“Delightful staff and an easy overnight stay”

Pier Blue Guesthouse
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Old Saybrook
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Delightful, friendly staff at both check-in and check-out. Basic continental breakfast. Great location in Old Saybrook and one of the better-value hotels in the area.

Room was clean, but had a very musty smell. The window was wide open when we arrived, obviously in an attempt to eradicate the smell. Everything else was okay, though as per some other reviews below, the walls are VERY thin and we could definitely hear our neighbours walking around, watching TV, talking etc. Also, as the smoking rooms are situated on the level BELOW the non-smoking rooms, the smell of cigarette smoke often drifts up into the upper rooms. Not always pleasant.

I've stayed in better hotels ... but I've also stayed in much worse! The lovely staff and clean room make it a welcoming place for an overnight stay, but I probably wouldn't stay here for an extended period of time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

When we checked in late afternoon and we were given a room that was far from acceptable. The toilet was dirty an there were dust webs around the windows and walls. There was a very strong bad odor in the room. I asked at the desk for a different room. The second room was better, but not much. There were foot prints on the wall and the smell was mot much better At least the toilet was clean.
I had reserved the room on line at an agreed price. My husband checked us out and they over charged him $30. I had to call them to have it corrected. Some of our relatives stayed at the same time and their room was better. We stay in this area often because my daughter lives there. Take my advice and stay elsewhere.

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Porear
DaysInnOS, Owner at Pier Blue Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Hi there,

I'm very sorry your stay was anything but satisfactory. However, I do appreciate you taking the time to provide valuable feedback that I will pass on to the staff. We are working hard now and in the coming months to improve our facility so that all our guests have a pleasant stay at our Inn.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Days Inn Old Saybrook is a clean, clear and peaceful place to stay that is exceptionally affordable. The management and staff is extremely kind, helpful and friendly. While hotels like "Days Inn" and others like it may not be the "fanciest" around, I found this particular Days Inn more peaceful and energetically clear and calm than most other high-end hotels. As someone who is sensitive to energy and noise, I really appreciated the serenity and safety I felt in this hotel. I would choose to stay at this hotel for this reason over the other fancier, more expensive hotels in the area. Plus, it is located next to a beautiful pond and backs up to trees and nature, which adds to the peace and ambience. I highly recommend Days Inn Old Saybrook, and found it more clean and clear than any other Days Inn I have stayed at. The management is very loving and I could tell they truly enjoy their business and that makes a big difference and is reflected in the quality of life at this hotel. Thank you, Days Inn!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Allison G

Dear Allison,

Thank you for your glowing review of our Inn! You have a wonderful way with words and you express the essence of our neighborhood very nicely. I hope your journey brings you back to Old Saybrook and our Inn in the future.

As a family owned and operated business, we take great pride in trying to give our guests the most value for their hard earned money. Your kind words are very much appreciated and I will share your review with everyone at the property.

Thank you and be well.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed here for a business luncheon nearby during the off season in May. Staff were all very friendly and hotel met our needs. We even stayed over an extra day to take advantage of some of the local restaurants that were open. Very relaxing stay. Gotta be careful in the parking lot though as very tight and some of the guests race through it. Very basic breakfast provided free and eating area is very small but got the job done.

Room Tip: We had a first floor room and worked well.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I'm happy to hear your stay was satisfactory and all your needs were met.

We hope we can serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Overall the stay was fine but could have been much better. The walls are so thin that you can literally hear people breathing/snoring next door. I was repeatedly woken up throughout the night and early morning by the people next door by either them snoring speaking or their television. It was the most restless sleep I have experienced in a long time. The rooms were average bathroom was super clean (thank goodness) The front desk was super friendly

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your honest and candid review of our facility. I'm happy your overall stay was fine but I'm very sorry you didn't sleep well because of noise. I hope to have this issue resolved soon so that other guests won't have the same experience.

You're welcome to stay with us again and please mention the issues you had so we can make sure it doesn't happen again.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Madison Beach Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#1 of 8 in Niantic

Been to Pier Blue Guesthouse? Share your experiences!