“disappointment” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Old Saybrook B&B and Inns
new york, ny
“disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2008

I wanted to share a review from a recent stay.
my husband and I were incredibly disappointed with the Deacon Pratt House, specifically with the Miss James room. I was shocked at the accommodations at the rate of $240 + tax per night. Room descriptions are misleading in certain respects, and flat out untrue in others.

I would not recommend this establishment at all. I gave my feedback to the owners, but they blamed the issues on the former owner of the B&B and took no responsibility.

A few things to mention - the fireplaces are not, NOT a fireplace at all. I found it absurd that the room listing read "fireplace" and there is no fireplace in the room - just a faux vent-less fireplace with fake logs with 2 sterno cans tucked behind! Who the heck wants to sit around and watch the flicker from a sterno, and have to pay more for it to boot?

Also, there was no AC in our room, which the room description listed there would be. We had a very difficult time sleeping in the muggy air without even so much as a fan to comfort us. I searched everywhere for the AC unit but alas there was none to be found. I even asked my husband to check Sunday morning in case I was losing my mind and missed it sitting in one of the windows. We didn't find it and without it we got about 2 hours of sleep.

If part of your amenity list is a Jacuzzi/whirlpool tub in the bathroom it is a bit deceitful to not tell guests in advance of booking that there is a whirlpool tub in the room but you're not allowed to use it after 10PM. Of course your can fill the tub and get in, but forget about your idea of taking a whirlpool bath before bedtime and then getting out to lay in front of the fireplace to relax.

Oh, and before I forget, the door to our room, which was in a separate building and lead to the outside, did not lock. The door did not even fit in the door jam correct and so it was opened a crack all night.

Overall, we were very disappointed with our stay and would not recommend this B&B to anyone.
I am not certain if other rooms are better - but from the pictures and descriptions it would be impossible to tell what you're really getting for the money.

We've spent much much less to stay at much much nicer establishments up and down the CT coast.

• Liked — garden
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank country_city_mouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
River Edge, NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2008

The Deacon Timothy Pratt Bed and Breakfast
May 29, 2008

My husband and I have stayed at many B&Bs and I have to say this stay was average. The place was beautiful, the room, and the china we ate off of for breakfast as well. The negatives I felt out weighed the positives. Our room was located on the first floor and was not mentioned on the website that it was right next to the front entrance and kitchen-very noisy/not private. Now when I go on the website it is mentioned after I spoke to the innkeeper about this--so that is good for future guests to know this in advance. Our room door had no key. We could lock it from the inside when we were in the room. When we left to sight see or go out to dinner, our room had to be unlocked. That made for an uncomfortable stay :( On our first night we even had a knock on our door around 9pm. On the second knock my husband answered the door and it was another guest asking us if we were housekeeping!
The breakfast smelled delicious but left us feeling we wanted more. Fresh fruit and some baked goods both days was nice, but at other B&Bs that would just be the "starters". I was expecting a piece of quiche or pancakes or something more ample than a slice of watermelon and a croissant/muffin. I guess we were spoiled at other B&Bs. Also, at other B&Bs they would have snacks throughout the day usually homemade and a variety of things. At this B&B there was a cookie jar filled with oatmeal raisin cookies that they claimed to be homemade but that was definitely not the case.
We were told that bikes were available to the guests in the garage. When my husband and I wanted to take advantage of this opportunity the garage was locked. Of course I thought, "so the garage is locked with bikes they say we can use, but our room can't have a lock"... So we did call one of the innkeepers twice. Once we left a message. The second time he picked up and told us how to get in. I just wished that when we were told about the bikes, we were informed about how to obtain them instead of wasting a half hour.
I loved the trip and we had a lot of fun sight seeing and going out.
Just in comparison because we have been to numerous B&Bs, this place would not be considered outstanding. Very average. Not horrible, but not memorable.

Stayed May 2008
eastern mass
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2008

we live in boston and were on our way back north from manhattan. we wanted a chance to stop and smell the roses.the deacon pratt b and b was definitely the place to do this.we arrived late in the afternoon and were taken to the sunshine room which was beautifully appointed with antique furniture in a very large room and the adjoining bathroom was also large. we were given a coupon to the dock and dine which is a fabulous seafood restaurant about one mile away on the connecticut river where it meets long island sound.the next morning, after a delightful breakfast, served by the ever smiling pat, we drove over the causeway and saw about 200 white swans swimming in the cove. all in all,this was a great place to spend a while and the staff at the deacon pratt did everything they could to make sure our stay was memorable.

• Liked — large well appointed rooms
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
ct
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2008

One of the reasons we picked this B&B was because of the fireplace in the room. Much to our disappointment the owners had "shut down" the fireplaces because of a unseasonable "heat wave" the week before. The weather on the day we arrived and the next day was drizzly and very chilly. As we drove down, we talked about it being perfect weather for a nice fire. Being New England, one heat wave in April does not mean the chilly weather is over. The owners need to take notice of this. Having stayed at other B&B's, we were also disappointed at the lack of hominess. We were greated quickly, rushed through the lay of the land. We never saw the owners again. The cook's personality left a bit to be desired as well and so did the breakfasts. I'm sorry to say that aside from the house being a beautiful historic house, we are hard pressed to find something to encourage us to return.

• Disliked — squeeky bed, fireplaces shut down, little to no hospitality
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2008

we had a great time! everyone was so nice and it was a very relaxing place to stay!

Stayed April 2008
Granby, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2008

My wife and I wanted a break from the turbulence engulfing our daily lives and discovered it at the Deacon Timothy Pratt Bed and Breakfast!
Patty, the innkeeper, welcomed us with a cheery, pleasant smile, then took wonderful care of us throughout our stay.
Our room, "The Library," was absolutely charming, with a lovely fireplace and a soothing Jacuzzi.
The inn is within walking distance of the town's shops, which we found fun and intriguing.
So, if you're looking for an escape to a different time (with all today's amenities) and setting, we strongly recommend considering this inn.

Stayed April 2008
massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2008

The weekend was very relaxing. The room was big and comfortable and the massage with Al completed the relaxation factor. Many wonderful restaurants within walking distance and a short drive away. Try the lobster bisque at Edd's but we would pass on the Dock and Dine. We will almost definitely return in the near future. Thank you so much for the great breakfast. The baked pears were delicious!

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Old Saybrook
Liberty Inn
Liberty Inn
#7 of 7 in Old Saybrook
Madison Beach Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to Deacon Timothy Pratt Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!