“A good place to sit outside in nice weather and people watch.”

Penny Lane Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 79 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: American, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Connecticut
“A good place to sit outside in nice weather and people watch.”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I made reservations for dinner at The Penny Lane Pub & Restaurant. Our waiter was very polite. We ordered the meatloaf dinner with mashed potatoes and green beans which my husband enjoyed. I had the Caesar salad with chicken. It had perfectly cooked chicken and a very good dressing. We did not get any bread, I think the waiter forgot to bring it. We had dessert, my husband had the apple crisp and I had the molten chocolate cake with ice cream and whipped cream. The desserts were excellent. We have eaten here several times and always enjoy our meals.

Visited April 2014

New York City, New York
“Great Food”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We had an early dinner, the food was great, nice service. Try the "Prince Edward mussels" and the PLP burger with mushrooms and swiss cheese.

Visited April 2014
New Haven, Connecticut
“Decent Food, Good Beer”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Penny Lane is a British-themed tavern and restaurant with decent food and good beer. The waitstaff and bar staff are unremarkable but not bad, and the prices are what you would expect from the Eastern CT Shoreline. Not a bad place for a quick bite or a longer, casual meal. Do not expect anything spectacular and you won't be disappointed. I eat and drink here every few weeks and have no complaints. I think you will like it too.

• Visited December 2013
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
“Fine outside dining”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This pub has consistently good food, from pot pies, hamburgers, and fine dinners. Summer dining outside in the evening is a most pleasant. Inside the bar area is noisy but the environment makes this a pleasant dining experience.

• Visited December 2013
Hamden, Connecticut
“Not very memorable”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Everything about this place is completely mediocre. The menu is a little bizarre for a pub that
is trying to be an English/Irish theme pub. They have some odd choices that even include Thai. The food itself was just very bland. I think the chef has never heard of salt or seasoning. I got the hanger steak and my wife got the salmon. They were cooked OK but we found ourselves having to add salt and pepper a several times just to be able to taste something. The best part of my dish was actually the mashed potatoes. The beer selection wasn't very impressive compared to similar pubs I've been to. The service was just OK. They also crammed all the tables upstairs together so that it was a little uncomfortable.

Visited March 2014