“Good Times At The Marina”

Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Old Saybrook
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, NY
“Good Times At The Marina”
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We had the pleasure of spending a couple of nights at SPIS and we loved it! The room decor was cozy and warm and the view of the marina at night was something to be seen.
We booked the breakfast package which came with a bottle of wine each night along with a $25/person credit at their Fresh Salt restaurant, each day and it was really, really good.
The staff in the restaurant and front desk were super friendly and engaging.
Although its a very nice hotel, the atmosphere is very laid back and welcoming. We are already thinking about when we can go back.
The only downside with my stay was that the shower pressure was a bit anemic. Other than that, it was all bueno.

Room Tip: Marina view is a must!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review us here and on Yelp, Sam! I know our staff will appreciate your recommendations as much as I do.

Andy, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Colbert, Oklahoma
Reviewed 1 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at Old Saybrook Inn and enjoyed it so much. The room was beautiful and spacious. We had a water view and it was just beautiful. Our stay was very peaceful and serene. I didn't get to enjoy the spa but that is on my list for next time. I would recommend this property to anyone. We saw a wedding taking place there and it was a beautiful setting.

Room Tip: Ask for water front on the 3rd floor. Just beautiful.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for recommending us! I'm delighted to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your getaway to Old Saybrook so much. Can't wait to have you back to relax at our spa!

Taupo, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We have stayed at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa many times over the past 20 years and it remains one of our favourite destinations. The rooms are extremely generous in size and have great ambience. The area around the In is wonderful to walk the streets and observe the great architecture and neat well maintained homes. It is a great get away destination.

Room Tip: A must try is the pancakes for breakfast. The best ever!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tonyg8355
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 24 May 2013
To hear that our inn is one of your favorite destinations is such a wonderful compliment! We're lucky to have you as a loyal customer. Thanks for taking the time to let us know your thoughts!

'Til next time,
Western United States
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Don't get me wrong: I love this hotel. It is a beautiful building in an even more beautiful location. The food is delicious and the staff is friendly. It is also close to our adorable nephew and his soon-to-be-born sibling, which is why we plan on spending quite a bit of time here since we live in a far-off state. However, on our second visit this past weekend, we had a couple of problems. First, when we checked in late Friday night, we were placed in a room in which the smoke alarm was beeping, intermittently, in an insomnia-inducing manner. Unfortunately, we didn't realize this until I had already showered and slipped into bed. Despite this fact, the front desk responded quickly by placing us in a different and better room, a suite. (FYI, this made me realize that the standard rooms here are so nice that it is not worth it to spring for a suite because it's really not that different.) We were happy with this solution but we did feel bad for the people on either side of our former room because the beeping was quite loud and could be heard throughout the hallway. Unfortunately, however, the maintenance man had (understandably) left for the night.
We were less satisfied with the hotel's response to the next problem, which that our new room, a third-floor suite, was full of ants. Because we checked in late Friday and were gone most of the day Saturday, we initially thought the problem was limited to a few ants in the bathroom, which hardly seemed worth complaining about. But then, Sunday morning, my husband realized that ants were actually crawling through our bed and across his laptop. By then, it was nearly time for us to leave so we waited until checking out the complain to the guy at the front desk. He seemed suitably horrified and disappeared into the back room, seemingly to tell the manager. I thought he might at least offer us a discount but instead he returned, apologized and said that the hotel would inform housekeeping of our complaint--and that was it. At this point, my husband, who is very shy and does not like to complain about poor service, had dashed out to the rental car where he was cringing with embarrassment.(In fact, I was surprised that he was the one who had complained about the beeping smoke alarm--which should give you an idea of how annoying it was!) So I didn't want to press the issue. I just left. But next time this aunt visits her nephew, she may have to carry a can of Raid!

Room Tip: Don't pay more for a suite--the standard rooms are quite luxurious and nearly as spacious as the...
2 Thank Emily23
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the ants in your room! Rest assured that this is not an ongoing problem for us, so the next time you visit your room should be ant-free. While I'm glad you spoke up about it, I'm sorry you were frustrated that we didn't offer you a discount. Our Front Office manager has your contact information and is planning a follow-up with you as I type.

We value your feedback as much as we value your business; please know that we're listening to what you have to say. We look forward to seeing you again and congratulations on the soon to be newest addition to the family.

Regards,
Selden, New York, United States
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I attended a wedding of two young people that started working at the Point Inn and when the time was right they could not choose any other place to start their life together. I didn't get to use the Spa but it was beautiful. The service and food was great. They had the wedding on the outside terrace and then we went inside for the celebration. Not cheap but everything you could want.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the wedding, Anthony! We love taking part in those kinds of special occasions — especially when it's to celebrate two of our own. Hopefully next time you visit you'll be able to take advantage of our spa!

'Til then,
Bristol, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I was at the hotel for a wedding the setting was beautiful inside and out however the food was not outstanding and guests from the hotel kept walking in the reception area as well as the dance floor staff did nothing to prevent this from happening.

• Stayed April 2013
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback. While it's great to hear you love our scenic setting, I'm sorry you were frustrated with the guests who wandered into the reception. That certainly isn't something we tolerate, but it's sometimes difficult for us to distinguish who's with the wedding and who's not.

We want every couple who gets married at our hotel to have a perfect wedding day, so we'll definitely take your comments into consideration. There's always room for improvement, and I know your review will help us enhance our special events.

Regards,
Rhode Island
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We wanted to celebrate my daughters 11th birthday in a special place since this would be her first year not having a friend party. I chose Saybrook Point for the location, amenities and overall look of the hotel. It looked like some place she would like and enjoy. It is on the expensive side but we would have spent as much on her usual party anyway so that was a wash.
We drove from RI so we stopped at Mystic Aquarium first to kill time before the 4:00 check in.
We pulled into the parking area and found a parking space almost at the front door. We all went in and received a warm welcome from the front desk woman as well as the bellman. The bellman helped is with our bags and told us about the hotel as he walked us to our room on the 2nd floor. The girls (3 of them) wanted to go swimming ASAP so they got their suits on and we headed to the indoor pool. There were a few other guests in the pool areas - inside and outside. But there was plenty of seating available for us. The girls had a great time swimming. They liked the saltwater.
We had dinner reservations at the restaurant for 6:00. The hotel was extremely crowded at this point as there was a wedding taking place. The lounge at the front of the restaurant (as well as the hallways leading into the restaurant) was packed with people. The Kentucky Derby was also taking place so there were many ladies with large hats on in the lounge. We waited for about 20 minutes to get to our table in the restaurant. The wait was due to the large number of people in the entrance and the hostesses being so busy. The restaurant itself was not busy and we were seated at our table. The food was very good. They had a piece of cake for my daughter, I had put on the Open Table reservation that it was her birthday. Again, the restaurant was pricey but my daughter loved it.
We went back to our room which was a double queen bed. It was large, clean, and well appointed. I had ordered strawberries dipped in chocolate as well as a cake. They were both left in the fridge. We enjoyed these after our meal, the girls LOVED the strawberries in particular.
We called it a day around 10:00 PM. Unfortunately we didn't have a peaceful sleep. At 1:08 AM I was awakened by talking in the hallway. I thought the people would pass and the noise would end but they stayed there and started singing - loudly. The three girls were starting to wake up so I got up and banged on the door. The people started complaining about me banging the door, using profanity and saying they had just gotten married (don't know if it was the actual bride and groom). I yelled through the door that there were 3 kids in the room and to "shut up". I heard "sorry" and it got quiet. Thankfully the girls fell back asleep easily, I did not. I was up for another couple of hours only to finally fall asleep but then be awakened again at 5:30 AM. This time by the nightstand alarm clock, which for some reason was set. I DID NOT have a good nights sleep here.
We headed back to the pool around 7:30 AM. The girls swam for an hour before they decided they were hungry. They dried off and changed up and we headed back to the restaurant for breakfast. There was a good selection to choose from and we all were happy with our meals. The view from the table was beautiful. I would have liked to walk around the marina and just explore for a while but we had to head back to RI.
I would definitely recommend this hotel. Be prepared to spend some money but it is well worth it. The next time we visit I would like to stay more than one night. The whole area is so pretty, it would be nice to look around some more. I would definitely use the spa on my next visit too.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for your review! I'm thrilled that your daughter had such a great time celebrating her birthday with us. We're always honored when guests choose to stay at our hotel for a special occasion!

That being said, I'm so sorry to hear you didn't get a good night's sleep when you were here. We strive to create a relaxing environment for our guests, but sometimes disturbances like that happen and we are here to assist and mediate. If ever you experience this again, please don't hesitate to call the front desk. We're more than happy to help in those situations!

Can't wait to have you back for a spa weekend.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Old Saybrook
#3 of 7 in Old Saybrook
The Whaler's Inn
The Whaler's Inn
#2 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Saybrook Point Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!