“Enjoyable 4 night stay”

Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Old Saybrook
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We really enjoyed our time here from the minute we arrived.
Great location on the Marina, and friendly, helpful staff in all parts of the hotel.
Our room was large, well equipped with a comfortable bed and good pillows, and with a large bathroom, and a small but useable balcony looking over the Marina, waterways and pool.
Music in the evenings was fun with good musicians.
Loved the bar, with great cocktails and fresh oysters/clams to offer a change from the restaurant.
The "fresh salt" restaurant had it's moments but was pleasant on the terrace and breakfasts were varied and interesting, though we did have one bad experience which means that I would not recommend the omelet or the fritata, unless you eat your eggs heavily overcooked. Everything else was good, including the other egg dishes, so maybe the chef had one off day with our omelet/fritata morning. Lunches and dinners were ok and generally massive serves. The Frito Misto is big enough to serve 2, and the sandwiches would compete with a NY Deli for size.
Hard to get a strong coffee ... The lattes were pretty weak even with an extra shot of espresso, but coffee was not awful.
Only thing missing in the room was a safe in the room, which makes it easier for safeguarding passports etc., rather than having to carry it with you.
My wife said the spa was very good with well trained staff, and well worth a visit.
The breakfast included package is very worthwhile value if you are a breakfaster.
The Old Saybrook town is fun and interesting, and there are some pleasant towns around like Mystic and Essex, and some good restaurants like Otter Cove close by.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LesH211
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Thanks for your review! I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay so much. Hearing that you felt right at home from the moment you arrived at our inn made my day, and I know our staff will appreciate your compliments as much as I do.

We actually have safes available at our front desk, so be sure to ask for one next time you stay with us! We're already looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Let me first say that the inn is very well kept, the bathroom is very nice and the bed very comfortable. The staff at registration and checkout are very friendly. They have a shuttle that will bring you into the small town and pick you up when you call which is a nice perk. Now what I consider to be the bad points. I picked this place to get away for a night to a nice place, that had some entrainment, a happy hour with reasonably priced appetizers to try some new things, have a balcony to sit on in case it rained and have a nice breakfast in the morning. I read reviews and went on the inn's website. The website claimed they had a happy hour with a live band and rooms with balconys. To ensure there were balconies still available i decided to call to reserve rather than book online. I explained to the person I wanted to ensure that there was a balcony to sit on with a view in case it rained. She assured me that they had such a room. I asked about the cost of the room with the morning breakfast for two and it was $403. Per night. Although I thought that was a little steep for one night I figured it was going to be worth it to enjoy a nice night. What I got for the price was a nice room, with a balconey with a tiny table and two tiny chairs that my husband could barely fit on. I could have dealt with the small balcony, but what I had a hard time with was the balconey was not covered so since it did rain as I expected it would, I could not sit on it. At 5:00 we decided to go to listen to the music and go to the happy hour. When we inquired at the reception desk where the band was we were told they were sent home because it was going to rain. Nowhere on the website did it say weather permitting. We then asked about happy hour and was told they don't do that during the busy season. Again nowhere on the website does it say that. Needless to say I was very disappointed for the money I paid, but would just have to deal with it and was looking forward to a nice breakfast the next morning. I don't know if we got there on a short staff day or what the problem was but it was one of the worst breakfast I have ever had. My husband and I both had a glass of juice and he ordered an omelet with potatoes and wheat toast and I ordered two scrambled eggs with sausage, potatoes and wheat toast and we ordered waffles to share. About 5 mins. Later the waiter came back and said they were out of wheat toast. This amazed me since it was only 8:00am and they were already out of wheat toast, but oh we'll we ordered sourdough instead. After what seemed like a long time the breakfast came and it was honestly the coldest breakfast I have ever been served. It had to be sitting there for at least 10 minutes before it was served to us, the toast was like a piece of hard stale bread and came totally plain, no butter, no, jelly, no nothing and there was nothing on the table either. I did not get the sausage I ordered and there were 5 little barely cooked potatoes on each plate. When I had enough of disappointments, I just wanted to leave but I needed to know about gratuities and was told that even though we were on the breakfast package they would be bringing the bill to sign off on which will also show the full cost of the meal so we could base gratuities on that. When the bill came it was a little over $50. In my option they should be ashamed to serve food in that condition and charge that kind of money. I would say that if you want to stay in a nice room ,you don't care about anything else and money is no object than stay here. Otherwise stay away. I would also like to mention that when I returned from my stay there was an email from them asking about my stay and I wrote pretty much what I wrote here. That was almost a week ago and I have received no response from them, not even an Im sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. Guess they only respond to good comments and don't care if people are not satisfied. Luckily all was not bad, the next night we stayed at a Hilton garden inn for a third of the price and it was great.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anywearbuthere
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here and via our guest survey, Sandie. While I'm sorry you had so many disappointing experiences during your stay at our inn, I appreciate you taking the time to write about your visit in such great detail. This kind of feedback helps us pinpoint what we're doing well and where we can improve, and I know yours will help us do just that.

Again, I hope you'll accept my sincerest apologies for any unnecessary frustration we caused you; please know this wasn't our intention.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed four days from June 30 thru July 4th. From the time we checked in we knew we were in for a great experience. We booked a room with a water facing balcony, and that turned out to be a great move, as you can oversee the entire patio area, and listen to the live music that plays on the patio Mon thru Thursday. Plenty of amenities to keep you entertained, two pools, a sauna, a steam room, and a fully equipped fitness room with treadmills, at least 8 different weight machines, dumbells, etc. The bed was the most comfortable we have stayed in, the chairs provided in the room were equally comfortable, and the bathroom was laid out nicely, though there is no Jacuzzi for this room. The staff is friendly and accommodating. Though the Inn is not cheap by any means, it was money well spent, and we never left the property except to bike ride the area during the four days. We ate at the restaurant or ordered at the pool side bar and the food was very good, though pricey. There is a full service spa in the hotel, though we did not utilize it. I would recommend this Inn for those who want to be pampered and are willing to spend a little more money for it.

Room Tip: If you want quiet stay away from the patio as events are held there, however, if you like to hear li...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Drewman07

The most comfortable bed you've ever slept in? What an amazing compliment! Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay at our inn. Hope to have you back again to take advantage of our spa!

'Til then,

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Treated our son to a 2-night stay with his wife, toddler and Miniature Schnauzer. They had a great stay, loved the place. Not a pet-friendly beach, so that was a drawback, but otherwise a wonderful getaway.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ken_Blanchard

I'm thrilled to hear your son and his family had such a wonderful time at our inn, Ken! Did you join them on their getaway? If not, we'd love to have you stay with us soon!

Many thanks,

Reviewed 5 July 2013

My friends and I shared a wonderful dinner at the Saybrook Point Inn's restaurant, Fresh Salt. We sat outside on the patio with a view of the marina, water, and fire bar. We enjoyed the oysters sampler appetizer and the seafood cioppino along with some fine wines. The service was gracious, and the food was delicious. Our most guilty pleasure was the baked Alaska. The Inn is impeccably well maintained and beautifully appointed. Fresh Salt is a great destination for a romantic dinner or a dinner out with friends and family!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Heidi S

Thanks for your kind words, Heidi! We work hard to keep our inn running smoothly and looking beautiful, so it's great to hear you took note of our grounds. I hope you'll keep us in mind next time you're looking for a place to stay in Connecticut!

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Our daughter's wedding reception was held at Saybrook Point Inn, and families, wedding party and many friends stayed at the Inn. Our guests are still talking about the terrific cocktail party on the deck overlooking the marina and the wonderful reception. The food was delicious, the service impeccable, the ambiance perfect. The rooms at the Inn were spacious, comfortable, and beautifully decorated. The staff, especially Sarah and Paul, could not have been more accommodating. The marina staff even hoisted marine signal flags on the dock to spell out the newly married couple's name! All in all, a "picture perfect" wedding celebration at SP!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Thank you so much for following up with us after your daughter's wedding, Reilly family! It was our pleasure to host you and your guests, and we're honored you chose to celebrate this momentous occasion at our inn. There are few things we love more than a wedding!

I'll be sure to pass your compliments along to Paul and Sarah. I know they'll be as grateful for your kind words as I am!

Until next time,

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Rooms are beautifully decorated, and very relaxing.
Massage was OK, have had better. Hotel restaurant Fresh Salt was excellent.
Overall experience was great, and nice little gateway in upstate Connecticut.

Room Tip: Request a room with Marina view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your getaway to our inn! It sounds like you felt right at home in our rooms, which is exactly what we want for each of our guests. Hope to have you back again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Old Saybrook
Mohegan Sun
Mohegan Sun
#1 of 4 in Uncasville
Cliffside Resort Condominiums

Been to Saybrook Point Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!