flounder special, and I had the hanger steak. We all shared the calamari which was tender and tasty, served nice and hot, not at all chewy or fishy. All was superb, just the right sized portions, great service. A little pricey, but that's fine when the food is this good. Looking forward to our next meal there.

There are newer reviews for Alforno Ristorante and Brick Oven Pizzeria

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I don't like to give bad reviews but when people from the Middle East pretend they're Italian and Jewish, this really strikes you as having bad character traits.I am a proud Italian American and was flabbergasted at the food we were given. The pasta had no sauce and had a gummy consistency. They gave us wrong orders and then the son argued with us horribly in front of other patrons. The whole family then began to speak to another table of middle eastern customers talking about us in Lebanese. We found that to be extremely rude. It's a trap. If you want some good Italian food, how to Tony D's in the theatre district of NYC. Steer clear of Alforno's. By the way, it is super expensive and they give you broken pieces of pizza bread as "pretend focaccia" .

1  Thank LuciaLucia
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Each time I visit my daughter in Connecticut, I look forward to dining at Alforno. It's a delightful surprise the first time you enter the restaurant. The exterior is quite unassuming, but the interior is upbeat and contemporary. The bread is to die for. I always purchase a couple of loaves on the way out. The owner is always on premises and is happy to spend time with the patrons. Our waiter, Claude, is entertaining and very efficient. The cuisine is divine and varied. Please do yourself a favor when you visit Old Saybrook and take time to enjoy Alforno. You'll put it on your list of favorites.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

One of the few Italian restaurants that was STILL amazing after our trip to Italy. Great food, great service, and a nice casual but upscale vibe. Good wine too!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Alforno is always a little surprising. How can such a decent place be in a creepy mall? It is and it is. The specials are uniformly good and seasonal. The by the glass wine selection is good: last time, my wife had a very good Rosso di Montalcino (not the usual selection.) It is not as Tuscan as it claims to be but then how many Italian restaurants ARE completely of the region it claims to represent?

Why not 5 stars? First, I husband my stars and four is about as much as I can give. Second, the seating is a bit close and I find the place a little too noisy.

One piece of advice: Avoid the "overflow room" added to the side of the restaurant. It is uninviting. Fortunately, it is an overflow room and can be avoided if you ask.

Overall, very satisfying food and decent prices.