“Overprice bland food with HORRENDOUS service”

Otter Cove Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 84 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 18 July 2014

After ordering drinks waited a half hour to place our order for dinner. The waitress was extremely unfriendly and unhelpful. Claimed the asian nachos (some sort of fried noodle with dry chicken on top covered in wasabi--a few chips for $10) we're delicious and a little spicy. After ordering waited even longer to be served dinner. The lobster roll is very small and all of the 'small plates' are conveniently sized (on the small side for some people) but are far too over priced--the price one would expect for a normal dinner (15-20 dollars). After ordering i was very unsatisfied with my asian nachos and after only eating one I expected the waitress to notice and ask if something was wrong when she checked in on the table. Not only did she forget to check on us at all, when she did come back to wrap up leftovers I informed her that I did not want to wrap my food because I did not like it at all. She replied oh ok and handed me my check. She made zero effort to remedy the situation. I Informed her of her mistake on my receipt and hopefully she'll improve for the next table she serves. Overall far too overpriced to make it worth going, I will never go back. Many more places on the shoreline with better food (seafood especially) with much better service. Definitely do not recommend.

2  Thank Iizmel

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We found this place using our AAA book. Glad we stopped. As we were heading east from Ohio, we started looking more and more for seafood. This place had it. We ordered the seafood platter to split--and glad we did split it. It was huge! Clams, fish, shrimp, and scallops. We got sweet potato fries as well, which were great. We also had the mango tuna nacho appetizer, which was also quite good. Service was friendly and the atmosphere was nautical and nice. Clean bathrooms too, which is always a good sign.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We'd already had dinner and stopped here, because my (new) wife used to come often. They really were closing things down but kept the bar open for those of us content to hang out while they put the restaurant part of things to bed. The bar tender and servers took great care of us, and the owner even stopped to visit a while. A couple of guys acquainted themselves with us and made connections to go sailing. Everybody knows your name . . . and their knots! My Glengiddich (neat) was, of course, terrific, and my wife's glass of Cab pleased her. We'll be back!

1  Thank jcwareham
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We were able to sit outside and loved the quiet, with the lovely water fountain. Loved the mango summer drink and the outstanding crab cake appetizer. My tuna was done perfectly as well.
Service was a bit shaky, but we were in no rush.

1  Thank Louisep1061
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I went to lunch at Otter Cove. We have been wanting to try it, and it is only open for lunch on Fridays and Saturdays. We arrived around 2PM, and very few people were there. Seated promptly, we ordered wine and appetizers. My husband's oysters were fine. I ordered "firecracker calamari". Nowhere did the menu describe the sauce as sweet. It was a thick, cloying hoisin-type sauce with a slight bit of heat. While the calamari was nicely prepared, the sweetness was overpowering and not to my taste. My husband's whole belly clams were quite good, and it was a huge portion of both the clams and crispy french fries. My crab salad was plated nicely with lots of sweet crab and lightly dressed. It was very good. Service was good, but we were not provided with an itemized bill, so we couldn't tell what the market price was for the oysters, nor could we check prices. Otter Cove is a decent restaurant with a nice decor, however the padded seats in the booths were ripped and unsightly.