“It's okay, still finding it's identity”

Tequila’s Authentic
Ranked #39 of 79 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: Mexican
Norwich, Connecticut
“It's okay, still finding it's identity”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Went here for lunch to try out this fairly new restaurant. The food was okay, but it didn't necessarily wow me. They start you with chips and salsa, as many Mexican restaurants do, the salsa was good, but the chips seemed a little too well done to me. For a meal I got the make your own combo, where I got a cheese enchilada and a chicken burrito. The cheese enchilada barely had any cheese at all it, it was so flat, that I really couldn't even see the cheese and all you could taste was the corn tortilla. The burrito was better with a decent amount of shredded chicken, although not too much else. Both were covered in a gravy like sauce, that added a bit of flavor, but if you weren't expecting it, you might not care for it. The meal also came with rice and beans. The rice I thoroughly enjoyed, as it seemed to have a good flavor and the beans were adequate, as it's hard to screw up refrieds. I would go here again, but maybe in a little bit of time, as they were still playing with their menu and also seemed to still be experimenting. As I said, the food was okay, but certainly wouldn't make me go out of my to go here, at least at this moment.

• Visited July 2014

Killingworth, CT
“Not sure yet, but so far I think it's okay”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Have only been here once and didn't eat a lot but it was okay. (Certainly better than the bland local competition). The chips were stale and the salsa lacks any real bite. The margaritas were excellent, the quesadillas were delicious but I'm not sure they were anything much better than you can make yourself at home. The menu is not extensive and I wish they had fish tacos which I think should be a staple. The mariachi band was very good (if a little too loud) and unlike most, one of them is a woman, who sings and plays the violin. But you'd better like them, because not only are they loud they methodically move from table to table, playing at every single one in turn--so you will be stuck with them whether you like it or not. The service was quick and efficient. The decor is colorful and the overall vibe is more like slick Cancun than funky Tex-Mex or northern Sonoroan. Will have to return to try other things on the menu, but watching food get delivered to other diners, the plates looked good.

• Visited July 2014
Palm City, Florida
“A pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

A friend and I tried Tequila's as we love Mexican food. The other Mexican restaurant in town has gotten away with murder with their food for years and we decided to see what it's like. We started off with Cuervo Gold margaritas, and although it took them awhile to make them (the server said the bartender was looking for this tequila in the back), the drinks were delicious, smooth with the right amount of alcohol. The menu had a good selection of food choices. We both had quesadillas with rice and beans, and were very good. Simple dish, but nicely prepared and the beans were particularly tasty. We'll definitely be back. The service was good, food fairly priced, and conveniently located. Even though the color of the exterior is a 'see in the dark' neon green, it's certainly easy to spot from the road.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank culver77
Connecticut
“Worth a try”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was our first visit to this restaurant. The decor is bright and colorful. The singer, while a nice touch, the sound system is too loud and a bit too distracting. The staff is young and inexperienced but quite friendly and eager to please. The food was "ok". The portions were good but it needed a bit more flavor and spice. Having been open a short time, the owner/manager did approach each table of diners and ask for genuine feedback. Hopefully with the feedback, they will be able to work out the kinks, and with a bit more training, it will be a better experience. We will certainly give it another try.

Visited May 2014
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
“Great, and I mean great Mexican food at it's best”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

If you went to dinner there during the first week, as we did, you would notice that the service was pretty bad, but the food and the menu were so good that we went back the second week. The service was improving as they worked out the wrinkles and better trained their staff. By the third week, and yes, we went back 'cause we love good Mexican food, the service was much improved and now is top drawer.

This is the real deal. Not just tacos and barritos, but a broad menu of excellent Mexican dishes, pretty much like you'd expect to get at a first class restaurant in Mexico City. This place is head and shoulders better than any Mexican restaurant I have ever been to outside of Mexico. And folks have figured it out, because the place is busy most nights, particularly Friday night when they have a Mariachi Band, which makes for a really fun evening.

If you like real Mexican food, not the Taco Bell variety, you will love this place.

• Visited May 2014